[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wanna get into wood carving. My goal is to be able to carve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: emil.jpg (127 KB, 293x348) Image search: [Google]
emil.jpg
127 KB, 293x348
I wanna get into wood carving. My goal is to be able to carve some pretty figurines, little bigger than chess pieces.

Anybody know a good guide? What kind of knife/knives will I need? What kind of wood is good for carving?

Also just general carving thread.
>>
>>802888
>>802826
>>
>>802888
Deep woods venture is the way to go for knives.
>>
>>802977
wow great thread thnx
>>
>>802888
I would start with bass wood because it's pretty soft and has straight grain which makes carving easier and more predictable.
There is a guy named schpoingle on yt and he has good basic beginner face tutorials. A good place to start when carving is to try to carve an egg. It sounds simple but it takes some time you'll learn about how to carve with the different directions of grain so you don't split off large sections.
http://ebay.com/itm/16-Basswood-Carving-Turning-Wood-Blocks-1-3-4-x-1-3-4-x-3-/111810823507
That's the wood I recommend to start with. For knives a deep woods venture general carver (one of the middle sizes will work) and scalpel with straight blade for details.
Also consider getting a spoon knife because carving spoons is fun af and you can give them away as gifts.
>>
>>804616
yes, get a "spoon knife"

try to learn to carve a rooster
sage
>>
>>802888
Eeeeemiiil!
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.