[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I get a 35mm DX 1.8G prime lens or stick with the kit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: d3300_01_01.png (411 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
d3300_01_01.png
411 KB, 800x600
Should I get a 35mm DX 1.8G prime lens or stick with the kit lens for my first camera (Nikon D3300) ?
>>
>>2718624
gear thread you cunt
>>
Listen to me bro. I have a d3100 and i have bought recently the 35mm dx 1.8. I quit to use the 18-55mm. The quality and the sharpness of the 35mm lens is beautifull.
>>
>>2718624
You should stick with the 18-55 for your first step in photography.
The 35mm should be useful later when you will know what you can and can't do with it.
>>
>>2718624
if it won't cause any money problems for you, get it. I bet switching from kit lens to proper prime will be important, interesting and definitely pleasant experience, not to mention all those perks of having bright lens.
>>
>>2718624
Now, if you're planning to get a 35, get educated on it and make sure you have the money for it. As >>2718825 said, the 35mm will be useful (later) when you will know what you can and can't do with it. It's a great lens.

The only reason I would tell you not to get it is that if you wanted it just to try out. Make sure you actually have use for it, try taking a few 35mm shots on your kit lens.

I used my mates for at a road trip, loved the photo quality and performance of the lens. And so I'm looking at the same one to buy. I plan to do some street stuff and have it as my primary lens on my trips.

And yea, have fun
>>
>>2718919
Are you really concerned that OP doesn't have $200
>>
>>2720722
Who knows. Maybe he's kiwi like me and it costs $350 and he's jobless. And likes weed. And drinks.
>>
I disagree with you guys. Starting with a normal prime instead of a kit zoom has many advantages. For one, it removes focal length from the decision making process behind a composition. Even now, with a lot more experience than when I started I find zooms annoy the hell out of me because I end up taking a shot at 24, 35, and 50 because while the 50 might have been what I originally wanted, the others had merit. Another advantage is that the nikon kit lens is shit compared to that prime in terms of sharpness and rendering. It has a faster aperture than the kit lens >inb4 bokeh so shooting with available light (another good thing to do when starting out) is easier.
>>
>>2723529
>because I can't into decisiveness no one can
>it's never to early to be a gearfag
No modern lens made by a decent company is "shit".
>>
>>2723531
i said comparatively shit.

as for decisiveness, you got me there.
>>
>>2723529
>Starting with a normal prime instead of a kit zoom has many advantages.
agreed, also agreed with your reasoning

the ability to perceive a scene is strongly linked to your ability to perceive a focal length and its visual implications; for a scene has to be composed in a photograph, and there's a whole lot more than getting closer or farther, than distortion or flattening. it's a inner experience to understand visually what you see, an technique to be developed, and I believe that in the beginnings some constraints may help you not to develop bad habits.
>>
Lens sharpness is completely overrated, especially if you are a beginner. You will be making many mistakes that prevent you from reaching the maximum sharpness of your lens, anyway.

One is not having a steady enough hand. Even the SLIGHTEST movement will fuck things up on a D3300.

Another is choosing the right shutter speed for your subject. "Muh lens sharpnes" doesn't matter when you fail to freeze motion of your subject to the degree that you want for your photo.

A third is choosing a too high signal gain (ISO). You should only use as much ISO as you actually need, and a steady hand will help you reach the same sharpness and exposure with a lower ISO and lower shutter speed.

I could even argue that the 18-55mm kit lens is BETTER for the exercise of a steady hand, or a lens at 200mm focal length.

So why do you even need that nice $200 prime? You need it for shooting in shitty light without a flash. That's all you need it for. Maybe also getting lots of bokeh in your shots, but that's fucking overplayed by now and is NOT what makes a photo professional damn it. You might also need it for nice and sharp photos, but only if the above conditions are already met. Which they are NOT for beginners.

Finally, yes, that lens can be good for composition practice because you're forced not to zoom. But is that really a valid argument? Why not just NOT ZOOM on your other lenses and save yourself $200.

So there, a bit of pros and cons and some practical considerations.
>>
>>2725838
This guy knows his shit
>>
>>2723529
This is like saying that you should start with a point and shoot or your cell phone, because it removes the options of having to think about shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.