[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
General Optics thread... Everytime there is a binocular/telescope/spotting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 5
File: Optics.jpg (116 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Optics.jpg
116 KB, 800x800
General Optics thread...

Everytime there is a binocular/telescope/spotting scope/monocular thread there is only 10 posts before the thread dies because the thread is too specific. I like optics and would like to see a thread that lasts a bit longer. After all, a big part of going /out/ is observing and optics only make this better.
>>
File: vortexraptor.jpg (13 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
vortexraptor.jpg
13 KB, 355x355
>>812624
I use a Vortex Raptor 8.5x32 which i think is very good all-rounder. I use it for stargazing, watching birds and other wildlife, checking land marks, and finding routes above treeline. I'ts not too heavy although a bit bulky but for the price i don't think it was a good buy. I don't have much to compare it with because before that i used a very cheap 10x50.
>>
File: bino.png (77 KB, 186x230) Image search: [Google]
bino.png
77 KB, 186x230
>>812627
Once i looked through this binocular and compared it with my vortex and the view was a bit better. I was on holidays and didn't write the brand name down thinking i would remember or find it on google but after searching for an hour i gave up. I think it was a 8X30. Anyone recognize this model or brand?
>>
File: IMG_20151003_134918.jpg (827 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151003_134918.jpg
827 KB, 2048x1536
Celestron 15x70mm.

Took some recollumating, but decent for low tier.
>>
File: Idea.png (7 KB, 324x305) Image search: [Google]
Idea.png
7 KB, 324x305
I am looking to build a lightweight packable fixed low magnification refractor for stargazing. I have a meade etx 80 objective and a 2" 30 mm multicoated 68° Ts Optics eyepiece i wanna use. I attached a sketch of how i want to build it. It will have a maginification of 13,3 and exit pupil of 6 mm, forgiving enough to handhold, i hope. I'll have to buy guide scope rings which hold the objective and the eyepiece (i will screw out the 2" tube and just let the 3 pins clam on the hull of the eyepiece to save weight/bulk and have better balance), i'll have to buy an aluminium bar or T-bar or U-bar and drill 4 holes to screw in the guidescope rings with butterfly screws for quick assembly. Over this bar i will shove bicycle handles to hold the device. I will add a conical black fabric sleeve for better optical performance.

These are the guide scope rings i want to buy:
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8466_TS-Optics-Guide-Scope-Rings-for-telescopes-from-D--34-mm-to-85-mm.html

If i disassemble i'll only have a 400mm bar, two guide rings, a flat objective and an eyepiece without the fitting tube. i think it will all weigh around 1 kg, depending on weight of the guide scope rings...

Is this a good idea or will i have trouble aligning the thing or holding the objective and eyepiece in place with each just having one guide ring?

Feel free to comment or give improvements or alternatives
>>
>>812627
I actually meant that for the price i think it was a good buy
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.