[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why no light backpack????? i only carry a mora and water
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10
File: tumblr_o9hoo8zswN1ufbwoco1_400.gif (2 MB, 400x259) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9hoo8zswN1ufbwoco1_400.gif
2 MB, 400x259
why no light backpack?????
i only carry a mora and water
>>
I go naked and only carry a Mora

Makes rapes go so much easier
>>
I make fun of women and obly carry a mora.
>>
>>803590
this makes me wonder how should your pack be configured?

should I be carrying most of the weight on the hips? should the bag be bottom heavy? what level should the hip strap be at, belt level or higher?
>>
>>803739
Hips and butt carry the weight, which is in as close to center of gravity.

3/10 bait, made me reply
>>
>>803763
no bait

should your straps be super tight too?
>>
File: Jabba_the_Hutt.png (264 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Jabba_the_Hutt.png
264 KB, 480x270
>>803590
I have 3 snus pounches on my lower lip and when I saw that my head curled back and I started snorting.
Looked like jaba desu
>>
>>803590
>that gif
guest me every time.
here's a slightly longer version with audio
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vleoo
tldr; girls =retarded
>>
File: product_353582(2).jpg (10 KB, 360x180) Image search: [Google]
product_353582(2).jpg
10 KB, 360x180
Mine is normally an old camelbak mule
Pocket knife which is edc anyway
Collapsing dog bowl
Tiny 10ct bandages
Zip lock in case it rains and I need to store my phone, thus robbing myself of music.

Give or take lip balm and a snack. If it weren't for the puppet I could just be gay and carry one of those waist packs with a water bottle for that superior lack of back sweat.

These shits we're neat before they stopped selling em
>>
File: 42919920141210173827.jpg (1 MB, 3100x2789) Image search: [Google]
42919920141210173827.jpg
1 MB, 3100x2789
>>803800
don't work!
>>
>>803594
you forgot the condoms
>>
No gun? Easy rape
>>
>>804272
>>rape
>>condoms
>>
>>804940
You shouldn't ever forget the Leave No Trace rule when outdoors.
>>
>>804973
Thanks for cleaning up my used condoms you dirty hippie
>>
>>804218

Why is that pack so big
>>
>>805040

Its from a movie, aka bullshit with a bit of womyn-stronk mixed in.
>>
>>805040
>>805111
Sadly enough, doing a bit of reading from the real lady that did this, the gear is almost a perfect replica. She still has the original pack and much of the equipment, and Gregory (the company that made it) set up the film with the same stuff. It was over 70lbs when she started out, but over the trip she dumped a lot of gear. She had no backpacking experience when she started out, and was badly overloaded.
>>
>>805153
>badly overloaded when she started out

Yeah buddy that's a lot of weight. While the gear of the time was much heavier than the stuff available today, she also just carried stupid shit. Like the whole fucking time she was hiking (didn't want to say the whole fucking way because that could imply she finished, which she didn't). It's been a few years since I read it, but I remember some stupid ass shit like two hard back books and a hard back diary/journal. Shit may have been heavy back in the 90's, but not that heavy, and they definitely had paperbacks then. That said, Strayed (the author) is a less than trustworthy sort and prolly liked about a lot of the shit. She was always taking easy routes and never seemed to enjoy herself in the woods.
>>
>>805177
Is book shit like movie? I mean not mentioning trip and enjoying wood but fucking flashbacks, whorings around and "i have to sucks dicks cuz i have some bad family stuff and blame my husband for sucking other guys dick" thing? Seriously movie was beyond shit.
>>
>>803766
Only as tight as they need to be to keep the bag secure.
Also, you want the heaviest stuff close to your body, between your shoulder blades. Too high, and you'll lose your balance, too low, and it'll lever down on your shoulders and kill your muscles.
>>
>>804218
>letting that emergency whistle just hang there without attaching it to anything
>>
File: reese-witherspoon-wild_.jpg (863 KB, 1980x814) Image search: [Google]
reese-witherspoon-wild_.jpg
863 KB, 1980x814
>>804523
>>
>>804218
>http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vleoo

link is fine
>>
>>805306
its just a prop.
prop technicians just hang that shit on here like they're decorating a christmas tree
>>
>>803800
>bong women
Figures.
>>
>>803739
Yes
No
Belt

This >>805286
>>
>>805260
>book shit like movie
Yep. If anything, it's a little worse than the movie cuz she goes more into cunt-leaking detail about all the touchy-feely emotional safe-space bullshit about her mother (easier to inject that shit with a book I suppose). There's more of solid play by play narrative to the whole hike which is where I'm making the accusation that -of the section of the PCT she hiked- she actually didn't hike that much and hitch hiked/cheated large parts of the path.

Now you might be wondering why, since I obviously hate the movie and book so much, did I read the book. I did it because people I respect kept asking me about it. I finished the book and movie because I saw a lot of people who would potentially really enjoy hiking getting corrupted by this woman's bullshit and I wanted to be able to speak articulately about it and to be a stronger force against it. So in short;

FUCK THE BOOK.
FUCK THE MOVIE.

Being out isn't that hard, in fact, it's the best thing ever. It pisses me right the fuck off when someone takes out their goddamn fucked up problems and life on something I love and in turn poisons the minds of other people.
>>
File: dBBlNRM.png (90 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
dBBlNRM.png
90 KB, 1000x1200
>>803739
>>
>>805374
>http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vleoo
:(
>>
>>805748
do you have the remaining of this set (volume II)?
>>
>>806196
>vodka in a medkit, le epic Russia Amirite?
>first aid only accounts for dressing cuts, nothing for burns or more serious injuries
/k/ are such memes
>>
>>806196
>cast iron pot

Wtf? Fuck that noise I'm not humping that shit around in my pack
>>
>>805177
next time bring a book to enhance your vocabulary
>>
File: göran haglöfs.webm (1 MB, 492x360) Image search: [Google]
göran haglöfs.webm
1 MB, 492x360
>>805040
>>805153
>women

webm related, 143 pounds (65 kg)
>>
>>806930
dude. wtf?
>>
>>806930
what could possibly be in there to make it 65kgs?

also just as a general range, how heavy should a pack be?
I think mine hovers around 19kgs but I've never actually weighed it
>>
>>807098
>how heavy should a pack be?

For what purpose?
A pack for a day hike on the AT should not weight the same as one for a month long mountaineering expedition to the antarctic.

It's silly that I need to point this out.
>>
>>807098
To expand on anon's question.

How much weight should a pack be for...

1 day trip = ?

3 day trip = ?

Week long trip = ?

Month long trip = ?
>>
A packs weight doesn't matter its whatever is comfortable for you to carry. I myself can comfortable carry a pack weighing 60+ pounds for a month. How do I know this? Because I have done it. Its whatever that is comfortable for you to personally carry. My girlfriend well at the time could only carry 30 pounds meanwhile I can pack more.
>>
>>807110
Under 2 pounds for any trip
>>
>>807160
confirmed for having no experience in hiking.
>>
>>807098
Climbing gear

He bicycled from Sweden to Himalaya, then carried it to base camp himself, and climbed the summit without supplemental oxygen
>>
>>803878
So your version of /out/ is a day hike?
>>
File: 1463554809457.jpg (173 KB, 999x1300) Image search: [Google]
1463554809457.jpg
173 KB, 999x1300
Don't know about the rest of you anons but I live in the desert so I have to ruck all my water with me.

Makes my average pack weight always come in at 4-6lbs as I'm carrying 2-3L of water in a bladder.

>tfw average rainfall is 8"/yr so I can't just filter and drink groundwater
>water table is like 10' below the surface so it makes no sense to dig for water on a dayhike
>>
>>807235
You carry 2-3L and call that a desert?
Lol, when I go to the desert here I'm taking 6L a day at a minimum hiked with up to 12L on me.
>>
>>807271
I'm not gonna take 6L of water on a dayhike for me and my pup, anon.
>>
>>806930
cringing
>>
>>807206
>He bicycled from Sweden to Himalaya, then carried it to base camp himself, and climbed the summit without supplemental oxygen

Can you link to the story, sounds like an interesting read. Plus I'm likely going to pass some of the same areas in central Asia.
>>
File: kropplistan.jpg (509 KB, 2000x1414) Image search: [Google]
kropplistan.jpg
509 KB, 2000x1414
>>807710
http://www.elitereaders.com/man-climbed-mt-everest-alone-without-supplemental-oxygen-biked-home/
there are books about him regarding that particular trip, but not sure if they're in english
>>
>>803590
You'll carry that weight, and you'll enjoy it
>>
>>806196
>vodka for first aid
>a fucking bag of flour
>cast iron pot
jesus christ /k/ommandos really are dumb.
>>
>>807760
kek.
>>
>>806304
to be fair, dressing a burn is basically
>cool
>wash
>disinfect
>dress it

gauze and alcohol can easily be used for this.

this is also a basic primer for newfags they expect to only go on overnight-threeday trips. /k/ has also produced detailed wound treatment guides for everything from compound fractures, to burns, to bullet wounds.

shit bitch, before /out/ was, /k/ am.
>>
>>809107
Vodka is shit for treating wounds though, it leaves a nasty residue which feeds bacteria.
>>
>>808744

you're talking about people who probably think chugging a bottle of whiskey will keep them warm in the snow
>>
>>809138
oh yeah, I agree about dropping vodka. it's flashpoint is too high to be useful unless you're basically buying ever clear.

the graphic does say vodka OR is isopropanol though.
>>
>>807209
Unfortunately yes, most of my /out/ activities were limited to dayhikes/biking and spur of the moment shit since I was working 7am-whenever the job was done 6 days a week.moved back home which was on 14acres of private land bordering a shitload of river front so while I could dick around in the river and woodland I still didn't need to haul much.
Now I live in the city and it's full of suck.
Wanted to do the colorado trail this summer but circumstances changed and I'll have to put it off till next year.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.