[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else have trouble pushing themselves to go out in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: 000061080006.jpg (454 KB, 1000x985) Image search: [Google]
000061080006.jpg
454 KB, 1000x985
Does anyone else have trouble pushing themselves to go out in the world to take photos? I'm such a solitary homebody that sometimes it's difficult to get out and engage.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelEZ Controller
Camera SoftwareShotwell 0.18.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2079
Image Height2048
>>
>Does anyone else have trouble pushing themselves to go out in the world to take photos?

literally everyone on this autistmal dungeon of a board to be honest
>>
>>2722038
I go outside, but mostly just the same places and I feel like everything I take is routine. I need a vacation
>>
>>2722038
>Does anyone else have trouble pushing themselves to go out in the world to take photos?

literally nope.

what i lack is apt vision for getting a driver license, which is a real bummer. no amazing landscapes for me i guess.
>>
>>2722125
It's not impossible that you could find another photographer who wants to travel around. Split the fuel bill and you might find that people are very amicable about the idea.
>>
>>2722038
That's about the only reason I go out these days.
>>
You'll soon reach the point where even being on the computer at home is almost unbearable and then you'll venture out into the world aimlessly

After doing this for a bit you'll realize there's far more out there than you could imagine and you'll start to take photos

After that you'll come back inside and reach some sort of strange equilibrium of being ok with your pointless existence
>>
>>2722413
This is like a beautiful piece of poetry. 10/10 post
>>
>>2722125

wait for robot cars, my man
>>
>>2722038
I don't even shoot anymore unless I have an idea in my head. I can't even remember the last time I went out "shooting." ... seems so archaic..
>>
>>2723217
How do you generate ideas? Most of my ideas only come when I go out and shoot.
>>
>>2722057
this
>>
The reason people fail to get out and take photos? I don't know, but it is unlikely to be social aversion issues. There are literally infinite options for photographic experiences that involve no one but yourself. Even perfect isolation is possible.

I think it related to problems getting ideas and engaging in creative processes.

There's at least two starting points for creative processes that can lead to taking a photo. Photography in the field is light manipulation and capturing light. The rest happens at home. Therefore:

1) You can plan your shot beforehand. Time of day, location, aesthetic vision, storytelling, etc. In this case, you mostly just go outside to get close to what you envisioned beforehand.

2) You can go out and let the shots "happen to you", improvising as you use your eyes DILIGENTLY. There's a ton of theoretical material that can help you prepare for these moments, but ultimately it's always going to be a moment-of-truth situation whether or not you see things when you are actually there and then also manage to capture them right.

DIFFERENT PEOPLE GO ABOUT THINGS DIFFERENTLY, BUT THE POINT IS THESE ARE BOTH CREATIVE PROCESSES. PEOPLE ON /P/ DO NOT ENGAGE IN CREATIVE PROCESSES. THEY MOSTLY JUST ENGAGE IN QUANTITATIVE MEASUREMENTS OF CAMERA GEAR AND ANGRY TROLLING.

And since they never bother to learn about creative processes or which approach fits to them, they don't have a good enough framework for making decisions to actually be self-motivated to go out and take fucking pictures.

That lack of motivation is often coupled with "marketplace thinking", i.e. comparing yourself to ALL DEM GR8S you see farting out photos regularly and getting huge followings online. "I'm not one of those guys" = stay at home and act like a superior, arrogant purist on an irrelevant dust spec of the Internet in stead.
>>
>>2722038
just wear some fucking earphones and go out and do your thing
>>
My problem is that I just don't enjoy the kind of photography you can do out and do as an amateur. I'm an ex photojournalist who mostly did sports, and a lot of what made it rewarding for me was working in those rapidly evolving, high impact situations, having access to things I'd otherwise never get close to, working within the framework of the story and trying to make images that went with it, stuff like that. Going out and aimlessly shooting for myself doesn't really do much for me.
>>
>>2725597
This. Sometimes I don't even take a single photo. That's okay, it was still enjoyable going out for an aimless wander.
>>
>>2722413
shut the fuck up dont face me with reality
>>
>>2723480
This isn't me, but I just want to add:

Never, EVER think to yourself "I'm not one of those guys". You don't have to be shit or do shit other than get out and take photos for your enjoyment.
>>
>>2722413
well fuck me two times sideways and call me a chinese prostitute. that sum real shinto bean right there.
>>
>>2722038
Depends on what you mean by "pushing yourself out in the world"

My problem is not "I can't get out and take photos because of social aversion", it's "what I want to photograph has me constantly questioned by authorities and asked to see I.D. etc."

Where I live you're constantly incriminated for trying to photograph anything, from anywhere. Public parking structure? Highway interchange? Train yard? Any industrial facility? Nope, off limits, or at least a reason to find you "suspicious". Even if you try to photograph from public property.

The other night I was at a public parking garage, which I had paid to park in. Before venturing out onto the streets I went ahead and ventured to a stairwell which was exposed to the outside, to see if I could get anything interesting. While I'm shooting some guy down below was watching me the whole time, and I didn't notice until I started leaving and looked down at him, staring up at me without blinking. At the same time I saw a security guard racing towards me, but I was already on my way out and didn't see the need to stop. I never got "caught".

I can still find loads of things to shoot, but it's still very frustrating.
>>
>>2725714
Exactly.
>>
>>2722413
> you'll realize there's far more out there than you could imagine

What does that mean? Weren't you taking photos before that or something?
>>
Not really motivated in my own city, but I travel fairly often
>>
>>2722057
trueth thats why i am here. most people here aren't even good at photography.. looking for a better place to lurk.. suggestions?
>>
>>2725736

Where?
>>
>>2725822
Outside, with your camera in your hand. Good photographers don't spend their time arguing about lenses on message boards.

Forums are about theoretical photography. It's like D&D. You pick your gear, and you plan in your head for what it would be like if you actually needed to use it. Then you get together with like minded people and pretend together.
>>
>>2725856
Hahahaha holy fuck so true 10/10
>>
>>2725822
>looking for a better place to lurk

lurk moar then. most forums are circlejerk bullshit. real life is cancer lots of times ie. photo clubs. good photogs with actual value are very scarce. buy books and learn. network when you have somethiing in your hands, otherwise youll get stuck in cuck photo clubs and be a noob forever.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.