[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
South East Queensland Wildlife
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Time for a bit of a story, I was bushwalking with a friend near the Glasshouse Mountains. We are both pretty inexperienced, so we stuck to the tracks and whatnot. I'm in front, chatting and walking, having a lovely time when i see a snake about a foot in front of me. Having grown up in Brisbane, I immediately knew it was an Eastern Brown.
>shitfuckshitniggabackthefuckup
i backed up slowly and it slithered off the track. Still scared the shit out of me. it looked like it was about 2 feet long and a darkish brown colour. I am pretty sure it was an Eastern Brown but are there any lookalike snakes that It may have been, and how do you avoid snakes while /out/? not my photo, but the snake looked identical.
>>
>>812588
Do you live in the area? I'm in Mapleton.

I'd probably do the same as you desu. Snakes just aren't worth fucking with.
>>
File: 1451419116430.png (10 KB, 439x474) Image search: [Google]
1451419116430.png
10 KB, 439x474
Fucking weird, i was at the glasshouse mountains too today

Hiked up Mt Ngungun, was great

> that thick as fuck fog though
>>
>>812588
Im Brisbane boy and have a lot of experience with local wildlife through my adventures in the bush.

Firstly yeah it was likely a brown snake but could have been a coastal taipan which look kinda similar but with a more pronounced brow. One good one to identify browns because their colour varies is to see if they have orange splotches on their belly (obviously this isnt often easily accessible unless you catch it first)

To be honest as a lover and owner of reptiles i feel like people really dont get snakes and get caught up in unreasonable fear. Whilst they are poisonous and browns are known to stay and fight on occasion instead of fleeing they really arnt a threat unless you do actually make contact with them ie stepping on them.

For example, last christmas holidays i was sitting in a little sand bend in a creek enjoying the peace when i started hearing rustling coming from around the bend of the creek. Sure enough a two meter brown comes round the bank. Im sitting cross legged and just thrilled to see it (currently with the impression it would just slide past at a 3 meter distance) but it ends up leaving the bank and goes onto the sand straight towards me. When it was half a meter away i decide i dont want to risk it getting closer and then suddenly realizing im alive and it panicking so i stood up. It just looked up at me and did a u-turn back up into the bank.

Snakes really arnt bad creatures, just dont tread on them and you will be fine. However just stopping loudly will scare them with the vibrations you create as that is one of their main ways of sensing threats.
>>
>>812635
*stomping
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 437x437
>>812633
You see any wild Abbos?

>>812635
>pls no step on snek
>>
>>812625
I live in Brisbane so not really, but I've encountered snakes before
>>812635
I've had a look at some photos and it was definitely and Eastern Brown, and I think that I took the snake by surprise, but I'm not sure. It didn't move at first, and only slithered away slowly. Is this to be expected of a surprised snake, or would it have tried to fight if surprised?
>>
>>812588
Go to /an/ and quit being a shitcunt, snakes dont wake up thinkin "im gonna go fuck with a human today", theyre not wasps. You were never in immediate danger.
>>
>>812920
unless i had stepped on it, which I almost did, also I feel like this topic is still /out/ related.
>>
Another seq fag here. Sneks are bros, and as mentioned above, 99% of them will fuck off as soon as they know you're nearby. It's actually annoying sometimes as I want to photograph them.
>>
I see brown and red-bellies all the time. Just be cool and watch where you step or put your hands, which you should do anyway. Don't go tramping blindly through long grass if you can avoid it, and know that snakes like to hide under logs and ledges.

When stepping over logs, step onto the log, not over so you don't accidentally kick a snake or step on it blindly on the other side.

Snakes are cool man especially red-belly black snakes, really beautiful animals. Ants on the other hand are the fuckface faggot cunts avoid like the plague and run away if you see them.
>>
In other news, why are we so shit at naming dangerous animals? Red bellied black snake, Brown snake, tiger snake, white tail, red back etc.
"Fuck me mate, this snake is dangerous and scary as shit. What should we call it?"
"I dunno mate, what colour is it?"
>>
>>813176
>>813179
I quite like snakes as well. I just want to make sure that neither me nor the snake get harmed. y'know?
>>
>>813189
So we can identify it?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.