[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone on /out/ into trail running? I want to do a half marathon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_3902.jpg (2 MB, 1992x2172) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3902.jpg
2 MB, 1992x2172
Anyone on /out/ into trail running? I want to do a half marathon trail run in January. How many miles are you running currently and what type of gear set up do you have for longer runs?
>>
Used to, taking some time off
Was racing the Xterra tri series and a handful of trail ultras
Gear: shoes, split Vs
Long distance: Montrail Mountain Masochist for bad weather/tough courses, Rogue Racer for good conditions.
Medium distance: Salomon S Lab Sense
For 15 mi+ training runs I carried a 24 oz bottle with gels taped to it or stashed a bottle on a previous shorter run to grab later

Please don't have poles, hydration vests, or any of that garbage if you are racing for less than 100 miles
>>
>>810677
I'm currently running in Salmon Scream 3d's. I was thinking of getting a handheld water bottle kit with a pouch for gu or a fanny. I'm running a 4.5 mile rout 5 times a week right now, but I want to start upping my mileage while avoiding injury.
>>
8-10 miles takes me roughly 45 minutes to an hour in the forests a county over from me

I just drink water and maybe a preworkout and I eat afterwards, if I run over 10 miles I'd bring some poptarts or protein bars along with extra water and some caffeine tabs.

To train for a half marathon trail run you definately need to do some high intensity sprints up the hardest hills you can find, and jog for about 6 miles through the woods every other day. A month before the race turn up the heat and run your hardest for 8 miles and then add 2 miles every other day until you are doing 14. Do 14 every other day until a week before race day, that week drop your running to 3 miles every other day until you race.
>>
File: salmon_scream.jpg (207 KB, 1749x1080) Image search: [Google]
salmon_scream.jpg
207 KB, 1749x1080
>>810693
>Salmon Scream
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just hold a normal cycling style bottle, you have opposable thumbs, they are great for holding bottles. For trail running I have a cheap Chinese ipod armband, I put my iPod in it and wrap it around the bottle, that way it has a textured grip and I don't have to put my iPod on my body.
>>
Furthest I've done is a half-marathon, I wanted to do a full marathon and got up to 18 miles but then fucked up my femur and haven't done much running since.
All you really need is a pair of cheap light running shoes and a water bottle or camelbak unless they have water on the trail. Paying hundreds for tacticool running equipment is retarded and won't save you from lack of preparation.
>>
>>810677
Seconding Montrails
I've got a pair nearly 5 years strong of heavy use.
>>
I really like to do shorter distances (7.5 mile) in minimalist shoes. I tend to use 5 fingers or go barefoot, have been thinking about a pair of xero sandals. For me, it makes me feel stronger overall and less injury prone (could just be psychosomatic).

For longer distances (16-18 miles) I wear whatever Salomons I have at the time (was 3-D ultra pros for a while, so heavy..) Definitely would like to up my mileage though, just hard to find time. That said, while carrying water is nice and has it's benefits, some people I've talked to like to stash water. Not entirely feasible everywhere obviously.

Question: Does anyone run with a water filter and drink from streams? I have a sawyer mini I've been thinking about bringing along one of these days.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1 MB, 1195x670) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
1 MB, 1195x670
>Pic related
>>810664
Yes.One run of 25-45km on the weekend. Training for a 175km later in the year. Street running during the week. I use a Nathan Vest with 1.5L of electrolytes in a bladder and 2x500ml flasks of water

>>811012
>Question: Does anyone run with a water filter and drink from streams?
No. Water is unreliable near me. In any case, I'd rather sip from a bladder without stopping.

Love exploring new areas. Using maps and aerial imagery to find new routes.
>>
I run collegiately in a very /out/ town. I trail run on the daily. Don't usually bring anything with me unless I'm going farther than 20 miles, then I'll bring a little packet of almond butter in my pocket. My favorite shoes are the Newton mv3, unfortunately they were discontinued so I'm running in some adidas bostons until I can get new newton flats.

I usually keep a nice easy 8 min mile pace for runs (aside from races, tempo runs, and interval workouts).

>>810699
sorry but I highly doubt those numbers unless you are a pro runner. Your're saying your regular runs are faster than 6 minute miles? Bullshit.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.