[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my folks want to get me something for Christmas, and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Lumix 2.jpg (368 KB, 1584x1223) Image search: [Google]
Lumix 2.jpg
368 KB, 1584x1223
So my folks want to get me something for Christmas, and I'm kind of at a loss for anything I really want, but I just noticed that the Lumix CM1 is down to $450, and it's a concept that has intrigued me for a while. Reviews seem to be pretty decent on it too, including ones from photography sites.

What does /p/ think of it?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>2724436
>What does /p/ think of it?

I think they ought to get you a good pair of reading glasses so you could see that these types of questions are suitable for GEAR THREADS.
>>2723430
>>
>>2724436
How is the support for this thing? How are the updates? I find it a beautiful device and considered it, but found it too expensive. The new price seems a lot more reasonable. However, the lens 'bump' is scary. I think the lens is very unprotected in most non-photographing situations.
>>
>>2724436
Spend the $450 and get a proper camera
>>
>>2724470
I already have several proper cameras, including a full-frame DSLR and a u4/3 camera.

But a dedicated camera isn't practical to carry around all the time. Even a compact camera means carrying a bag or some stupid belt pouch all the time. This thing would replace my phone, so it doesn't take up an "extra slot in my inventory" if that makes sense.

>>2724459
It got updated to Android 5, so that's a start, at least. I'm not due for a normal phone upgrade for another year anyway, so that's not really an issue. It's hard to find much info about support but the few people I've seen that own them seem to be really happy with them.
>>
>>2724436
Don't get more cameras. Get something to take photos of. A plane ticket to somewhere you've wanted to shoot, or lighting equipment. Something that will actually benefit you, not just another thing to not use.
>>
Go for it anon.
This thing looks like a lot of fun and you will use it more often than your dslr or m4/3.
>>
>>2724529
I get the logic here, but honestly I'm not lacking things to take photos of, and my non-camera gear collection is pretty extensive. The kind of budget we're talking about wouldn't buy me anything better than what I have in terms of lighting (I already have 4 speedlights, a pair of monolights, and a huge plastic tub filled with softboxes, brollies, etc.)

I hesitate to call myself a pro photog now, but I used to be one and my current career is about 30% photography, so my existing gear gets plenty of use. However, I am often in situations where I have subject matter and no camera aside from the awful one in my phone, and the CM1 means I'll have a decent camera with me all the time.

A big factor is that my job involves a lot of posting to the company social media, including Instagram, and right now the process for doing that involves shooting with my DSLR, editing and resizing in LR/PS, and then google driving it back to my phone so I can post it. This thing would let me skip most of that process in many cases.

(If anybody's wondering, I do a mix of PR, sales, and logistics/office work for a company that modifies cars for racing, makes performance parts, and runs a racing team. I do about 30% photography, 30% writing, and the rest is everything from advising clients, to researching new shop equipment, to market research, to assisting with design and engineering, making forum and social media posts, maintaining the website and online store, etc.)
>>
>>2724436
I like Lumix products but this thing seems awful.

At best, its a better camera than most phones, but still a much worse phone.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.