[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to get into macro photography? And
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
What's the best way to get into macro photography?

And is a t2i an ok choice for a body starting out?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 500D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
PhotographerPhotographer
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2011-01-02T20:43:38+01:00
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
Depends what kind of macro...like in pic related?

The body is of little incidence.
>>
>>2740642
Macro depends so much more on the lens than the body. If all you plan to do is macro, focus on finding the right lens first, then get a comparatively cheap body to go with it. I see Canon has a 60mm f/2.8 macro lens that's <$500. Throw it on a cheap crop body -- even cheaper if you can find one lightly used -- and you have a good start.
>>
>>2740642
get a pentax for that sweet sweet 100mm 2.8 macro lens
fucking fanastic
>>
File: IMG_9662_1200.jpg (418 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9662_1200.jpg
418 KB, 1200x800
I'm an absolute noob at this, I bought the 100mm f2.8 last summer and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It was my first lens purchase, and I also use it for portrait.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2598
Image Height1732
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpcm
Vertical Resolution240 dpcm
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2015:10:03 16:54:03
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1200
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2740642
> What's the best way to get into macro photography?
On a low budget? Get an achromat close-up filter lens. +3 or +5 diopter or something. Put it on your kit telezoom or such. Suggested brand for the achromat would be Marumi, can't really go wrong with these.

If you have a bit of money? Get a decent macro lens. I like the Sony 90mm FE and the Canon 100mm "L" macro. You can get other decent options a little cheaper, but why not get something good immediately?
>>
>>2740642
A reversal ring and extension tubes.
Will turn any cheap kit lens into a great lens for normal to extreme macro.

Next a (cheap) macro ring flash makes a huge difference.

So-called "macro" lenses are expensive and only add the convenience of not having to switch between a maco setup and a normal setup which can focus to infinity.
They can't deliver the same level of magnification you can get with a reversal ring and extension tubes.
>>
>>2740724
>A reversal ring and extension tubes.
how would that work for lenses with no aperture ring
>>
>>2740724
> Will turn any cheap kit lens into a great lens for normal to extreme macro.
> So-called "macro" lenses are expensive and only add the convenience of not having to switch between a maco setup and a normal setup which can focus to infinity.
No. It will remain a cheap kit lens. Reversed.

Often even with a little extra sharpness loss, flaring, problems with controlling aperture (on many newer electronic lenses) and other issues.

It's a cheap option and can give you okay shots, but it is not going to be the equal of a good macro lens overall.
>>
>>2740737
press the dof button at the desired f-stop with the lens connected and take the lens off at the same time, the aperature will stay at the given value
>>
>>2740745
Second this.
A reversed prime works better.
Although the dof is still like trying to ensconce a virgin female for the first time.
>>
>>2740703
You can use those on canon?
>>
>>2740711
>If you have a bit of money? Get a decent macro lens. I like the Sony 90mm FE and the Canon 100mm "L" macro. You can get other decent options a little cheaper, but why not get something good immediately?

That was my plan, I saw two that looked good, the ~550 w/o IS and the ~850 with it.

It seemed worth it to get IS.
>>
>>2740776
but where can you find a weather sealed canon body to match your weather sealed macro lens for 600-700 bucks
>>
>>2740778
what if i dont need weather sealing
>>
>>2740779
pentax k-3 ergonomics >>>> canon 7d ergonomics
plus pentax has a dedicated aperture and shutter priority mode thats basically manual with auto ISO
>>
>>2740782
>plus pentax has a dedicated aperture and shutter priority mode thats basically manual with auto ISO

even my ae-1 had shutter and aperture priority why are you talking about av/tv like its bleeding edge computing technology
>>
>>2740791
because as far as i know modern nikon and canon digital SLRs dont and its very handy
>>
File: 1426272835377.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1426272835377.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>2740782
>plus pentax has a dedicated aperture and shutter priority mode thats basically manual with auto ISO
>because as far as i know modern nikon and canon digital SLRs dont and its very handy

pentacksfags ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>2740796
you can set auto iso and use manual mode but you have to go into menus and shit instead of turning your dial
>>
>>2740797
I sincerely hope that this is b8 right now, nobody can be this stupid
>>
>>2740795
my rebel has both modes
?
>>
>>2740804
i dont mean a shuter priority mode and an aperture priority mode. i mean a seperate mode where you set both shutter speed and aperture and the camera automatically sets iso. its like manual but without having to set iso
>>
>>2740806
WHY DON'T YOU JUST USE AUTO ISO WITH MANUAL MODE HOLY SHIT STOP POSTING ALREADY
>>
>>2740806
you can just use manual, dial in your shutter and f number and have the iso set on "auto" on canon dslrs as well its just not a seperate mode

I'm doing it right now
>>
>>2740808
>>2740810
you gotta use menus and shit
ease of use
>>
>>2740816
no you don't

>move dial to manual
>adjust aperture and shutter speed with the front dial
>press ISO button and set it to auto

ta da, you fucking idiot
>>
File: 1447798324283.jpg (41 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
1447798324283.jpg
41 KB, 612x380
>there are people who don't use canon/nikon
>>
>>2740829
Try a 90mm FE, you should understand.
>>
>>2740854
>FE
what
>>
>>2740923
This one. Yes, the whole point is that it is for Sony's E-mount.
>>
>>2740773
>Recommends Pentax
>Asks about compatibility with Canon
>Being this big of a noob that he thinks Pentax cameras use a Canon mount
>>
>>2740799
It's not bait, it's defending ease of use and direct access, which I'm all for on camera dials and cameras in general

>>2740829
>There are people who get asshurt when they hear talks of Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Leica, Mamiya, Samsung, or Fuji
>>
>>2741274
I use Pentax k Mount on my canon all the time for video.
But if it's not a manual lens your fucked.
>>
>>2741275
not asshurt, i just sense either hipsters or poorfaggots
>>
>>2741376
> Those dumb people that either buy the better new shit or really cheap / old shit, not the allegedly average shit like I do! They're wrong!
>>
>>2741462
>not canon/nikon
>good
?
>>
>>2741475
>Being this big of a Nikonfag/Canonfag
>On /p/
>>
>>2741475
Obviously. Why do you even need to ask?
>>
>>2741558
>>2741637
>hey guys look how contrarian i am
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.