[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Milsurp alternative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
So I've used a lot of military surplus for hiking, but I'm wanting to move to more civilian gear so I don't get so many looks. Recommend anything at about the same price?
>>
>>802285
This is a really good idea
>>
>recommend well built gear that is also the kind of cheap that happens when it's built for thousands of people
milsurp and fabric dye
alternatively, stop giving a fuck that people look at you while out. you need to get better at eye contact anyway
>>
>>802285
>wanting to move to more civilian gear so I don't get so many looks
>caring about what other people think
>going /out/ where there are other people

sage
>>
File: woolshirt-1.jpg (718 KB, 888x1010) Image search: [Google]
woolshirt-1.jpg
718 KB, 888x1010
>>802285
No such thing exists. Just go for plain colors like od and tan, no camoflauge. Generally speaking older stuff look more civilian than its modern equivalent. I have a pair of German cargo pants from the 70s and they are about as good as your traditional civilian outerwear (a bit heavier though). Couple something like that with a wool jacket (I'm from Canada and I've seen plenty of shirts like pic related for $10+), they are decent poor mans fleece. Or a commando sweater without epauletes would do you good aswell. Look around for other stuff as you go along.

Milsurp is probably the only thing decent you will get that could match specifically made outdoor wear. Or maybe hunting clothes I heard that they are pretty cheap so maybe you could check that out.
>>
File: 1463224830087.jpg (163 KB, 750x392) Image search: [Google]
1463224830087.jpg
163 KB, 750x392
>>802386
this. milsurp is the best /out gear there is. The only comperable alternative is super expensive swiss shit.
>>
>>802386
>>802398

I do kinda have to get out of my house and go there. In that time frame I don't want anyone calling the cops on me thinking I'm about to be another Eric Frein or some stolen valor person who needs a talking to. I just wanna be more incognito is that bad?
>>
>>802285
It would help if you would tell us what kind of "gear" you wanted to replace.

>>802445
You can't have used much other than milsurp because milsurp is generally inferior to even low tier outdoors clothing for actual outdoors activity.

Milsurp clothing is closer to workwear than outdoors clothing.
>>
File: british_army_softie_jacket_1.jpg (50 KB, 800x666) Image search: [Google]
british_army_softie_jacket_1.jpg
50 KB, 800x666
>>802460
>milsurp is generally inferior to even low tier outdoors clothing for actual outdoors activity

Depends. Canadian combat pants and American BDU pants are pretty good. Lots of big pockets and really loose and roomy for ease of movement and good airflow. Just don't expect them to last for years and years of use. They're meant to be replaced when worn.

Polypro base layers are pretty standard. I still use mine from my time in the mil. Got a neck gaiter and a facemask as well that'll do the exact same job as the civie equivalent.

Old-school all-leather combat boots are generally crap, but virtually all NATO armies ditched those decades ago. Not hard to find surplus breathable nylon & goretex boots these days.

The raingear is usually always crap though. Rubberized garbage that will cause you to sweat your ass off and get soaked anyway. And military sleeping bags, while quite warm, are heavy as death and impossible to compress. Military sleeping pads and shelter halves are also absurdly bulky and heavy compared to the civilian equivalent. Woobies are great though.

Also, the Brits have some good kit. Like their 'softie jackets' from Snugpak. Absolutely amazing piece of gear for the size and weight.
>>
craigslist and thrift stores, nigga. you just have to be aggressive in your searching and flexible about what you get.
>>
>>802285
definitely echo everyone else here- inna woods should be a judgement free zone, so if it's looks take it as approval or fuck 'em it's their problem.

Definitely would help knowing what bits in particular you want to replace. Amazon is a great source for affordable no-name but non-military things like clothing, stoves, headlamps whathaveyou. Some military manufacturers have grown hip to the fact that a large amount of people use their stuff who aren't active service and so they now will make things in patterns outside of olive drab and camo. I'm thinking of the woobie and the USGI ponchos in particular but it applies to other things too.
>>
>>802460
Anything worn visibly basically. So pack, jacket/coat, shirt, pants. Generally looking for lighter weight and more breathability. One thing in particular I've really been looking for is something like a dpm smock, just not in dpm.
>>
>Dumping trendy tryhard gear that's overpriced and weighs three times as much as the civilian equivalent

You're growing up op
>>
>>802929
>trendy tryhard

The immature one here is you if you think people buy milsurp to be 'trendy'. Its tough and its cheap, that is the main reason people get it for /out/ use.
>>
File: ready for the revolution.jpg (46 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
ready for the revolution.jpg
46 KB, 576x432
>>802940
keep telling yourself that's why you buy it, and not to be a tacti/k/ool operator wannabe faggot.
>>
>>802950
I don't have to 'keep telling myself', its obviously true unless you are a malicious liar on the internet.

If you actually went outdoors would you freak out every time you saw someone minding their business outdoors because they happened to be wearing a piece of milsurp?
>>
>>802955
nope. because i go /out/ all the time and i can't recall the last time i saw someone wearing/carrying milsurp because other people who also actually go /out/ buy proper /out/ gear instead of heavy, cumbersome equipment designed for different applications that's only used by civilians to fulfill their absurd rambo fantasies because their too much of a sperg to sack up and do it for real.
>>
>>802963
*they're

changed the sentence, forgot to change the homonym
>>
>>802457
>thinking you're eric frein
don't carry a rifle around
>stolen valor
dont wear patches that say you did something you didn't
plenty of people wear milsurp. you run into trouble when you're a confrontational asshole and/or claim to be a devgru seal team six operator who personally shot bin laden and hitler with the same bullet
If you want to replace your gear because you found something better, by all means do it. Spending more money to replace gear that already works for you, solely because you're afraid of what people's perceptions might be shows you are insecure and not economically savvy
>>
I see people wear milsurp jackets or trousers outside all the time.

To claim there is something wrong with it is absurd.
>>
I personally like khaki/tan pants with an olive green top and I never get any looks.

People are usually friendly and like to start up a little chat with me but I'm awkward and dislike other humans.
>>
File: hi-viz.jpg (40 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
hi-viz.jpg
40 KB, 500x375
>>802457
As a stopgap measure until you get some less military looking gear, you could disarm your appearance with colors. I was thinking wear a hi-vis vest and/or have hi-vis bits on your pack. Tacticool mall commandos don't like to be seen, normal people inna woods don't like to be mistaken for game and shot.

Bonuses
+lightweight
+packable
+good for survival situations
+cheap
>>
>>803061
there ya go
OP just get a purple shemagh. that way people will think you're a hipster instead of dale gribble
>>
File: 48forum.jpg (37 KB, 375x300) Image search: [Google]
48forum.jpg
37 KB, 375x300
This has to be the gayest thread on /out/ in a long time.
>>
>>802285
Who cares if you get looks? It's not a fucking fashion show. I use my assault pack as a fishing backpack, and even use my camalback as a water source. It's cheap and it works, so who even cares?
>>
>>803192
For working in cold weather I would never dump my us airforce gear.

When your trying to stay warm below 0 civilian gear gets really expensive. The US airforce exteme cold weather system can be cobbled together off ebay for $300.

You're not even getting boots for $300 at north face or anything close.

For cold weather, milsurplus has no equal in price.
>>
File: k_repellent.jpg (19 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
k_repellent.jpg
19 KB, 550x550
>>803061
this
>>
>>802285
Goodwill sells pretty good cold weather clothing in the cold months in larger city's for cheap. like 15 bucks for a jacket. they use to be made by goodwill, dunno if they still have that program. though.

and most milsurp is utter junk.. some of the older 80s to like 2010s US milsurp pants are fucking junk. they are heavy as shit when they get wet, and you're honestly better off wearing JEANS.
>>
>>803258
This is what drives me nuts about milsurp fags, if you want to save money you can get cheap great from goodwill or salvation army. You can find gear that's more than durable enough it will just be heavy but it will still be lighter than milsurp. It just won't be "fashionable"
>>
>>803234
That APECS jacket though. Love that thing so much.
>>
>>803357
>roll the dice on whether or not someone has donated the type of gear you want AND nobody else has bought it AND it's available in a store near you
or
>go to any online milsurp retailer, compare prices and types, have it delivered to your door
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.