[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Platypus bags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: platypus.jpg (54 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
platypus.jpg
54 KB, 900x900
Is there some trick to filling up Platypus bags? I bought one of these things to use with my Sawyer filter and I've been having a hell of a time trying to fill it using my bathtub to simulate a shallow pool of water. The best method I've been able to come up with is sort of a scooping motion, but it takes forever. Just immersing the thing usually ends up with the water level in the bag actually decreasing.

I mean, it works and everything but it's just a pain in the ass to fill. I was wondering if there's some sort of trick to make it easier.
>>
>>800387
What did you expect when you bought it? It obviously has a small opening that isn't really suited for what you want.

Platypus makes bags that unzip entirely on one end that you could fill in seconds.
>>
Skip to 2:00 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vykKJ4hzyGM
>>
Just buy a large propel or smart water bottle. That's what I use for my sawyer
>>
It's much easier to fill from a running source, which you should be getting water from anyway. Stagnant water tastes worse and is worse for you.
>>
>>800650
but bathtub water is delicious
>>
>>800387
Don't these not quite fit sawyer minis properly?
>>
>>800673
OP here. The one I bought works just fine. No leaks or anything.

>>800445
Well, I needed something that a) fit my filter and b) allowed me to squeeze it to increase the rate of flow. So a bag with a small opening was really my only choice and Platypus was what was available at my local store.

>>800456
Trouble with blowing into the bottle is that this is going to be used for dirty water, and I don't want to put my mouth on something that is full of bacteria and protozoa.

>>800650
Obviously given the choice I'd choose clear running water over bog water, but I might not have that choice. And the whole point of a filter is to remove all the crap that makes stagnant water harmful. I also have a dropper bottle of Clorox as a backup that I can use to kill anything that the filter can't remove.
>>
>>800726
Jeez. The lack of logic in this thread is astounding. Not you, OP, you're just asking -- but the lack of helpful answers is just sad

>Hi! Any help with [x]
>OP is dumb for getting [x], should instead have bought [y]

OP: Platybags are awesome -- 2L storage for 35g can hardly be beat, also, they can hold hot water. Don't listen to the torpedoes.

As for the solution: You use a different vessel to fill it. Basking about in a small pool with your platy will fuck up the bottom of the pool, making the water murky AF.

Rather, take you hiking bottle of coffe cup or whatever, scoop water from the pool/lake, and fill the platy little by little.

There. Solved it.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.