[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OUT vehicle forester or element
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
I'm wanting a car for camping/road trips to sleep in the back and have room for some gear. What do u recommend? I'm thinking an early 2000's Subaru Forester or a Honda Element. Looking to spend about 6k tops.
What do u recommend, any pros vs cons, anyone have these vehicles n use for this reason, any better vehicles?
>>
Get a first edition 4runner
>>
The Subaru will be more capable, especially if you get one of the older, lighter ones not like the one you have pictured. The Honda has more headroom though. I've heard a variety of things about the Element, both that it's a nice, competent vehicle and that it's a dismal turd, but nobody has said it's total garbage. How much offroading are you planning on doing?
>>
>>798520
I do not plan to do any off roading. Live in the city and wanna be able to take spontaneous trips and sleep in the back for extended trips to mountains and national parks. Also want something I don't have to worry about keeping clean and will have room. I'm leaning toward element for these reasons but considering forester for the sake that's it's a trusted brand and seen as an outdoorsman brand.
>>
>>798523
If it will never leave the pavement at all the Element might be better cause it's pretty roomy. I never tried to sleep in one though, it might be one of those "seems great until you try it" deals. Subaru usually gives you better tech for the money but this starts to get into /o/ territory.
>>
>>798530
Thanks for the responses, never really looking for tech. Mainly thinking of this cuz I totaled my car in February, been car free bicycle only since then, I have a 5500 check to buy a new car, I may have a two week break between jobs and I wanna be able to drive from midwest to a few national parks and sites in Colorado Wyoming Montana area sleeping at national/state parks and camping in the back.
Also if like this for future as well for weekend trips doing similar things.
Looking for good mpg as well will never off road or tow much.
>>
Forester if you want to ever do any off-roading ever. Ranger with a camper shell if you want every option, including sleeping in it.
>>
>>798905
Ranger or most any pickup would be the best option
>>
>>798905
>Ranger with a camper shell if you want every option, including sleeping in it.
Came here to say this.

Small pickup. Ranger, dakota, tacoma, etc.

About teh same mileage as element/forester, just more useful.
Unless you need to cart around 4+ people. For you and a friend, go for the pickup.
>>
File: P60618-083952.jpg (2 MB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
P60618-083952.jpg
2 MB, 1632x1224
rate my car, pic from this weekend
>>
>>799040
DominoesDeliveryGuy/10
>>
>>798505
Forester. My gf was having this same dilemma, went with the forester at my suggestion and never looked back. Thing has surprisingly good ground clearance, pulle a double axle uhaul from oregon to michigan with no issues, pulled a jacked up explorer out of a ditch in the snow up on mount hood (much to the chagrin of the owner) made it miles down a goddamn snowmobile trail in northern wisconsin before I realized where the fuck I was and then turned around on said trail without getting stuck, have slept in back without issue, gets decent gas mileage, and once you have your inevitable head gasket failure, and swap it out for an aftermarket one, will go 300k plus. I was of the opinion that subarus were for lesbians and idiots until I spent a couple years with one. They're the real fucking deal.

Obviously they ain't a truck but I can't see a single situation where an element is a better idea.

Also I wouldn't listen to the "older, lighter" guy above me. Hers is a 2010 and is miles comfier and in my opinion better than the earlier models.
>>
>>798505
Oh and it has one of the best things I've ever seen from a car manufacturer almost ever.

There are little pop-out holes in the front and rear plastic bumpers. If you by the spare tire, there's a hefty eye bolt. Those holes allow access to a threaded hole directly into the frame. Need to tow someone, get towed, get pulled out? Screw in your eye bolt and you're good. I don't know why no one does this but it's pure genius.
>>
>>799792
*look by the spare tire
>>
File: clean001.jpg (119 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
clean001.jpg
119 KB, 800x600
I'd get a 4door midsize truck and get a bed cover

Store your gear in the backseat and put a bedroll/other gear in the bed

gmc canyon, dodge dakota, ford ranger, chevy colorado if you can find an older one for your price range
>>
>>798505
neither
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.