[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey guys, i'm planning to go on a longer backpacking trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: large_overnight_backpacking_01.jpg (305 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
large_overnight_backpacking_01.jpg
305 KB, 1000x600
hey guys,

i'm planning to go on a longer backpacking trip alone and mostly on foot
i have done this kind of thing before but not yet alone
do you maybe have any advice that might be helpful? like unusual equipment which is also very useful, something you would not instantly think off

help is much appreciated
>>
>>806600
It's not about gear. It's about a mindset.
Being alone your margins of error are much much slimer and you have to be very aware of that.

It depends on the trail though, if it's highly popular and many walk it each day, then it's marginal in most aspects.
If you could stay stranded for hours/days... you'll need to take more risks and think things through/prepare.
Things like crossing a river, especially with brown waters, become a lot more dangerous. Spending time finding a better crossing point, waterproofing your shit (I often don't bother if I feel like the river is easy enough when hiking with others, but when I'm alone I take no chances and have at least my sleeping bag in a drybag), etc and being ready to turn back...

That's just an example, but it's a mindset that you must embrace...
>>
>>806613
since i'm walking through europe there is probably going to be a small village or farm around the way basically everywhere
my sleeping bag is always inside my backpack because weather might change very fast especially in the alps
>>
>>806618
>since i'm walking through europe there is probably going to be a small village or farm around the way basically everywhere

Where in Europe? the above statement is not true for every place on the continent, or even in the western part.

Furthermore, a village 2km away won't help you if you've broken your leg or worse.
Or if you got all your gear wet trying to cross a river, slipping and falling into it. 10km away from a village while it's cold and raining... You still may get permanent damage, hypothermia etc. Now imagine you twisted your ankle...

I'm not saying don't cross a river and don't take risks when you're alone. Just that you need a different mindset, make sure you have a contingency plan before trying something dangerous and just generally be more careful.
Personally there are some things I'd definitely do in a group but avoid doing on my own.
>>
>>806623
i'm not much of a loner even tho i have been living alone for a few years now
i get what you are saying
i have travelled alone before but then i met some friends at the destination
this time as well but i'll be walking alone a lot more often
also the routes i will taking are mostly through villages, i know mid italy quite well but about serbia and france i'm slightly concerned
>>
>>806623
i have been hiking a lot alone if that counts as mindset experience
>>
-first aid stuff (+knowledge of how to use it).
-local wildlife guide
-an old cell to call 911 (or whatever emergency number) with
-rope/straps
-doge
>>
>>806756
have no doge as much i would love one
also i have to do this thing alone
>>
Are you starting out in the Sudan and finishing in France? Or Germany
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.