[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comfy /out/ experiences
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (781 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
781 KB, 3264x2448
Post your comfy memories. I'll start.
>Be me a few years back. 17.
>Dad invites me to hang out with him in Colorado
>Kinda reluctant but then I accept
>Parents are divorced btw. But that's away from the story.
>So anyways I arrive at Denver International
>Dad isn't really the /out/ type, is kinda lazy. He's 53 so he deserves to relax after many years of hard work.
>Wanna show him something nice.
>Keep in mind it's March so it's still snowy over there.
>We get in the truck and I give him some directions to some mountains outside of Denver.
>We eventually get to I think it was Thorodin Mtn.
>We get out the truck, and we hike up the mountain, it has a very rocky face but the snow kind of helped keep the loose rocks together which made t easier
>Finally make it pretty high up
>Quiet, light snow, cloudy, and slightly windy
>We just enjoy the silence
>Was never really close with dad, but that was one of the only times I said "I love you to him"
>Puts his arm around me and says "Anon, I love you. I'm glad you brought me here."
>We enjoy the quiet and snowy experience and just admire the rest of the scenery all around us
>One of the best memories of my father
>>
>>803883
I'll bite.

>dad's parents own about 70 acres in Virginia
>2 houses on opposite side of land, 1 is a modern house where my grandma and uncle live and the other is an old inn from the late 1700's
>visitors always stay in the "little house"
>first time I remember being up there, maybe 13 or 14
>"little house" has a nice little porch on the back too
>spend the day shooting guns, walking the land, driving our old 60's jeep through the fields, great day
>night time comes, nothing to do really, no tv or internet or any of that stuff
>dad goes out on the porch to smoke his pipe and tells me to come out and hang
>end up sitting out there for hours seeing hundreds of shooting stars, listening to animals, etc
>before we go inside he goes to grab something to drink and sees a few leftover beers from whichever family member stayed there last
>brings out 2 coors lights, hands me one
>chill out til like midnight just chatting and I sip on my first full beer

Took a while to spit it out, but it was a beautiful night. Idk if there was a legit meteor shower or maybe it's the total lack of ambient light, but the skies were active. Been there countless times since and I always have a beer out on the porch when I go there. It's my happy place. Cheers, OP. Good idea for a thread, I'll post another couple later tnite or tomorrow.
>>
>>803883
>tfw no dad to climb snowy mountain with

Glad you got to bond with your dad anon.
>>
>>803908
it's ok anon. my dad is the worst person i know and if he got sick and died i wouldn't even show-up. my point is, it could have gone either way, you don't know. so just remain neutral about it, because having a dad could fucking suck and make you want to slowly destroy an entire skyscraper with a sledgehammer in a fit of rage.
>>
>>803908
Bummer dude, my best friend growing up's dad died when he was like 9. I always feel kinda awkward since my Dad and I are so close and we play golf with my buddy and drink with him and stuff. Nothing to be done, and it's not logical, but I feel guilty for enjoying my Dad's company so much when my buddy is around. I'm this dude >>803907

And then there is this >>803911
haha, so there you go. Both sides of the spectrum for ya.
>>
File: IMG_20140619_093213_658.jpg (247 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140619_093213_658.jpg
247 KB, 768x1024
>Roughnecking in ND for a year
>Father invites me to fishing trip out in Eastern Oregon
>Haven't seen him since I was 8 or 9
>Spend a week fishing and having fun
>Every night was beautiful
>Spend hours a day, talking about how life went for each other after he left mom
>Got a lot of answers, the truth, stuff I didn't want to hear
>Dad passed away a year later

I'm glad I got to meet the guy, but life was different afterwards.
>>
File: 01.jpg (579 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
579 KB, 1600x1200
Since this thread is turning into feels/nostalgia general you guys mind if I post my pasta? I don't have any comfy family stories.

1/5
I live in a rural town, it's all woods and farmland. The tallest hill in town has been a farm since around 1690. It's behind my parents' woods. They own several acres of forest (with the neighbors all owning several acres as well) and this large hilltop field abuts the back of all of our land, with a stone wall separating it from the forest. I think it's about 25 acres cleared. The farm itself is long gone but a farmer still owns the land and comes and hays it once or twice a year.
>>
File: 02.jpg (370 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
370 KB, 1600x1200
>>803924

2/5
My childhood was filled with adventures in the woods, and when we were old enough to explore all the way back to the field it was like a rite of passage. That old stone wall, laying there in the shadows, overgrown, covered in vines. It's hard to even see out into the field during summer because the brambles and vines are so thick at the edge. Old trees of cider apples grow feral in the thicket beyond the wall, too deep to even sample an apple. This is what made the field itself so great. It was hard to get to, and when you did, the world opened-up into what seemed like an endless green pasture with the biggest sky you could ever get to see in New England. The view from the top was amazing, especially for a kid. The slope down the opposite side would grow acres of milkweed in the fall and we'd spend the day out there having wars with milkweed pods, throwing them at each other until someone got the juice and their eye and cried.
>>
File: 03.jpg (574 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
574 KB, 1600x1200
>>803926

3/5
I move a lot as an adult. In one city or another, around the US and overseas, but every few years I come back when I'm between things - jobs, moves, etc. I get back into camping and enjoying the woods before my family sells the property. I still walk out on nice days and follow the stonewall, fight through the prickers and walk around the field and enjoy the view from the top. Even as an adult I throw a few milkweed pods, despite the fact there's nobody there to thrown them at. I still love the vines, the sky, the forbidden apples.
>>
File: 04.jpg (368 KB, 2048x1354) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg
368 KB, 2048x1354
>>803927

4/5
A few months ago a tractor appeared in the field. So did a few large dump trucks. I took a walk out to snoop around the wall and take a look. The field has been marked-out with dozens of pink survey ribbons. The corner of the field near where the road passes was getting dug-up, and they were laying a large gravel driveway leading in from the street. For sure it's been sold and a cul-de-sac neighborhood is going in. Probably at least 10 shitty mcmansions full of yuppy perverts and immigrants and their kids could fit in there. Not only will it ruin the field, but then my woods would become someone else's back yard. The stonewall wouldn't stop them. It's horrible.
>>
File: 05b.jpg (271 KB, 1228x921) Image search: [Google]
05b.jpg
271 KB, 1228x921
>>803928

5/5
Well, /out/, after much research and coming up with nothing, I asked one of our town selectmen. The farmer sold the land alright - to another farmer. He's putting in an orchard. No houses, no neigborhoods, no immigrants, no perverts. Just apples and bees and a gigantic blue sky. Feelsfuckinggoodman.
>>
>>803930
Rock on man, that's super good news. Always like to see a happy ending outside of asian massage parlors.
>>
>>803930
You had me so fucking worried for a second there. Glad to hear your secret field hasn't been ruined.
>>
>>803940
>outside of asian massage parlors.
kek, and indeed

>>804053
Still keeping an eye on it though. If he opens a whole retail operation it could be annoying but either way it'll make my woods and my camping spot even less accessible to people, so s'okay
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.