[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So when i'm out, how do i keep myself from getting stung
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 1465417216416.jpg (260 KB, 900x948) Image search: [Google]
1465417216416.jpg
260 KB, 900x948
So when i'm out, how do i keep myself from getting stung to death by insects like ticks and mosquitoes?
>>
DEET
E
E
T
>>
Ive yet to find something that actually helps other than bug nets and more clothing
>>
File: Smoking.jpg (35 KB, 396x492) Image search: [Google]
Smoking.jpg
35 KB, 396x492
bug nets, deet n clothing are all the best way.

If you find yourself without these, making a smoky fire helps too, time/region/laws/ect permitting- toss greenish wood or punky wood along with leaves or w/e on top of your fire.

Probly not the best reason to pick up this habit, but smoking seems to cut down on them too. Not sure if while doing the act, it distracts you, or the small amount of smoke actually is enough or what but it's just a bullshit unsubstantiated feeling I have about it.
>>
>>802942
Do you smoke your skin so that it'll repel bugs or does it only work while the fire is smoking ?
>>
>mosquitoes
long sleeves, bug net onna head over wide brim hat or bug spray
>ticks
Deet, full tick check before bed, anti-tick condom
>>
>>803021
never actively tried smoking meself, but I'll give it a shot.

Other things I've tried that prolly had a placebo effect, but I'd do again if I forgot bug spray/proper gear-

-rubbing fresh pine needles on the skin
-rubbing pine sap on the skin
-dunking mself in every stream I come across
-rubbing dirt/mud on myself.

fuckin bugs man. They're the only reason I own a tent and don't just tarp all the time.

>>803051
>anti-tick condom
good man.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>803064
Don't start smoking just to keep bugs away.
>>
File: living in darkness.png (398 KB, 960x554) Image search: [Google]
living in darkness.png
398 KB, 960x554
>>802922
Best way is to be fast like sanic.

They can't catch you if you're fast.
>>
If you are working with your hands (picking up wood i.e.) and you feel something tickles on your arms it's probably a tick searching it's way.
so don't scratch or ignore it, but use your eyes and if, remove it.
I live in a high risk tick area (encephalitis & Boreliosis) and I can remove about 50% before they even bite by just being self aware.
>>
>>803083
I remember I found a tick (once) crawling up the side of my pant leg and I just flicked the motherfucker off. I was also sitting in my friend's car at the time.

This was back when I didn't really know much about ticks other than they suck your blood. Thinking back...that tick was probably just crawling around in my buddy's car waiting for it's next victim.

I should of burned and killed it.
>>
>>802922
You will never be stung by a tick and you will never be bitten by a scorpion.

And not because you are a shut in, video game playing fagot.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.