[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Backpacking around Denver
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: thunder lake.jpg (130 KB, 680x392) Image search: [Google]
thunder lake.jpg
130 KB, 680x392
Hi /out/,

Me n the lady friend are going to Denver in early August and are hoping to do three nights of backpacking while we're there. We're both Rocky Mountain noobs (thought I've got a fiar amount of backpacking experience). A friend from the area suggested we do the Thunder Lake to Lion Lake loop (pic related) in Rocky Mountain National Park, which seems pretty good for what we're looking for. It's about 16.5 miles which is shorter than I'd normally plan for 3 days but we're both east coasters and not used to the elevation of the Rockies. We're not looking to overexert ourselves and cover as much ground as possible.

If anyone knows the area and has better location ideas/tips for camping in the Rockies, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Love,
Sc/out/
>>
Self Bump
>>
Pics of your lady friend for a more detailed opinion.
>>
Second self bump
>>
I was just up there on that trail a few weeks ago and it has some great scenery. Since it is RMNP it can get busy but the Wild Basin entrance wasn't crowded last time I was there.
>>
File: P7010014.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
P7010014.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Hey OP, are you driving to Denver or flying? How far away are you willing to travel away from Denver to camp? Are you guys camping noobs or just rocky mountain noobs? Do you like fishing?

I can give you some recommendations from a trip I went on 2 years ago closeish to there. pic related
>>
Buy some bug spray and visit the Indian Peaks (just south of RNMP)
>>
Going to do that loop over mt alice tomorrow. And maybe try for five peaks the next day. There are a couple of smaller hikes Ill give a try. Will let you know of anything noteworthy.
August is usually the first month to do a nontechnical longs peak summit if your interested but it gets crowded.
>>
>>800364
don't leave Denver on a Friday or Saturday, you'll spend all three days in traffic.

I think RMNP is the standard experience, and from what I hear it's perfectly lovely.

You'll have to drive further up and further in to find the locals' favorite spots. Whether or not it's worth the extra hours of drive time is up to you really.

to be onnest all of the rockies get pretty crowded this time of year. It's hard to avoid people, the only way to get away is to get off the trail. Even then there's folks all around.
>>
>>800364
Just practice proper fire safety
>>
>>801737
Rawah Wilderness up by Fort Collins is desolate as fuck.
>>
You will hate it here. Trust me. Over rated. Tell your friends.
>>
>>800364
Juanton is that you??
>>
File: 20160628_180548.jpg (4 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160628_180548.jpg
4 MB, 3984x2988
Just got back.
Blue are park trails. Chiefs Head day 1. Bluebird day 2.
Red is path taken.
Green are rough other possible routes.

In august there should be less ice.
On after thunder lake the trail is there but conditions make it hard to see or follow. It disappears around where green and red combine and we class 3d what I would call a 5.7.
Everything from there on was class 1 with regular boulder fields that became class 2. Summiting chiefs head is class 2 the whole final ridge.
Bluebird lake trail is class 1 for the first 5.5 miles. The last mile had some class 2 moments.

Reccomended itinerary
Day 1: find campsite and settle near where trail splits to lion/thunder.
Day 2: Go to bluebird and ouzel lake go on to pipit if possible.
Day 3: do mt alice or chiefs head, hopefully you are more acclimated by now because it is along time above treeline.

If you dont feel the need to summit anything it is definitely worth it to follow the ridge all the way to the continental divide. Going all the way to bluebird lake is also worth it.

General advice.
Wear sunscreen and reapply, altitude is a bitch.
Bring some kind of oxygen suplement even if just placebo.
Bring lots of water and a backup way to filter even though filtering is almost not necessary at the top.
Bug spray, they are already everywhere and will only get worse. It is wet back there.
Shoes that can get wet/dry out quick / barefoot. I was thankful for my NB minimus.
Get there the previous night to take care of park pass, overnight parking permit, and to get a campsite.
When you summit go as light as possible.
The lion lake side is an easier approach but thunder lake is prettier.
Ger your ass up to the continental divide. Making it over the crest will stay with me.

I will answer any questions and provide pictures or more information when possible.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.