[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /out/ forage for anything? Not necessarily food or hunting.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Does /out/ forage for anything?

Not necessarily food or hunting.

Im planning to gather pine resin for a few projects and maybe try to find some decent sized logs to age for woodworking. Watched a few videos of people digging for amber and other precious stones but i doubt ill find any of those.

Curious what /out/ does besides practice pyro skills or sleeping while innawilderness
>>
I hunt, fish and trap. Forage for mushrooms during spring and fall, berry pick during the spring and fall. I do loads of foraging.
>>
>>800156
Im scurred to try mushroom or berry foraging.

Bought a few guides, but when i go out and try i feel like said plants dont match worth a damn. Next step it to look up mushroom or foraging clubs but they're all near the cities rather than nearby rural places.
>>
>>800178
This is all down to a game of patience. You're not going to be an expert on foraging wild plants or mushrooms overnight or even over a few years. You need to take it slow, and be meticulous. Try to make no more than one or two positive identifications each time you go out, but even then, that's optimistic. For a lot of plants you may need to watch them for a while (like throughout the season) to really feel like you know what they are. be aware of when and where you are finding something. I don't know the best guide for the rockies (I'm assuming that's where you are from pic related) but For the midwest and northeast, I recommend Samuel Thayer's books. Nature's garden is a nice starter guide.
>>
>>800150
I've thought about trying to catch, cook and eat things like grasshoppers. I know it's weird, but people all over the world do it, and some consider it a delicacy. Some good protein
>>
>>800150

I don't here in criminal island because every fucking thing kills ya.

Moving to Brexitland soon and am interested in foraging there as far fewer things can kill ya. Cunts don't even have drop bears.

Any good UK guides out there?
>>
I collect some basic shit for cooking like Laetiporus sp, Allium ursinum and Vaccinium myrtillus.

and I have a bunch of eel traps.
>>
>>801903
where in brexit you going?
>>
File: 1460574248427.jpg (104 KB, 428x426) Image search: [Google]
1460574248427.jpg
104 KB, 428x426
>>801903
You fuckin soft cunt good riddence

Shit here aint so bad just gotta find the right shit to eat in the scrub
>>
A girl I know almost died after eating that fruit in the picture while onn holiday in Cyprus.

They sell those at the beach over there. Apparently she and her friends ate too many of them and the seeds caused a blockage in their intestines. All of them ended up in hospital.
>>
>>801903
>I don't here in criminal island because every fucking thing kills ya.
congrats on winning dumbest post of the day
>>
Ive been harvesting pine resin for years if you have any questions. I use it for surfwax, sealers, and as a foot covering when innawoods
>>
>>802766
Been looking into pine resin also. I don't know dick about the different pines and theres fir trees dotted arouns here which i assume works just as well.

I mainly wanted to distille my own turpentine and maybe try to work tge resin into a useable wood finish like a lacquer
>>
>>802840
not sure about firs, but I have a ton of pine and spruces that I harvest from. What I do is early in the year I go around and put vertical gashes in the trunks and cut off any low limbs. Over the summer the trees bleed at those spots and after winter is over each gash has a solid golfball-sized chunk of resin hanging from it.

Once I have a bucket of chunks I dissolve it in acetone and run it through a fine strainer to get the bugs and dirt out. then I pour the acetone/resin blend into a baking pan and let the acetone evaporate, leaving a beautiful amber resin.

If you need to heat the resin, Like I do when I mix it with beeswax, you want to heat it in a container in boiling water, if you heat it on a stove directly you can ruin the resin and lose the tackyness
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.