[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ultralight head pack is glorious . also..... Ultralight hate club.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: NowNecessarilyWithThisForm.jpg (1 MB, 3283x2462) Image search: [Google]
NowNecessarilyWithThisForm.jpg
1 MB, 3283x2462
Ultralight head pack is glorious . also.....

Ultralight hate club.
>>
File: based3.jpg (20 KB, 804x446) Image search: [Google]
based3.jpg
20 KB, 804x446
>>801172

Lol at the guys in the background smiling with backpacks and trekking poles
>>
File: 413Gy6elAQL._SY400_.jpg (16 KB, 234x400) Image search: [Google]
413Gy6elAQL._SY400_.jpg
16 KB, 234x400
>>801192

For relevance, been thinking about buying pic related
>>
>>801194
>>801172
Personally, I'd rather use a dolley like those game carts with the large bike-looking wheels. They are really nice for carrying massive amounts of stuff.
>>
>>801251
https://www.amazon.com/Hauler-Utility-Hunting-Accessories-Straps/dp/B00HUAP7N8

30lbs
holds 500lbs
solid rubber wheels
solid steel with brown powder finished
$68.95

Funny thing is that most "hiking" versions of this stuff is insanely expensive.
>>
My ruck is currently 49.3lbs, including 72 hours of food, and 2L of water.

I could drop 3lbs easily by buying a modern pack, and I could drop more weight by getting rid of backup/redundant gear, or by choosing to freeze my arse off at night. I just don't want to. I can carry the weight and I want the necessary tools and materials to get my own ass out of trouble should it happen, and the ability to survive unexpected inclement weather.

My impression is that ultralighters rely on civilization to help them when very minor things go wrong. That's fine; there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Civilization probably isn't going anywhere any time soon and relying on it isn't some kind of moral failure, given that all modern humans have to rely upon it to some degree.

For myself, I think it's a cop-out to rely on civilization for every minor problem, especially when hiking is all about getting away from civilization. If you don't carry the tools and materials needed to effect even the most minor repairs to your gear while hiking, or carry even the most minimal 'emergency' or backup equipment, then you're not really getting away from civilization. You're not relying upon yourself for anything, and that's what hiking is to me: proving to yourself that you can be relied upon.
>>
>>801264
In the 1980s, I did extreme ultra light camping. Just stuff that fits in a 35mm film canister for 2 weeks at a time and the stuff I'm wearing. The only metal I had was inside the canister, razor blades, needles, and fish hooks. 1st off the freedom is absolutely amazing. You can sleep literally everywhere anywhere you want since you don't need to find a spot just right for angle and size to pitch a tent. Obviously, I don't live in a place where there's a shit load of insect or scorpion problems. The worst I got is a wolf spider running across my face; which is no worse than in my house at times.

I did a ton of foraging, gathering, snaring, and fishing. On each occasion, by the end of the 1st week I had earthenware bowls I fired in makeshift mud kilns. I could heat stones and drop them into the bowls of water to boil the water and make stew/soup. The water I got prior to that for the week was from vegetation (chew, suck juices out, & spit out plant unless I was eating it.) Only after the bowls are made do I drink water I harvest from other sources.

It was a lot of fun. I made shelters, bows & arrows, cordage, and some tanned hides. But, since I was only ever out for 2 weeks I never had to really hustle to harvest, hunt, and preserve food stocks or build a permanent shelter. I could have done that, I mean I'm a farmer and that is kinda what I do as a living, but not needing to do that, knowing that I'll return to a normal home, puts one's mind at ease. Which can detract from the experience. Make no mistake, actually acquiring enough food and preserving it to last months is a monumental task for someone alone in the woods. You literally eat and breath hard work the entire time, no days off.
>>
>>801306
You must live in a warmer climate than I. That would only be feasible in the height of summer in Canada.
>>
>>801311
Summer 110F, winter -15F is the normal maxes. Though sometimes it reaches -40F in winter.

Winter is boring here. No fun at all outdoors. Every year is getting warmer now and rainier in winter. So everything is half frozen mud. Any temps above 35F is good enough for me though. Temp shelters are easy and quick to build.
>>
File: feels.png (199 KB, 388x431) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
199 KB, 388x431
>>801172
ipod got unplugged lol
>>
>>801336
kek
>>
>>801324
Stop making the planet warm up with huge carbon footprint and environmental destruction you hypocrite
>>
>>801597
lol much delusion, anon
>>
>>801597
You're kidding right? I have a logging company come in every 15 years and clear cut my property and replant. Nearly all 840 acres gets clear cut and replanted. Making a few shit shelters with deadfall does fuck all for the environment. You LNT faggots are a high order deluded lot.
>>
>>801306
I bring my bicycle and bring a backpack with a hoodie and a wool blanket, a knife, 2 pounds of nuts, a fishing pole and a bottle to hold water. I usually ride about 50 miles out into a national forest and go as deep as possible. If the fishing is good I stay for up for a month, if no fish in the streams I find I will stay til my nut sack is empty. Yes forever alone, nobody is willing to camp the way I camp, I build my own shelters and fires etc and bring almost nothing. People don't think it's fun but I do.
>>
>>802723

That's the spirit anon. Do what works for you.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.