[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Surfers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (892 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
892 KB, 750x1334
Why do people in SoCal surf with wetsuits? I don't get it. I've never surfed before and I want to get gear but why the wetsuit? The water isn't that cold to me. Originally from Massachusetts.
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>813707
>I've never surfed before
>Originally from Massachusetts

Please tell me this is some bait.
>>
>>813707
I'm from Miami. Been to the beaches on the west coast. ITS FUCKING COLD. IT"S COLD AS FUCK. IT"S FREEZING FUCKING COLD.
>>
>>813720
Not bait anon, although I have gone fishing. I've paddled a few times but I don't get why anyone would need a wet suit. Mass water is cold as a witches titty compared to so cal water. If that the only reason that surfers wear wetsuits here then they're a bunch of pussies.
>>
>>813730

>pussies
>socal

Yerp
>>
>>813730
July Mean Water Temperatures (Fahrenheit) as reported by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration -

Santa Barbara CA : 63
Los Angeles CA : 65
Boston MA : 66
>>
>>813707
There is a big difference between temporarily splashing around at the shore and sitting in the ocean for hours
>>
>>813724
This. I splashed around chest deep at a beach at South Hampton for a good hour in trunks and felt comfy. I can get my ankles in the water at Santa Cruz for about 5 minutes before everything goes numb. West coast water doesn't get pleasant until you reach San Diego and further south.
>>
>>813769
I'm in Oceanside. I don't need a wetsuit if I'm gonna be out for an hour or two. I could see all day. I'm still learning and don't have a ton of cash to buy stuff. I'm buying a used board for $100.
>>
I have a wetsuit question, figuring I'll ask you guys: I'm looking to buy one for freediving and stuff, but I live up in the Arctic, getting water temperatures around 3-4°C, somewhat higher in summer. Place I'm looking to buy from has 7mm and 9mm suits, and while a 9mm suit sounds like it'd be best, I've had no complaints about the 7mm hood or gloves I've used with my drysuit.
Anyone here have any experience with this?
>>
>>813808
how do u freedive in a drysuit? how do u add air?
>>
>>813816
I should clarify, I don't freedive in the drysuit, I use that for scuba diving. I do, however, use a 7mm hood and ditto gloves with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 216x216) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 216x216
>>
you dont need a wet or dry suit. im 20 and have been surfing off the coast of NJ since i was 11 or so. 60 degrees sucks but nutt up buttercup. get a cheap craigslist board, its easier to learn on a long board imho, and for the LOVE OF GOD go swim laps at the pool. 99% of quitters do it because they cant swim for shit. you have to have more patience than fishing also. hope this helps.
>>
>>813910
>coast of NJ
ahahaha holy shit. Enjoy your dead body, junkie needle infested surfing you fucking guido.
>>
>>813707
I grew up in socal, and we never used wetsuits when I was a kid. Maybe everyone is a giant pussy now.
>>
>>813927

Admittedly, Jersey is pretty shit. Especially if you live near northern NJ. A small portion of the state is actually pretty okay. I used to live on Long Beach Island and it was quite nice. The pine barrens are also pretty chill, I used to pass them coming from Pennsylvania to Jersey. But yeah, most of the state is shit. Atlantic city is especially horrible.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 400x290) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 400x290
>>813707
Dude, the water is coming down from Alaska.
>what is elementary physical science.
>>
Surfing without a wetsuit in the UK gives you nipple rash if you cant stand up!
>>
>>813972
First of all your picture shows North Pacific currents as separate from the Central and South Pacific currents. So right off the bat you're not helping your case. Second of all, that water gets warmer as it moves south, just like it gets colder as it moves north. That's what allows it to move in a cycle.
>>
>>813769
Even san diego was cold ehen I was there. I'm from galveston. Our waves suck but our water only gets in the 60s in february.

I didn't bring my board when I visited cali but I did swim. San diego was chilly. Everything north of that point above la was down right cold. If I surfed cali I would atleast buy booties for quick sessions and probably wear a half suit for anything over 30 minutes. Yea waiting for sets you might be ok just sunbathing on your board but paddling back out that water is fucking cold.
>>
>>813730
In that case, like the guy a few down said. If you're actually surfing you're out there for a few hours and you don't want to make your body waste energy keeping you warm when it should be using it doing the very physically demanding sport you are doing. Plus most real surfers are out there 3-5 days a week when things are good and a few hundred bucks is worth being comfy if you're out there that much.
>>
>>813707
>>813730

So, this post was just to tell everyone that you are used to massachusetts and YOU ARE ALL THAT IS MAN BECAUSE YOU DONT NEED A DAMN WETSUIT!

Why phrase it as a question? Seriously, you already knew what you wanted to say on the matter.

Sitting in the surf line up gets a little cold, also we are able to surf in the winter time here and wetsuits are awesome for that.
>>
>>813762
No nothing OP on suicide watch.

Fuck everything about going out, especially in the morning, without a wetsuit here.
>>
>>813707
So you don't toast your skin with cancer is a good reason to wear one.
Source: I'm a waterskier/wake boarder/knee boarder from Mass that as never worn a wet suit and am just waiting for the day the doc says the C word...
Know way too many that have got it and I was young and stupid once upon a time.
>>
>>813707
Tbqhfamalam I'm from MA, too, live in Boston, and surf in Maine.

Pacific ocean is cold as fuck. Good waves, though!
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.