[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guns wile /out/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: Screenshot_2016-06-17-19-57-00.png (435 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-17-19-57-00.png
435 KB, 1080x1920
So my GF thinks bringing guns /out/ is a bad idea. She is native to the PNW. I am from the south, it is about 50/50 that I bring a gun to the woods in the south. You can shoot anywhere for fun and nobody is going to miss a squirrel down south. Now I moved to the PNW.

I saw a fucking mountain lion on my first good hike. I am now trying to explain to my GF that we live in the west and we absolutely need guns for these woods because a cougar will fuck your shit up badly and so will bears. She says shes lived here her entire life and has never needed a gun when going to the woods. I just keep telling her you have a gun for situations you wish to avoid, and that I wish to avoid being mauled to death by a lion.

Am I a gun nut? Is she unaware of the dangers?

I never had a probem going to the woods in the south without a gun, there is not much more beyond a coyote here. Which, I have been attacked by 3 coyotes before and kicked them into oblivion. I just think because you have grizzly bears and lions a gun would be a good goddamned idea.
>>
>>798474
>cougar
>bears
are nothing to be afraid of
you are more of a scared little girl than your gf
does she peg you regularly?
>>
>>798474
Do you even need to ask this? Yes take a fucking gun. When you get attacked by a bear and kill it she will see why. Women...

Tell the story about the yotes bro
>>
File: sometimes_they_win.jpg (132 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sometimes_they_win.jpg
132 KB, 500x500
>>798474
You don't need a gun for cougars and bears.

The reason you want one is that you are scared. Accept it, move on.
>>
>>798517
I really don't understand how someone isn't "scared" of bears

Aren't we supposed to be afraid of bears? Like from the very beginning, cavemen learned that bears will kill you. Not wanting something to kill you is a pretty basic thing. You say "you're scared" and "accept it and move on" like you're smarter and above mere mortal feelings like that. Shit, lots of people carry small guns into the woods just to shoot them with the knowledge it'd probably be ineffectual against a bear. Are they allowed into the Fearless Liberal club too?
>>
>>798474
>cougar will fuck your shit up badly

You are more likely to choke on your cheerios or slip in the shower you pussy.

Don't get me wrong. Guns are fun as hell and I hunt and own guns, but they are in no way a practical safety necessity for /out/ unless you're going into a very remote and particularly thick inhabited grizzly territory.
>>
>>798529
Statistics can't tell you everything. I've spent a lot of time in the woods with no gun but I wouldn't ever denigrate someone for choosing to go armed. This is almost like calling people names for wearing a helmet on a motorcycle, you can be a big tough peckerwood and landing on your face at 60mph will do the same thing to you that it will to a bespectacled femboi. A bear's teeth are equally nondiscriminatory.

There are two directions you can go with the I don't need a gun shit, either you're confident you won't encounter an aggressive animal, or you believe you would be able to fight it off with your boyscout SAK. Back in NY I didn't want to pay for a pistol license cause I didn't see it necessary for day hikes when there are just blackies and coy dogs around and cats are rare. My friend's uncle was hiking deeper in those same woods, unarmed, and got attacked by a cougar. He went and bought a big wheel gun for his hikes right after he left the hospital.

Choosing not to carry a weapon doesn't make you macho. It's your decision based on the threats you may face and how you believe you should handle them.
>>
>>798529
If they are so harmless, why is the DNR closing down running trails around Colorado Springs and Fountain because mountain lion sightings?
>>
OP here. I am a firefighter and have also been a woodsman for 20 years. It isn't about being afraid. I'd rather not get my girlfriend eaten, she doesn't go to the forest, she thinks city parks are forest. I think she just doesn't see the risk.

Also, statistics are really funny to rely on when you're being eaten
>>
OP again, it is my understanding of physics that leads me to believe a cougar or a bear can give you a mortal injury with one strike

Anybody that wants to engage in melee or hand to hand with those things, feel free. Jackasses.
>>
Only americans are so cucked they feel the need to take firearms in the woods outside of hunting seasons.
>>
>>798558
Do you wear a helmet and body armor when you walk to the corner store? I think you just don't see the risk.
>>
>>798563
we're just allowed to without much red tape unlike a lot of other places, and we have some big, dangerous animals

I'm not super familar with Austrailian fauna but it seems like they have a lot of small dangerous animals. Guns probably don't help you not step on something poisonous. Most of the bears have been shot in Europe. If you wanted to trek deep into polar bear country or somewhere in Africa you might have different requirements.
>>
dump your girlfriend. she sounds like a daft cunt. there's enough decent girls to go around not to waste your time on retards.
>>
File: 1424532084206.png (96 KB, 778x778) Image search: [Google]
1424532084206.png
96 KB, 778x778
take a gun and bearspray and you'll be fine OP
don't mind my fellow yuropoors who are jealous that you can take guns innawoods, lucky fuck
>>
>>798547
>There are two directions you can go with the I don't need a gun shit, either you're confident you won't encounter an aggressive animal, or you believe you would be able to fight it off with your boyscout SAK.
Or the third option, take reasonable precautions and bring bear spray.

>I think she just doesn't see the risk.
If she doesn't keep her food away from her campsite and know what to do if she accidently walks up on a bear, that's just stupid. I don't think "OMG we need to bring gunzz!!!" is the correct way to address that, though.
>>
>>798554
someone could look up the statisics but I've read the middleweight felines like cougars and leopards tend to give you a good scratching rather than kill you
>>
>>798563

this, even here in Canada i stay on Crown land in the middle of nowhere where you can legally fire off guns and i only bring an air rifle thats used to shoot cans and shit 99% of the time. if you see a bear or something dont fuck with it and half the time it wont fuck with you. stuff like Coyotes you just pepper spray them in the eyes, you dont have to shoot everything
>>
Your girlfriend sounds like a fucking idiot

Atleast carry bear spray damn
>>
>>798578
What's funny is I don't own a gun right now, the places down by me in FL where you can go camp don't have anything but gators and invasive pythons to worry about and again it's not worth the expense to me at the moment. It'd be nice to pop the snakes that don't belong here though. I hope that's allowed. And I would carry spray over a firearm in bear country. I just believe that people should be free to carry the weapons they feel are necessary based on their specific circumstances.

I hope not, but one of you noncarriers might have a day you sure wish you'd brought a gun.
>>
>>798580
>99% of the time it wont fuck with you
FTFY
>>
>>798558
Carrying a gun is inconvenient and mostly unnecessary. I would definitely not take hiking or backpacking for the weight factor. But whatever floats your boat. Guns are fun for sure.
>>
>>798580
>>798589

Overconfidence is an issue and may lead to more attacks since armed people may tend to approach dangerous fauna more boldy. Not behaving irresponsibly like that is the armed person's job.

Ideally carry both spray and a firearm, and follow a procedure. Try to scare off or get away from the animal, use the spray if it kept stalking or became more aggressive, use the gun if the spray didn't work or it became extremely aggressive. My opinion.
>>
>>798547
>wearing a helmet on a motorcycle

Shit example.

Motorcycle riding is a risky activity. Collisions are common and helmets are essential to survival.

Violent wildlife encounters are extremely rare.

This discussion has nothing to do with macho and everything to do with risk assessment and common sense.

Why carry a gun when a can of bear spray will do?
Do you install a roll cage and wear a helmet in your car in addition to wearing a seatbelt?

For me, a cost/benefit analysis would suggest that the additional safety granted is overshadowed by the weight and cost of a gun and ammo.
>>
ITT a bunch of NEETs who have never been out, or even fired a gun, argue why guns are pointless to carry out.

You bring a firearm to have and not need, rather than need and not have.

Having a gun with you if your lost can save your life. Wether its hunting, signaling, or self defense.

Fuck every cuck in this thread that says otherwise.
>>
>>798598
I said it wasn't perfect. It's similar. Insulting someone based on their decision to take a safety precaution and implying they're not a tough guy like you, when it's based on something fallacious. No matter how tough you are you can't crash a bike without gear and not get hurt. No matter how tough you are you can't fight a bear.
>>
>>798525
Its a bear, take this from a ex trapper seen them dealt with them and shot many of them for protection. You get use to bears. They are strong they are mean but secretly they are pussies.
>>
is it needed op? No is it wanted? Yes. All up to you. I myself dont personally carry one anymore out in the bush as I never needed them lately. (Ex trapper) Bears and cougars are the least of my worries wolves are the thing to be afraid of because those you wont see coming.
>>
>>798608
Sure. I have encountered a blackie at a long comfortable distance once and it was rocketing up the hill away from me, fleeing before I even saw it.

I just believe people should be able to equip themselves as they see fit, and acting like you're some kind of badass because you choose not to go armed is stupid.
>>
File: weasel_eating_calzone.jpg (53 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
weasel_eating_calzone.jpg
53 KB, 437x437
>>798588
>I just believe that people should be free to carry the weapons they feel are necessary based on their specific circumstances.
That's fine, I agree with that.

>I hope not, but one of you noncarriers might have a day you sure wish you'd brought a gun.
I gaurentee I won't. Lets meet up in the afterlife to confirm.
>>
File: 1465876780646.jpg (77 KB, 960x639) Image search: [Google]
1465876780646.jpg
77 KB, 960x639
>>798474
I live in the PNW, and have never taken a gun into the woods if I'm going on a hike. There is no need to bring a gun into the woods for protection here. Bears are pussies, and as long as you hike during the day time, you probably won't see any cougars. The only time I bring a gun /out/ is when I'm going hunting. That and bring a handgun if you are going /out/ to where there is a moose population. Moose will fuck you up.
>>
>>798525
Because they're not scary. Bears wont fuck your shit up unless you get between a mother and her cubs. When I was a kid, I would see bears about 15ft from my driveway when I was walking home from school. All I needed to do was keep my distance, or scare it off by throwing rocks at it. If you're really that much of a pussy, then get some bearspray.
>>
>>798610
>youll see a cougar coming but not a wolf

You fucking lying bastard
>>
>>798636
I've seen cougars shot many of them. Not hard to spot out. Wolves you may see 1 but when you finally spot that 1 its to late your circled. Take that from a guy who shot 8 wolves in 1 night protecting his moose from a hunt.
>>
>>798613 Because I feel safe enough with my bear spray and my knowledge of how these animals act and how to prevent interacting with them? Often I hear people saying bears are these blood hungry animal meanwhile thats not true. Walk a bear bell walk with a can of bear spray and know how to use it and you will be fine. Never once did I say I was a badass plus me not wanting to carry a shotgun with me makes me stupid. Okay. 95% average in school but okay.
>>
85%* goddamn small buttons on my phone.
>>
>>798666
Still lying. Cougars are in the trees.
>>
Bear spray works really well on the four legged predators. Firearms on the two legged ones. Explain very slowly that humans do some disgustingly cruel stuff to other humans just because they can. A firearm can make all the difference of walking away or being carried away from a situation.
>>
THE MORE TIMES YOU DON'T ENCOUNTER A BEAR OR COUGAR IN THE WOODS MEANS THE MORE LIKELY YOU WILL BE TO ENCOUNTER THEM NEXT TIME.

KEEP THAT IN MIND WHEN YOU SAY THAT YOU'VE NEVER DEALT WITH ONE
>>
>>798569
What is Canada, Mr. Trebek?
>>
>>798714
k, but once you do you won't need a gun anyways so what is it you are trying to get at here?
>>
>>798503
This OP, I wanna here about you kicking the yotes to oblivion
>>
>>798759
Its not a very interesting story. Was walking through a field. Heard breathing and running and got tackled by one of them. It was winter and I was drunk. I scramble to get up and I shake this bastard off me and there was all three of then right next to me. I kicked the fuck out of the closest one and the other two attacked. One kick to each with my steel toed boots was enough to end the fighting spirit of all of them. They ran off as I cursed and grabbed my nuts. Coyotes are total pussies and almost never attack people my size and they were wrong to do so. Only had a few scrapes. Muay thai + 200 lb man + steel toe boots beats coyote every time.
>>
>>798474

it's not an issue. you just need to be a faster runner than your girlfriend.
>>
>>798474

Cougars are giant pussy cats, literally. You just have to stand your ground and make yourself bigger, often times the same with blackbears. The only time either will try to fight back is if you're near cubs / home. Don't be sprookied by the kitties and teddies.

That said I always bring a gun with me. Always.
>>
File: 1466490573054.jpg (27 KB, 526x357) Image search: [Google]
1466490573054.jpg
27 KB, 526x357
>>798517
This, it is more important you have a proper proven defense and learn how to use it properly. That is Bear Spray.
>>
>>798563
>t. /out/ yuro with shitty """wilderness""" and nogunz
>>
>>798886
We are in grizzly land. I grew up with black bears and have zero fear of them. Grizzlies though. I want a god damned gun on me.
>>
>>798616
The only way you can be sure of that is if you lock yourself in a padded room. If you venture outside at all, you absolutely cannot give a guarantee that you'll never wish you had a gun on you, be it four legged animals or two.
>>
>>798904
Nah, I'm quite certain. Not sure what kind of fearful life you'd have to lead to think carrying around a gun was necessary for the average citizen.

I live in murrica, I'm quite happy people are allowed to carry guns and think that's fine, but in my life they will never be a necessity. Just fun.
>>
>>798911
I guess I scooted a little too close to shitposting here. No, I can't be 100% certain I won't encounter a situation where a gun would have improved things for me. I can admit that.

But my real point is that I don't know what that changes, should I carry a gun around most of the time just because there's some miniscule chance I might be able to use it for some good purpose?

I mean if you want to that's fine, guns are pretty cool. But its not a necessity, and people aren't crazy if they don't see the point of it.
>>
>>798899
You mean like how Canada is bigger than the US and they aren't gun cucked like you? Leave the europoors alone they have all of Russia to play in next door.
>>
>>798474
>Is she unaware of the dangers?
The most dangerous part of any outing is the drive to the trailhead. Operating a motor vehicle is the most hazardous thing we do. Statistically, the wild animal that kills the most people in the world is the mosquito; malaria and all that stuff.

I have encountered bears, wolves, rattlesnakes, wolverines, and coyotes, and have never felt threatened. We get Moose in our back yard, and those can be more unpredictable than bears. You just make sure you don't surprise them. There was a cow Moose and her two calves hanging out one winter. Now the young ones are grown up and they come through every once in a while.

Probably the only sketchy wild-animal encounters I've had is with human-acclimated bears in Yosemite National Park. I recall them being curious of me and my group at the time, wanting a hand-out or whatever, but just make yourself big and yell, and they run off. Where I live now, there are no National Parks, so there is a bear hunting season, and the few times I have encountered them, they run off when they see me. About the only time to worry is in springtime, when sow bears will defend their young. The trick is to make a little noise, hang a bell on your pack, and they'll run off before you ever see them. I have never had a problem in decades of outdoor trips.

Alaska is probably a different story, however. Never been there, but way out in the woods I hear it is wise to carry a shotgun loaded with slugs or a Ruger Alaskan chambered for .454 Casull. The bears up there have a more bad-ass reputation. In the lower 48, outside of the "protected" National Parks, you don't really need a firearm unless you are hunting. Just make sure to fasten your seatbelt when you drive to the trailhead.
>>
>>798728
A place where I would find it advisable to bring a gun...
>>
>>798911
Here we go again with the "you're just a scared pussy, not a TOUGH GUY like me" shit. Stop it. Choosing to carry a weapon is and should, be an individual choice based on what they know about the specific place they're going. Is it outside the realm of possibility for you to think of a scenario where there's an area of woods that you think is safe, but maybe someone else got stalked by a cougar there once so they bring a weapon when they go?

I have gone for long night hikes completely unarmed and not been scared. I knew those woods since childhood and it was winter, so I felt very comfortable. If hypothetically I'd had a friend with me and they wanted to bring a gun I wouldn't sit there going DUH HUH PUSSY. You never know 100% nothing will happen.
>>
>>798714
that's not how probability works
see you at the roulette tables
>>
>>798558
Honestly, I keep a gun for people, not animals, innawoods
>>
>>798680
I see the cougars as they stand out here. (Not many of them here anyway)
>>
>>799423
No they dont
>>
>>799424 then you need to learn to see more and learn to spot things out. When I was younger I was a trapper so normally throughout the spring-fall we would try to see all the different animals to make sure the stock was fine. My area (Yukon) is just trees, snow and some bush (on my property) I see them just like bears. Once you've gotten use to seeing lynx that blend in very well you can spot cougars and animals alike. Trapper for 8, Bow hunter for 9 and Rifle hunter for 16.
>>
File: how_to_not_shitpost.jpg (33 KB, 545x353) Image search: [Google]
how_to_not_shitpost.jpg
33 KB, 545x353
>>799147
Yeah I shitposted a bit to much there, sorry.
>>
>>799429
No. It isn't a learning curve.
>>
>>798559
Just slowly back awaY and don't make eye contact. If it gets closer fucking spray it with bear spray. Don't be an idiot and assume people would just fist fight a bear you scrub
>>
>>799493
OP here. This is for an attack. NOT the seconds before an attack.
>>
>>799483 To each their own. Personally I find spotting animals easy. They tend to make alot of noise. Stay quite and you can hear everything.
>>
>>799651
That isn't how it works. You don't know when you haven't seen an animal you literal liar.
>>
>>798618
will a handgun drop a moose?
actually curious for info
>>
File: tkzw2vo.gif (44 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
tkzw2vo.gif
44 KB, 500x333
>>798600
>Insulting someone based on their decision to take a safety precaution
>>
I am thinking about getting a gun but that's because I don't trust people not because of animals... probably won't because I'm too broke right now but whatever.

You're more likely to get attacked by a person than a bear or whatever innawoods if you're not a dumbass and take preventative measure like bear bagging your food. If someone is having repeat encounters with bears it's because their not doing shit properly and keeping their food in their tent and getting angry when the bear starts clawing through it not realizing you're inside, but instead of learning from their mistakes they go out and buy guns because they think the bears are out to get them.

Also people who are scared of cougars are stupid, literally more people have been killed by lightening strikes than cougar attacks and you don't see them bringing lightening rods in their packs. If you're that special kind of stupid who bought a gun because you're scared of cougar attacks you're probably more likely to accidentally shoot yourself with it than actually being attacked by a cougar.
>>
>>799751
Mountain Lion population - 20,000-40,000
Attacks per year - 9

Lightning Strikes - 44 times per second
People hit by lightning - 50 fatalities with 10%-30% mortality rate AKA 166-500 people struck per year

Lightning death - 1 in 716,727 chance

Cougar death 1 in 2,222-4,444 chance

You fucking plebian
>>
>>799766
>Hello I'm retarded and don't know how statistics work

Only 20 people have ever died from cougar attacks, since like the 1800s. 24,000 people die from lightening strikes every year. You better start packing a lightening rod bitch.
>>
>>799777
Only twenty people have ever died from a cougar attack.

Surely the successful cougars who kill lone people always report their kills to the proper authorities.
>>
>>799777
20 people is a metric fuckton when compared to the trillions of lightning strikes that have happened since the 1800s

Dumbfuck

Occurances vs. Population is VERY significant for risk assessment considering you ENTER a cougar territory and not lightning territory.

Fuck man
>>
>>799123

Northern Ontario here. Pretty much every experienced outdoorsmen (including guys who have been hunting/trapping up here since the 50s, including natives who have literally been raised in the wild) I've ever met won't go into the bush for long periods of time without a gun. Even if the odds of running into a hostile animal are low they aren't zero, and it's better to be safe than sorry. Even if bear spray is generally better to fend them off than a gun it can still fail due to wind, rain, or some malfunction with the can, a gun makes a handy backup. In addition guns can be used to hunt food or signal for help if you get lost, and can also be used to scare most animals off without having to even spray them.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.