[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
an idiot's guide to public land preservation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: tilconquarry.jpg (43 KB, 940x500) Image search: [Google]
tilconquarry.jpg
43 KB, 940x500
Welp, I never thought it would happen in my backyard. One of the parks in my hometown (Southington, CT) looks like it’s about to be taken over by a gravel quarry. So /out/, what do?

I’ve been researching what is going on for the past week (I’ll post major details below), I know I need to do something, but I have no idea what. I have spoken to enough people to realize that there would be strong opposition against this, but most people just are not aware and five of my friends and myself are the only organized opposition in town so far. I’m looking to host a public interest meeting, I have no idea how to do this. I have no idea who to call or what to do.

Anybody got experience in this?
>>
File: tilconpropsal.jpg (118 KB, 914x678) Image search: [Google]
tilconpropsal.jpg
118 KB, 914x678
>>804299

OP again. The park is Crescent Lake and Bradley Mountain, located in northern Southington, CT. It’s a very suburban town, but located in a valley so we have several great hiking locations. Tilcon, the gravel quarry, is looking to expand their domain to Bradley Mountain, a cliff that overlooks Crescent Lake. This would mean flattening the mountain for 40 years of *loud blasting* and mining. Even with approval from town legislatures and the mayor of neighboring New Britain, Tilcon literally needs to have state law changed before going forward because this area is a watershed. Several of our town leaders and NB’s mayor have approved these plans already, partly because Tilcon has agreed to donate land in exchange for Bradley Mountain (pic very related) including the space for what is planned to be a future reservoir. These plans have been inconsistent, it's a lot of land but it will all be around a giant quarry. Although the neighboring towns have, Southington (the place where the park IS LOCATED) has had no public hearing beyond a town council vote. I could go on, but these are the basics.

>Tl;dr: trading public space for private profit, puts other watersheds at risk for future exploitation, and no public input
>>
Fucking millennial faggots thinking every property without a mall on it is a public park.
>>
>>804302
who owns the land now?
>>
>>804387
North American Reserve LLC. They own a few dozen city, county, state and national parks including Yellowstone
>>
As a guy studying mining I suggest to accept it, because gravel is a very important part of everything we build. But also, instead of being angry at the new grounds you can try to engage in discussing plans for the old parts of the quarry that will be renaturated. These renaturated areas (especially for normal gravel mining) are often even more valuable to wildlife and local residents as a refuge then they were before mining.

tl;dr don't be whining and try to participate in shaping the soon to be naturated parts of the quarry that can turn out to be great /out/ places.
>>
>>804410

Epic, except for the fact that the national parks are owned by the federal government.
>>
>>804302
Who cares, it's just some little bitch woods and a hill surrounded by suburbs and a highway. Let's worry about the rainforest for now mmkay.
>>
Anon protect your park, people should have a say in the communities they live in, and believe or not private profits are not the be all end all. I don't have any real advice but if we all roll over when things like this happen, the future of green spaces is bleak
>>
>>804464
>studying
Since you are still in school, I suggest we take your defeatist opinion with a grain of salt

"Renaturation" takes centuries
>>
>>804816
Since you use buzzwords and are a regressive we can disregard your opinion as well
>>
>>804299
Pour sand and water into their gas tanks and dirt into their control panels. They violate leave no trace, leave a trace in their violation.
>>
>>804791
>wants to live in society with nice buildings that use gravel
>whines when source of gravel has to be located near HIS house, but doesnt care when it's somewhere else, especially near a black neighborhood
>>
>>804852
Then return via gas burning vehicle to his 2 story house with a gravel foundation where he plays xbox.
>>
>>804791
>>804852
OP here. Thanks guys. I actually I have already told a few people that Eco-terrorism/sabotage is a bad idea, but I appreciate the enthusiasm!

This thread is actually the first time I've posted here in a few years. I remember back when everyone on /out/ use make posts like this, either funny or encouraging, now it's just turned into another cesspool of internet judgment. Bite me.

For anyone who read this thread thread, I have already secured a conference room for a public interest meeting at the library, I found my way into a network of park enthusiasts tackling the issue, and gotten more and more people contacting me asking what to do. We are already doing something about this.
>>
>>804941
Right?
Fucking NIMBY's.
>>
>>805029
Too late faggot it's already approved so you will have to trespass somewhere else when you go out to smoke crack
>>
>>804944
Unless OP was suggesting that their stance was puritanical, then they're perfectly justified in criticizing & opposing extractivist activities. They may be "hypocritical", but still have perfectly valid points.
>>
>>805029
Sorry that /out/ has turned into another offshoot of 4chan's shittier boards (/b/, /pol/, /v/, etc). Hopefully it'll eventually pass, but for now, the tidal wave of cynical assholes from last year is still here.

As far as preserving the land goes, do you know if there are any Indian artifacts or cultural sites on the area itself? I've heard that many wildlands slated for destruction have been able to be preserved when it was discovered that they had some sort of cultural significance.
>>
>>805068
>Cynical assholes

Like you and OP who are plotting to steal land from a private company because you lack the effort to improve yourself
>>
>>805118
Your mindset is exactly the reason why the Appalachians are getting blown up for coal & minerals. You see an act of "stealing" in attempting to provide some avenue through which people can enjoy natural areas in already overdeveloped areas, ignoring that the development of mines & their corresponding clearcuts are stealing the capacity for people to have those experiences in nature. For suburbanites, these slivers of green are one of the few things that actually keep children connected to the environment, one far more important to our species' survival than outdated views on property rights. Property is in & of itself theft, from the clearances of the British Isles up to today's ongoing liquidation of the biosphere.
>>
>>805535

>Property is in & of itself theft

Tell us where you live so we can liberate all your property
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.