[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I'm new here and idk if this has been asked before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (341 KB, 1872x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
341 KB, 1872x1280
Hey guys, I'm new here and idk if this has been asked before but how do you reconcile your outdoor activities with your university/work?
I'd love to do more outdoors stuff but I'm a full time student in a big city that I'm stuck in for most of the time.
>>
>>807066
Vacation time and sick days.

Also putting off real world priorities. I need to do laundry today, but I really want to go fishing so I will probably be wearing boxers with holes in them all week.
>>
>>807066
I did the easy thing and picked Forestry to study.
>>
>>807066
There is no magic way to enjoy the outdoors a lot and run the ordinary adult life.
With some exceptions, like working/living in a place with lots of /out/ destination a few hours drive away, it's just not possible.

So vacation times carefully planned ahead and... setting priorities.

I've probably sacrificed some promotion and pay raises because I skipped work socializing nights so I have a longer weekend out doors, or to go climbing etc.
I risked getting rejected when looking for a new job because I had a month long vacation planned for the summer and brought this up as a precondition in the interviews (going into vacation 2 months from the time I started a new job).

Yes, it takes sacrifices. It's about priorities.
I want to move to find work and move to Colorado or somewhere in the states where I would be able to drive to 3k-4k mountains (I'm not from the US).
This is going to end the progress I've been making in my current job in terms of knowledge, respect gained and human relations. But fuck it.
>>
photo is yours OP?
>>
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 640x1136
>>807231
>>
>>807231
It's Birmingham, where I'm studying
>>
File: IMG_20160703_180905836-L.jpg (48 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160703_180905836-L.jpg
48 KB, 800x451
>>807068
>Vacation time and sick days.
>Also putting off real world priorities.
This.

Uni wasn't a problem for me at U of Wyoming... half an hour west I was in the mountains at 10k+ ft, 20 minutes east I was in the plains... plenty of ranches north and south of campus.

I take the majority of my days off from work in the winter... typically a week every month through snow season with 3- and 4-day weekends the other weeks. I was at the office for 9 days all of January this year (one of those days was a snow-day and I was the only one there because I had shit to do).

Make time to get out. Set aside a couple hours or a day and commit to it. Kind of goes without saying, but it's something you have to want to do.
If I said "i'm going to go hiking tomorrow", it's not going to happen, because hiking's about as enjoyable to me as paying bills. When it's "moto's fueled, pack's loaded up, gear's in a pile on the floor, and i'm going to go put some miles on the dirt bike", I will make that happen even if I have laundry and housework to address.

This weekend i've been stuck /in/ a 24x24" hallway closet ... installed an outlet and wired it in last night, got the saw and measuring tape out to cut the rest of the plywood to size, screwed those panels to the walls (and broke 4 drill bits in the process) and threw a fresh coat of paint in there. Now that the paint's drying, i'll be in the garage finishing some work on the moto.
1000ft of Cat5e, 500ft of RG6, pile of keystone connectors, wallplates, old-work boxes, patch panels, 6U rack all going in this house; i'm tired of dealing with wifi that doesn't work well.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.