[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys mark your batteries for your speedlights?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 81cHzo9y4cL._SY355_.jpg (25 KB, 308x355) Image search: [Google]
81cHzo9y4cL._SY355_.jpg
25 KB, 308x355
As far as I know it is better to always use and recharge the same group of batteries together.

I tried using permanent markers, but they come off and are also not easy to see if the battery is black.

I tried to use tape, but it was too thick, and thus the battery would not fit the speedlight.

Any advice?
>>
>>2720921
If you're putting this much energy into which batteries you're using, you're doing it wrong... Pick up a single job per four years and you'll be able to pay to replace any batteries you accidentally wear out.
>>
>>2720925
What if one battery explodes by mixing a charged one with a discharged?
>>
>>2720921
I know eneloops come in different colors for specifically this reason.
>>
>>2720930
Any resource to suggest this actually happens? Also, when you say "explodes"...
>>
>>2720930
>>2720966
Can confirm. Battery will not explode but has potential to break and spew acid. Pro-tip don't do this regardless of damaging the battery, it can harm your camera
>>
>>2720966
>>2720974
Most chargers don't have a feature called load-balancing.

The most simplistic way I can think to explain it is this:
cheap chargers (less than $100 USD) only look at the overall voltage of all of the batteries put in them instead of the voltage of the individual batteries. If you have one that has a decently lower level of charge than the others, the group voltage will read such that the entire group of batteries still needs to be charged even though all but that one are at maximum capacity. The resulting electrochemical reactions cause at best heating, at worse, swelling or explosion.

When using batteries of different charges, instead of over-volting them like a charger does, you end up rapidly discharging the batteries because of the voltage difference (depending on the circuitry, it often occurs in a way that can be described as the more charged batteries trying to charge the less charged batteries). Stuff like internal resistance is involved, but the long and short is this too can cause batteries to heat, swell, and/or pop.

Basically, always discharge/charge batteries together and you should be fine.
>>
Dont have one
>>
Nail polish. Different colours.
I put a blob on the + end so I can feel as well as see their orientation after i put them in the flash.
Probably better to put a ring around the entire battery, but in some cases that might be a little thick.
It can take a long time to dry, particualrly if the batteries plastic skin reacts to the acetone, so allow plenty of dry time.
>>
>>2720921
Label maker
>>
>>2720921
I got a bunch of battery cases that hold 4 each.
I have a piece of paper in each pack with "CHARGED" on one side and "FLAT" on the other then flip it over so the truth side is visible.
>>
File: 41dUgXlhwRL.jpg (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41dUgXlhwRL.jpg
31 KB, 500x500
>>2721814
£1.36 for 5
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.