[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trekking poles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 112158_first_strike_ext.jpg (14 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
112158_first_strike_ext.jpg
14 KB, 550x550
Can anyone recommend some good ones for a thru hike? Good but won't break the bank preferably around $25-50
>>
Find what length (in centimeters) it is up to your fists when the inside of your elbow makes a 90 degree angle, then buy used ski poles in your area to get the most reliable and cheapest, if you were just day hiking I'd recommend cheap telescopic poles but I get the feel that they'd break and stop holding a length after 200 miles.
>>
Make your own poles out of aluminum bar stock. Way cheaper and will not collapse and break on you. Added bonus can be used as a weapon.
>>
Nigga just find a nice stick
Whittle the handle into a comfortable shape when you sit down to rest
>>
Get a used ski pole
>>
Buy the cheapest leki brand poles you can find, and you're good
>>
>>808252

No

Buy expensive ones on sale.

It's 100% worth it.

Dont buy poles that screw/unscrew to extend, those usually fail with time.
>>
>>808408

I definitely agree with this guy, dont buy poles that extend and fold. I was on a hike through the rockies and one of my poles broke on the extension/fold point. Shit sucked.
>>
I don't have a LOT of experience with pols but here is what I have:
I bought the cheapest polls that I could find.
Less than 8$ a stock on sale.

Lasted me about 500km so far and are doing great. Mechanism is still working 100%.

One of the poll got stuck in the snow while I was show ski descending a 70 degree slope and got bent, but it would have happened to any pol with the amount of pressure I was putting on it (most of my weight...).

They are much heavier than the expensive pols other people were carrying, but I don't mind that.
After the pol got bent I just straightened it with force and kept using it for another 150-200km.
It's fine as it is, but it won't fold back. So I'm buying a cheap ass new one to replace it.

I really can't see the merit in expensive pols if you're going for a hike shorter than 500km, probably 1k km.
I'll see how long my unbent pol lasts.
>>
>>808303
There are a lot of areas where you're not suppose to transport or possess any part of a tree. Also, aluminum is lighter and stronger than wood.
>>
>>808252
PaceMaker expeditions
Strong locks
Cork grips
Pretty lightweight
Around $50
>>
Costco has a set of Carbon fiber poles with flip locks for $40 I think. I used them on 200+ miles of rough sierra terrain so for this summer and not a single problem
>>
>>808423
You guys are fat fucks who bought Walmart poles. Of course they will break if you misuse them
>>
>>808387
This! Any Leki poles you can grab for your money.

Buy cheap stuff only, if you want to try whether poles are your thing.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.