[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poyke pot, backpack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (13 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13 KB, 274x184
Hey guys

So, I am planning on buying a poyke pot (Mostly for 1-3 persons meals), what size you think I should get?

Also, what backpack (size wise) I should get for long thru-hikes (tens+ kilometers) - I gonna need to carry water, food, stove, sleepingbag, some clothes, maybe a tent (but that I can tie to the pack) and other shit. 55L will be enough? I dont wanna carry something too big if it isnt necessary
>>
>>800819
Hello OP,

For the pot I would go for a bigger size as I guess you will use it in your base camp (not carry it around all day). Then weight is not the primary concern. Having it little big bigger gives you versatility.

55L is what I have also. I envy my friend for his 65 as it looks more suitable to our climate and conditions (Finland).

Have fun!
>>
>>800831
Actually my concern with the pot is the price. These poyke pots are expensive af, I mean way too expensive for an iron pot (60$ for a 4L pot, I think, and up to 110$ for 6-7L pot)
>>
Op get a military pot https://www.google.ca/search?q=military+cooking+pots+with+lid+frying+pan&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqpq7ExsHNAhUUHmMKHVW8CdIQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=crtANCa8Pz0qDM%3A something like that one. I own it and I can cook a meal for 6+ people in it. Mine is a 8 liter thou
>>
>>800819
Is there a difference between these and a cast iron dutch oven?

I have a dutch oven that i use for soups and stews. I can hang it above the fire or put it on coals.

What makes this pot special over my 20 dollar cast iron dutch oven?
>>
>>800867
Well, there is no difference, I guess. Only problem is that I won't be able to find a dutch oven in my country.. never seen one..

More opinions about the pack?
>>
Bumping it since it got to page 5.
>>
File: Potjie4.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1216) Image search: [Google]
Potjie4.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1216
the general rule of thumb with potjies is your first one will be too big and each one you buy afterwards will be smaller that the previous. maybe you can buck this trend. potjie pot is superior to the dutch oven due to longer legs. my smallest pot (3/4) holds 2.5L and can be bought to a boil with just a handful of kindling placed directly underneath, hard to do with short-leg pots.
>>
>>801205
What country do you love in? I figured that dutch ovens of one sort or another existed everywhere.
>>
File: DSC05713.jpg (804 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSC05713.jpg
804 KB, 2048x1536
>>801205
>pack?
if you're going with #6 potjie or larger you'll need a wagon or pack animal. I would pick the #2 potjie or smaller for a party of three.
>>
>>801464
No no, the pack I am talking about isnt for carrying the pot.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.