[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>decide to buy some good ol' glass lenses because I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: optical cancer.jpg (54 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
optical cancer.jpg
54 KB, 640x425
>decide to buy some good ol' glass lenses because I'm quite the hipster poorfag and adapters for Canon EOS cameras are cheap
>end buying pic related on ebay
>find out 6 hours later this shit should be inside a landfill because thoriated glass
JUST

Also radioactive lenses thread, I guess.
>>
>>2767525
Put it out the windowsill into direct sunlight and it will lighten up the brown coloration.
Also it is a very sharp lens with that special kind of glow, it will make some nice photos.
>>
File: 1291832263778.jpg (57 KB, 685x567) Image search: [Google]
1291832263778.jpg
57 KB, 685x567
>>2767525
>Radioactive lenses

Shhieeeet... You learn something new everyday...

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>2767529
This.
Put it in the sun or under a bright light for a few days and the yellowing should clear for the most part. It's a good lens.
>>
>>2767534
There's plenty of those, mostly made after WWII. Even Kodak made some. Funny thing about this is that most of those thoriated lenses are for M42 mounts. The fuckers even made thoriated eyepieces for cameras so you could get rad vision while taking photos.

>>2767529
I heard it was a pretty good lens for what you paid, even compared to current EF/EF-S lenses and their prices.

>>2767529
>>2767537
Alright, I will try this. Also, do you have any special tip for handling this kind of stuff?
>>
>>2767541
the radioactivity isnt particularily dangerous. just dont look directly through the lens for several hours without glasses or contacts and youll be fine
>>
File: lens_20a.jpg (37 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
lens_20a.jpg
37 KB, 320x240
>>2767541
No need to worry about the radioactivity. It's pretty harmless.
As long as you don't smash the lens and eat the glass, or put it under your pillow at night you'll be all right.
>>
>not taking photos exclusively of spiders and letting them bite you so you can gain super powers
What are you even doing with your life OP?
>>
File: 0310.jpg (138 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
0310.jpg
138 KB, 1000x1000
>>2767541
If it's like Takumar 50/1.4, the radioactive element is the back one. It's not mildly radioactive like potassium or dangerously radioactive like polonium, just radioactive. It's safe to handle and use if you don't store it in your underpants for months / years or grind it to dust and use it to cut cocaine. About 1mr/h beta near the back element, undetectable at any distance.

My 1.4 required several hours of 120W mercury lamp to back element to clear about 2 stops of yellowing.
>>
>>2767525
super taco mores.
>>
>>2767541
you dont have to worry about radioactivity, as long as you dont use the lens for buttchugging
>>
>>2767541
the radioactivity is miniscule at best. just donĀ“t take the glass out of the lens and use it as a monocle, youll be fine.
>>
Bananas are also radioactive. Guess you should avoid those too OP.
>>
Banannas are radioactive you dingus. I bet you live in a jungle country, so eat one and equalize your radioactive levels by eating a bunch.
>>
Bananas are radioactive as well!!!!!!!
>>
>worrying about lense radiation

baka, little known fact, but bananas are known to be radioactive
>>
op was dead after an month's
>>
>>2767782
OP's friend here. When he dies, I'll sell his lens to NASA.
>>
File: shit.jpg (2 KB, 218x23) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
2 KB, 218x23
>>2767525
Ask me anything OP
>>
>>2767792
OP here. I know that thorium and other rad. elements have this thing called decay which emits alpha or beta particles + a small dose of gamma rays resulting of this process. I don't have any concern regarding alpha rad. of the lenses, but what should I expect about the resulting gamma?
>>
>>2770217
>but what should I expect about the resulting gamma?

UNLIMITED POWER
>>
https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/cameralens.htm

Some info on thoriated lenses there.

The average expected dose from using one heavily would be around 2mrem, and less than 1mrem for an average photog. To put that in context, the average annual dose for a normal person is about 350mrem. The lens is nothing to worry about.
>>
>>2770217
>what should I expect about the resulting gamma?
Just don't get angry and it shouldn't be an issue.
>>
I'm wanting to get one of the radioactive Canon FD 35mm lenses. They are apparently some of the best 35mm primes made.
>>
>>2767525
>disposing radioactive material in the landfill
you're the cancer here.
>>
File: 55m1.8.jpg (328 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
55m1.8.jpg
328 KB, 1000x563
I love my takumar. The radioactivity is really a non-issue.

Its a brilliant lens and I primarily use it for video. If anything the radioactivity is a 'hipster victory' point to bring up in conversation. Because really none of us on this board actually takes photo for artistic purposes, its solely to impress qt3.141s
>>
>>2770310
>1.8

:/
>>
>>2767525
SUPER MULTI COATED

T A K U M A R
A
K
U
M
A
R

Radioactive Takumars are best Takumars!
>>
A Helios is better and won't give you AIDS
>>
>>2767525
>radioactive glass

YOURE TELLING ME WE MADE LENSES OUT OF URANIUM GLASS?

WHO MADE THIS
WHAT BRAND/MOUNT
HOW MUCH CAN THEY BE HAD FOR
I NEED ONE NOW

PS: as long as you don't have a literal ton of this shit, you're perfectly safe, just dont break the fucking glass

>quick google
>thorium not uranium
we used this shit in propane lantern lights for DECADES
you will be perfectly fine stop being a baby

>50mm f1.4
fuck yea, now on the hunt, thanks for this information OP
does it add any effect to the render?
>>
>>2770571
>50mm f1.4 pentax sells for $80 all day long on ebay

AWWWWW YEAAA
>>
>>2770573
>>2770571
The f/1.7 is much sharper, just saying.
>>
>>2770577
Will note, thanks
>>
Radioactivity of the lens is less than you receive while standing in front of the microwave, mouth breathing on the window in anticipation of that cathartic *DING* which signals your next feeding frenzy.

You'll be fine.
>>
>>2770217
>what should I expect about the resulting gamma?
nothing
>>
Hey OP, has the radioactive element turned yellow/brown on your lens? I notice that apparently that's common.

If so, has it affected image quality or reduced the amount of light that's coming through the lens?
>>
>>2770767
This phenomenon is completely reversible. Just leave the lens exposed to strong sunlight (UV is what does it) and it'll be back to normal in a day or two.

>HOT GLASS FTW!
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.