[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HISTORICAL CAMPING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: PICT0483_edited.jpg (156 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
PICT0483_edited.jpg
156 KB, 800x600
Does anyone on /out/ do historical camping?
Me and a friend are trying to get into with using the kit of an american woodsman / longhunter from around 1760-1800. Was wondering if out could give any tips, especially as we'll be using basic kit by todays standards.
>>
Any tips on woolen blanket sleeping would be great.
>>
>>813846
Please post the date and location of your next /out/ing so I can be sure I'm on the opposite side of the planet from you.
>>
>>813846
Sounds pretty cool. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but it's fun to try shit out. why don't you test these things out yourself and report. Some OC pics would be nice.

What do you do for a tent/tarp?
>>
>>813856
Two woolen blankets and a tarpaulin sheet is what we're using for bedding. The sheet can be used as a ground sheet or rigged up into a shelter half.
>>
>>813846
I'm not into LARPing myself, but mule stringers often do the sort of cosplay you are asking about
>>
>>813858
>LARPING
>Cosplay
Stop trying to trigger me
>>
>>813864
Facts trouble many.
>>
>>813877
LARPers play a character, i'm not doing that.
Cosplayers just wear outfits.
I'd say this is more re-enactment / living history.
>>
>>813846
No because I don't have the 'tism
>>
>>813885
Neither do i, i just want a challenge while being /out/
Plus it's an interesting period of history, enough people struggle when camping now days so it's interesting to see how we would have fared back then.
>>
A friend of mine does medieval reenactment and as part of it they do camps like this in woodland here in England for tourists to look at. They tend to only use medieval shit when there's a tour coming through though and as soon as they're gone they're cooking spam on a gas stove.
>>
>>813893
Yeah that sucks, i know a lot of hardcore re-enactors though who keep "in period" for the entirety of the event, whether the public are there or not,
>>
>>813886
>Plus it's an interesting period of history
Yeah? Know what else made it interesting in the old days? Small pox. Hope you aren't inoculated for that, wouldn't want to take away from your experience.
>>
>>813847
>>813857
Wool blankets are really hard to do. Basically, the wool blankets they had back in the day were much thicker (talking at least double or triple the weight/thickness of your average surplus blanket).They were super used to using those things and even then would freeze their asses off. I'm not saying it's impossible, but sleeping bags were a massive improvement in going /out/.

It's not impossible, I've done a few overnights with a wool blanket in nights that get down to 40F but it gets shitty pretty quickly.

Check out Kenneth Kramm on youtube.
Read How to Camp Out by John Gould (civil war vet). Or check out Jas Townsend on youtube.
>>
>>813846
http://www.5280.com/digital/2016/07/local-hikers-journey-past
these guys seem to be doing something similar to what you want to do.
>>
>>813881
Of course you aren't playing a character.

You put on your wax canvas backpack and your felt derby and your wool blanket, light your pipe, and go innawoods. I bet you don't even for one second imagine yourself as an actual longhunter from the 1800s.

Sure you don't.
>>
>>813881
pretending to a person in another time period is LARPing
dressing up like a person in another time period is cosplay

re-enactment is doing both at the same time
>>
>>813857
You should be watching Dave Canterbury's shit. Wilderness Outfitters on YT.
>>
Thanks to the anons not being cunts.

>>814046
Nah

>>814091
>>813976
Will do anons, thanks for the tips
>>
File: 1436062502399.jpg (1 MB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
1436062502399.jpg
1 MB, 1536x1024
I don't go full medieval, but I go out with a lot of medieval gear. I want to go full /AngloSaxon/, but it's 40% anglo saxon and 60% normal gear.
>>
>>814116
Sweet gear man, did you made some stuff yourself or did you buy everything?
>>
>>814119
That's not his gear. It's from a series of photographs of re-enactors gear showcasing the equipment of an english soldier over the past 1000 years
>>
>>813847
Don't get them from the white man.
>>
File: 1448046170573.jpg (220 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1448046170573.jpg
220 KB, 500x750
>>814119
Yeah that's not my image, just quite related. I bought most of my gear, some belts and leather gear and shoes are homemade.
>>
>>814115
>Nah
what a well reasoned and erudite rebuttal
>>
File: confederate-prisoners.jpg (182 KB, 1000x922) Image search: [Google]
confederate-prisoners.jpg
182 KB, 1000x922
>>813846
I like this kind of shit- not exactly the period correct, attention to detail reenacting shit, but the back to basics methods and tools. I've read a few books on the subject, browsed a few forums and articles, and tried a few methods myself. I was the guy who posted on this thread earlier about my experience sleeping with wool blankets. This topic is really interesting to me, and I'd really like to see more discussion on it. I understand this is 4chins but, the bullshittery and name calling has plenty of threads for fodder in /out/ alone. Who the fuck cares what LARPING is.
>>
>>814128
>Implying that the white man hasn't dealt with snow before meeting the Injun Muricans
>>
>>814277
nah son. Us whiteys gave the indians blankets laced with small pox. They were already at a disadvantage because we had developed resistance to the disease through generations of dying from it over in densely packed Europa, meanwhile it was open season on this fresh population of humans who had no immunity whatsoever. But we extra fucked them by giving them blankets riddled with that shit. Kinda like spiking a diabetic's drink with sugar.
>>
File: 1462417795379.jpg (28 KB, 500x581) Image search: [Google]
1462417795379.jpg
28 KB, 500x581
>>814277
The joke
-------------
You're head

>>814285
Correct and thorough answer is correct and thorough.
>>
>>814043
The war on fun is real
>>
>>814313
*your
Fuck

I actually think that it's neat replicating historical activities.
>>
>>814313
So you gave Indians smallpox blankets?
>>
>>814285
That's an urban legend that never actually happened.
>>
>>814376
Yeah, no reason to kill them with blankets when you are doing just fine with bullets
>>
>>814376
Didn't you learn in school that Columbus killed 6,000 Indians? If not you are over 23 and thus should go back for more learning about the 6 million Indians he turned into lampshades
>>
>>814389
it's easier to kill them by not giving them blankets. You just wait until winter
>>
>>814043
>I bet you don't even for one second imagine yourself as an actual longhunter from the 1800s.

Long hunters used pack horses to carry their gear. they weren't backpackers.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.