[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shelter Half
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 591x591) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 591x591
Somebody gave me a Vietnam era US Army shelter half. It seems like nothing more than a piece of heavy cotton.

Aren't these things supposed to be waterproof?

I'd like to use it for overnights and such but it rains a lot in my area.

Thanks
>>
If it was treated with waterproofing then it would be suitable, although quite heavy.
>>
It is waxed cotton otherwise known as waxed canvas. It's fire retardant so you can have a fire decently close, but still use your brain /b/ro
>>
>>812097
Its duck canvas. And if it doesnt smell like utter ass any more. It needs to be rewaxed.
>>
>>812181
>>812235
>>812306
Thanks. It doesn't smell and feels like regular fabric so I'll have to re wax it. There are a couple of holes to patch too but that's not a huge problem.
>>
>>812332
if you're hoping to take this hiking, I'd advise against it. It's super heavy for what it is, won't work well without the other half, will take extra effort to set up and has no bug proofing. Cotton duck is such that you don't want to touch the sides if it's raining as water will come through.

Just get a cheap tarp and you'll be happier.
>>
>>812351
This. Your best bet is to sell it to some aging hippie on the Rivendell Bicycle Owners google group for $200. They love this kind of garbage.
>>
>>812351
This. Modern shelter halfs are pvc ponchos. They can be somewhat usefull. But waxed canvas is super heavy and almost worthless in anything wetter than a drizzle.

I made some pretty cool shelters out of ponchos back in the day. But over in the shit I never set one up once. I just slept on a cot if I had one or the ground if I didn't. Under the afghani stars.
>>
>>812306
>>812332

he love the smell of napalm in the morning
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.