[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have good resources for someone that's never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 336x150) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 336x150
Does anyone have good resources for someone that's never been fly fishing before? I'm going in a couple of weeks and I'd like to learn as much as I can beforehand.
I'll be fishing in the Elk River in Fernie, British Columbia, Canada.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 520x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 520x425
>>803567
>inb4 check the catalog

There's a few people on /out/ who fly fish so hopefully they will stop by. It takes some practice though so if you have access to a rod, you may want to cast a bit even on dry land.
>>
>>803567
>If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him
>>
>>803567
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fly+fishing
>>
File: exe5r65c65c.jpg (192 KB, 840x960) Image search: [Google]
exe5r65c65c.jpg
192 KB, 840x960
I took a 2 hour lesson that a local outfitter was offering but most of the stuff I learned on youtube I think the channel I found easiest to follow was the tightlinesflyshop

Fly fishing is like any other fishing in the sense that it can be as simple or as complicated as you'd like it to be.

Learn how to set up your rod, research what flies and tecnniques (nymphing vs dry flies, steamers etc) and learn the basic overhead cast, the roll cast and line mending for a drag free drift. After you have an idea go out to an open area of grass and practice practice practice your casts.

any questions please ask
>>
>>804834
I have to second the YouTube comment. While I haven't tried tightlinesflyshop, I've learned a bit from the Orvis school.

I used to fly fish as a kid but I never got the hang of it till recently. Online education is a free but effective way to learn the basics.

Also you'll want to pick up a few different knots for building custom leaders, switching line out, etc.

If you love it, you might consider learning to tie flies, but that's down the road for most (I learned how to tie flies before I learned to fish however, but I wouldn't go that route a second time)
>>
>>803567
Orvis have an epic fly fishing pod cast that will teach you a lot of stuff
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.