[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, what does /p/ think of Lolympus Pen-F First impressions:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9
File: PENFbeauty[1].jpg (40 KB, 590x442) Image search: [Google]
PENFbeauty[1].jpg
40 KB, 590x442
So, what does /p/ think of Lolympus Pen-F
First impressions:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/history-repeating-olympus-pen-f-first-impressions-review

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 40D
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Exposure Time2 sec
F-Numberf/22.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/22.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length16.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
File: PenFbody11[1].jpg (256 KB, 1200x736) Image search: [Google]
PenFbody11[1].jpg
256 KB, 1200x736

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 40D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:01:26 12:19:44
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2754393
>and sleek rangefinder-style looks (reminiscent of Fujifilm’s X100 series cameras)

it looks exactly like the old Pen FT, NOT like le x100 memecamera. im gonna gut that faggot with a dessert spoon, fucking hell.
>>
eh.
>>
File: just-say-no.jpg (117 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
just-say-no.jpg
117 KB, 1000x1000
>PASM

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width1000
Image Height1000
>>
File: 6ab[1].jpg (9 KB, 322x238) Image search: [Google]
6ab[1].jpg
9 KB, 322x238
>>2754399
>>
I think it's interesting and shows Olympus are obviously refining their product line. If they ditch the EPM line and keep the rangefinder style on their new PEN line it'll give them 5 different niches filled, all the way from pro to amateur. The only odd one out is the E-M5 now - not as compact as the E-M10 and not as good as the E-M1. That said I wouldn't change mine for anything.

Also Panasonic really need to get their shit together and get the organic sensors out.
>>
it looks nice, but for the same money I could get a sony a7
>>
>>2754425
>full frame sensor meme
im pretty sure a7 fails against this one in every aspect
>>
>>2754438
maybe, but I'm not considering any of the two so why bother? I just wanted to say that the price of the Pen might be a little high right now. Apart from that I really like the design of the Pen except for the mode dial.. a shutter speed dial as it can be found at Fuji X would make it perfect in my opinion.
>>
fucking shit 1200$ is alot of money, i just need a 400$ mirrorless interchangeable lens hipster camera, WHY U NO DO THIS OLYMPUS
>>
>>2754448
used Fuji X-E1 + 27mm fits your budget, go for it hipsterboy.
>>
>$1300
>microfour thirds
>about 3 years late to the retro camera party

are they having a fucking giggle?
almost as bad as leica.
the worst thing is, people will buy this bullshit.
>>
>>2754444
Agreed. Being able to flip the screen around and use a proper shutter and aperture dial would be pretty cool.
I wouldn't buy one personally, but it seems like a good camera.
>>
The only Oly Pen worth buying are the original Pen half frame film cameras.
>76 exposures baby
>smaller than the digital pen
>batteries? Not even once brah
>designed by Yoshihisa Maitani
>>
>>2754448
Olympus E-PL5 or 6 is what you want. Or do what I did and buy a second hand EM5 or 10
>>
>>2754523
yeah i was actually considering the epl6, not hipster enough though... +micro 4/3 it would be cool if it was a aps-c
>>
>>2754407
>Not wanting full manual

Tell me where uncle Ken touched you, anon
>>
>design reference and name from retro slr
>is not an slr
>sensor is smaller than the original
>fancy useless hipster front dial
>evf is smaller than m5 & p5

Why are they so afraid to make cameras for real photographer?
>>
>>2754475
where were you when Yoshihisa is kil? I was elbow deep in fix when lights up, nooo!
>>
utter waste using the front dial for creative picture modes
>>
>>2754592
Do you know what the Pen series is?
>>
>>2754592
>real photographer

10/10 would kek again
>>
>>2754393
What a waste of a front dial

>>2754458
>3 years late to the retro camera party
>3 years late
>late
>implying Orympus Ee-pee-wan didn't start the retro camera trend
>>
>>2754601
If it has the same mad amount of customization as older pens, that dial can probably can be reassigned to something useful
>>
File: Auto no focus shiteta.png (34 KB, 405x149) Image search: [Google]
Auto no focus shiteta.png
34 KB, 405x149
>>2754393
Looks pretty cool, but not much of an upgrade over E-P5, which costs like half as much nowadays.

>The EVF is now built in, cool, but flash is now external
>87% more swively screen
>1080p60 ok, but no one cares about video on lolympus
>FINALLY custom settings on mode dial instead of the retarded "Myset" shit
>Other specs mostly unchanged

>Still no PDAF in 2016 - get your shit together lolympus, you've had the tech for like 2 years
>And pls stop pushing your retarded creative modes on us
>>
Basically a repackaged EM5 II, in a Pen body which, let's face it, is not as sexy as the EM range (which these days is 50% of the justification of buying an Olympus).

It's a shame Olympus has made such significant gains in video recently only for them to leave out a mic jack. For 1080p video, the new Olympus bodies are superb for documentary/on the go video shoots which is only possible by:

>5 Axis image stabilisation (every tog needs to see this in action)
>Size
>>>Microphone input<<<
>>
>>2754448
dude there are tons of Olympus and Panasonic mirrorless cameras for $400 or less. do a fuckin Google search
>>
>>2754458
>late
>Olympus started the retro craze
you wat m8?
I think you're the late one.
>>
>>2754601
>>2754685
there are two front dials, one is standard function and the new dial can undoubtedly be assigned to drive mode, wb, etc.

>>2754785
Olympus phase detection ONLY applies to four thirds lenses. it's not even used for mft lenses on the em1.

>>2754804
sexy is subjective, the authentic look of this camera down to the font used is driving people mad. Olympus video looks good on paper but actually is full of artifacting and moire, with a heinously limited Dr even in the flattest settings. they're not even trying when Panasonic has best in class video worldwide on the same mount.
>>
I think they will release a day one update to allow customization on that front dial, or at least some time after they cannot just waste a dial like that.
>>
>>2754785
>Not mentioning that it's got the GX8 sensor
>>
>>2754804
>It's a shame Olympus has made such significant gains in video recently only for them to leave out a mic jack.

This for Oly EM10 Mark II. I'm hoping to use it for video but then again with no mic jack, I'll go with Panasonic.
>>
>>2754941
>>2754804
you guys know that oly has a hotshoe attachment for mic input, right?
>>
>>2754393
>no 4k
>that price
just get a gx8
>>
>>2754457
eos m + 22mm is better.
>>
i'm trying to decide between a EM10II or 5II myself, as a vacation/snapshitting camera. probably pair it with the P14, O25, and O40-150. is the 5II worth the extra $300 for the extra stop of IS, 1/8000 shutter, weather sealing, and 40MP mode? I prefer the tilting screen of the 10, although being able to close the screen entirely on the 5 is useful enough too. I hear the 10's OLED EVF isn't as nice as the 5's LCD panel too. I've used 5II before for shits and giggles and was pretty impressed with it.

>>2754942
but would it have been so hard to include it in the first place?
>>
>>2754818
>it's not even used for mft lenses on the em1

It's used, but only in AF-C mode. It's obvious if you compare how E-M1 tracks moving subjects against any other lolympus.
>>
>>2754852
So what? It's the same as any other m43 sensor in the last couple years.
>>
I'm looking for another camera to just tote around on social occasions or whatever other than my 6D and lenses which I treat as my workhouse camera. I was thinking about the Pen F but its kinda expensive, anyone else have some recommendations? Pretty inclined to go with a small M43 camera.
>>
>>2755004
Ricoh GR. Small, great sharp lens, 28 mm FOV useful for most social settings.

Even if you set the camera to 35 mm mode, it would still be using as much sensor as a m4/3 camera.
>>
>>2755010
Yeah was thinking about the GR, probs pick a used one up much cheaper now since the release of the GR 2
>>
>>2754993
um no, this one is actually new. the gx8 was the first to move on from the 16mp Sony sensor to a 20mp (Panasonic?) sensor. it's actually quite impressive and seems to do away with the heavy AA trend for a much lighter one, and also has noise and dynamic range comparable to the last gen 16mp APS-C Sony sensors (Nikon, Pentax, Fuji) which is impressive and welcome.
>>
>>2754978
Olympus figured that they could save space and make it available for ALL of their cameras this way. they aren't going to start including it in the bodies unless they're especially video oriented probably.
>>
>>2754976
in what way?
>>
>>2754543

plz to donate...
>>
>>2754804
Honestly the EM is pretty awkward to carry around

Its too small to warrant a camera bag and the evf makes pocketing it impossible, I'd rather just have the epl7
>>
>>2755159
I dunno, by dxo's measurements, GX8 is a minimal improvement over the older 16mp sensors. Heavy AA was already gone on E-M5. And in terms of pure pickle count, 20mp vs 16mp translates to like what, +10% linear resolution?
>>
>>2755010
GR's got a sharp lens and great UI, but it's somewhat dated by now. Ricoh really needs to update it with a better AF system, faster lens and/or IS.
>>
>>2754804
>>2754818
>>2754941
>>2754942
>>2755189

A EM5 Mk II dynamic range video for you - film making on the Pen series shouldn't be made redundant due to lack of a mic jack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdVHeYH0Pjc

Obviously, no one is saying Oly has anything on Panasonic when it comes to video but with IBIS and 77 mb/s video bitrate; the Olympus video series isn't shabby.

Please Olympus, give the Pen a mic jack. Retro hipsters want to make films too!
>>
>>2755358
>inb4 youtube compression/hot chicks
>>
>>2755358
the bitrate on the olympus doesn't compensate for the shitty processing.

the question is, is the GX worth the extra $200? you get video, DFD making AF-C actually usable, most of the Panasonic zooms have OIS, the primes still get 3 axis IS, and the body's a bit slimmer.
>>
>>2755358
is that video supposed to be good or something? looks worse than shit taken from a smartphone
>>
Looks great, nice sensor, cool specs etc.
I have my eye on the xpro2 and plan on selling my x100s and 5Diii to go full fuji for all my paid work and travel needs.
>>
>>2755529
the gx8 also has intense weather sealing and dual IS, which will be supported by all but 3 Panasonic lenses.
>>
>>2754458
>about 3 years late to the retro camera party
I guess they were one of the first but it was Fuji that did it better and made it into their own. I guess its similar to the 'HTC A9 is blatant rip off the Iphone' thing last year
>>
>>2755876
how well does IBIS work for the primes and adapted lenses? the olympus 5 stop IBIS is like magic, and I like the controls on the EM5II.
>>
File: olmpuspenf-ad1.jpg (96 KB, 614x871) Image search: [Google]
olmpuspenf-ad1.jpg
96 KB, 614x871
>>2754475
Damn straight.
And you have to get the 40mm f1.4 lens with fucking radioactive thorium.
>>
>>2756133
What about the 42mm f/1.2 or the 60mm f/1.5?
>>
>>2756133
is the 38mm f1.8 radioactive?
>>
>>2754393
Just got back from an Olympus do and got to briefly play with a pre-production model.

My impression after 5 minutes? No worse than any other hyped new camera body.
>>
>>2755897
the gx8 with a lens like the 42.5mm 1.7 in dual mode is a dream come true. if you want to use an oly lens though, like the cheaper 45 1.8, the in-body alone is not em5ii good.
>>
File: rd1-001.jpg (46 KB, 620x473) Image search: [Google]
rd1-001.jpg
46 KB, 620x473
>>2754685
>implying Orympus Ee-pee-wan didn't start the retro camera trend
No, it didn't, and this isn't a trend either.
>>
>>2758717
R-D1 was literally a Bessa with a digital sensor hacked in, and nobody else (except Leica) made RF-style retro cameras for years.

After EP1, however, half of mirrorless cameras and high-end compacts followed rangefinder-inspired styling, and right after EM5, we've suddenly got a few retro-DSLR-styled cameras as well.
>>
>>2758717
Why doesn't anyone make cameras like this anymore? It can't be difficult to make and it would sell like mad given all the retro hipster shit out right now.
>>
>>2759514

we live in a gaudy as fuck century. all shit is plasticky shiny and round. or a cuckold "retro" piece of shit.
>>
>>2759515
Yeah but a cuckold retro hipster piece of shit with a full frame sensor and a leica M mount would be fantastic, especially if it was just a modified Bessa
>>
>>2760299

bessa =/= cuckold

bessa is work of art. hence current designers wont do anything similar, theyll refuse to do anything with interesting and strong lines. theyll do cuckolded designs aka. small for small estrogen filled girly hands, with vague aesthetics resembling a rangefinder that doesnt exists, all rounded and cute.

or abominations like the Nikon Df.
>>
File: 1731.jpg (146 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1731.jpg
146 KB, 1600x1200
>>2758717
Panasonic made it at the same year.
>>
>>2759514
By "cameras like this" you mean cameras that clumsily cram digital guts into a body made for film, and fail to sell even to hardcore hipsters?

>>2759515
>>2760300
How the fuck is something like X-Pro2 or E-M5 plasticky, round and shiny?

And while Df is an ergonomic clusterfuck, at least it could shoot photos as good as anything else in its price range, unlike R-D1.
>>
>>2759514
I'm still hoping this happens
http://konost.com/
could be awesome if they aren't as insanely overpriced as Leica.

>>2760301
I still want one of those...
>>
Is MFT relevant anymore?
>>
>>2760786
nope
>>
>>2760792
Why is it still made?
>>
>>2760796
Because some people like a compact MILC system without any concern about image quality.
>>
>>2760802
are you trolling me? who'd spend that much 1000+ on a system if they don't care about image quality? might as well just get a point and shoot.
>>
>>2760808
The world is full of idiots, this shouldn't be a surprise to you.
>>
>>2760786

yep.
>>
>>2760818
Why? What niche does it fill?
>>
>>2760823

Uh, pretty much all of them. It's especially adept at stuff like video and street photography.
>>
>>2760825
>implying street photography is relevant
People don't give a shit if you're waving a DSLR in front of them.
>>
>>2760827

okay
>>
>>2760786
m4/3 is especially relevant for video, the gh4 is one of the most capable 4k video cameras on the market, and despite what others think, if size is something of concern, while fuji may have good lenses, their af still lags behind the systems Olympus and Panasonic have. On top of that I've yet to come across a system with a menu as understandable as the Olympus super control panel, painful to figure out how to turn on, but awesome once you get it.

I've used Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and Pentax systems, still like Olympus the best. Besides, if you're shooting for personal enjoyment? Then it's whatever you like, cause even if you have the best camera ever made, if you hate using it, then it's not the best for you.
>>
File: G2eI0YL.jpg (531 KB, 3346x2510) Image search: [Google]
G2eI0YL.jpg
531 KB, 3346x2510
>>2760808
I've spent about £1000 on my Olympus gear. The quality is good enough for me but the form factor was the major reason I bought into the system, since I spend most of my time travelling and don't want to haul a metric shit ton of muh fool frame canikon everywhere. Not everyone needs or wants bokeh in every shot and I've never needed to shoot higher than 3200 iso. I might one day consider an old Sony a7 and a couple of adapted lenses but I'm more than happy with the results I get out of my current system.
(Also muh ibis)
>>
>>2760300
I fucking hate this whole cuckold meme. It's ruined this entire site.

>>2760307
>By "cameras like this" you mean cameras that clumsily cram digital guts into a body made for film, and fail to sell even to hardcore hipsters?
You mean like a Leica?
>>
>>2761452
Leica did a significantly better job of cramming digital guts into a film rangefinder, even on M8 with all of its problems - at least they didn't try to pass the lack of a motorized shutter as a feature. And M 240 does it almost perfectly (if you forget about the price, that is)
>>
>>2761476
>proving my point for me
If Leica can do it, why can't a company that make cameras and lenses rather than fashion accessories do it?
>>
>>2761637
Because companies that make cameras and lenses want to reach a broader audience than hipsters and dentists, duh.

And I don't even understand what your problem is. How is what Fuji/lolympus make so different from what Leica makes? Yes, their retro cameras don't pretend to be carbon copies of old Fujicas or Pens, but they can stand on their own while retaining the positives of film-era design.
>>
>>2761963
>muh full frame
>muh rangefinder
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.