[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brit Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10
File: CIC National-Trails.jpg (230 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
CIC National-Trails.jpg
230 KB, 600x450
Brit thread and general?
What trails are your favourite?
Any trails you are planning to go on?
Any sc/out/s near each other?
Good equipment for out shit weather.
>>
File: southdowns.jpg (277 KB, 1500x850) Image search: [Google]
southdowns.jpg
277 KB, 1500x850
Am I the only Sussexfag here?

swanndri bushshirt is GOAT for shit weather.
not my picture
>>
Glasgow here. Gotta love the Trossachs for accessibility.
>>
File: Painswick_Beacon_View2.jpg (291 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Painswick_Beacon_View2.jpg
291 KB, 1600x1200
Op here. From South Gloucestershire, walked most the Frome Valley Walkway, its the only decent route there is. Most of the landscape is shitty flat fields filled with cow shite.
I have to travel outside the region to get any good walks.
>>
I live in Leicester so the Peak District is pretty much next door, makes for some awesome walking daytrips. Pic related, went to the Roaches last weekend but not enough time to do much scrambling. Lake District also not too far, some great walks there round Windermere.

>>798428
Girlfriend is from Sussex, is there anything round there at all apart from toffs and trees?
>>
>>798426
In just 13 days from now my girlfriend and I will board a flight to Glasgow. We will be walking the "Scottish National Tral" from there and north, seeing how far we can get until we're flying home to Denmark again in the beginning of August.
If anyone here has experiences from that trail I'd love to read about it!
>>
I live in Bath, Somerset. Where the fuck can i go?
>>
>>798500
You got a car?
>>
>>798500
Get a bus up to Chipping Sodbury, then you can do the Frome Valley. I live around there and its a decent walk once you get way from the stench of Yate.
>>
>>798507
>Chipping Sodbury
I giggle whenever I hear that name, lel
>>
>>798511
oy m8 wot u sain bout my fukin town i will have ya 4 dat.
Anyway, Chipping Sodbury is a really nice little town, shame its next to the shitfest that is called Yate.
>>
>>798500
Come over to Chippenham and have a little stroll with me through the fields ;)
>>
File: 16.jpg (275 KB, 822x462) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
275 KB, 822x462
I'm planning on doing the entire South West Coastal Path next year some time. Although I'm trying to find someone who'd actually want to do it with me.
>>
>>798591
I was planning that aswell, well going from Lands end and east (im aiming for the length of the south coast). I was planning summer time next year when I have gear and some more experience.
>>
>>798591
>>798593
Although I could do the SW coast path, because it seems abit more do-able in the time frame I have.
>>
>>798432
Ayrshire up in this, its mad that they're only an hour and a half away. You been to the Loch Sloy dam?
>>
File: WP_20160621_009.jpg (768 KB, 1632x916) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160621_009.jpg
768 KB, 1632x916
Halifax, W Yorkshire reporting.

went to mill bank woods trail today (pic related), good 14+ miles walked but worth it.
>>
>>798591
Lions have stupid ears
>>
>>798658
>>
File: 18.jpg (97 KB, 634x796) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
97 KB, 634x796
>>798658
Say that again, bitch!
>>
>>798502
no car
>>798507
can you camp in the frome valley?
>>798583
i would m8 im desperate to get out
>>
>>798426
Aberdeenfag here, going for a stroll in the Cairngorms this weekend hopefully.
>>
>>798672
Aslong as you hide your camp site, you can camp anywhere. There are hardly any camp sites that I can find around this area, you will either have to camp at a mates, or camp on the sly.
>>
>>798426
Threads like these used to be a regular thing, they can be pretty good.
Lakes here. Good weather recently, camped at high cup nick at the weekend and hopefully somewhere else on Friday.
>>
Any midlands fags here? I'm in northampton and am willing to travel to go somewhere cool.

Went to an /o/ meet recently and an /out/ meet is something i can see happening.
>>
>>798774
Leicester here. Where do you usually go?
>>
A brit sc/out/ meetup would be great, maybe the forest of Dean, or the lake district.
>>
>>799127
salcey forest is very close to me for day walks. Multi day stuff i usually travel for. did an east cost path from cromer to hunstanton over night a month back with a friend. went to wales last summer for a week.

how about you?
>>
>>799549
That's cool, I haven't really done many multi-day trips before (not a big fan of camping). There's also not much by the way of wilderness near here so we go up to the peaks for day trips.
>>
>>799549
northampton has the grand union next door so have done alot of canal walks/multi day things.

Will make a thread during peak time tomorrow about orginising a brit meet
>>
>>799552
i was going to say the peaks is a nice central location, could organise a brit meet there
>>
>>799555
I'm sure a weekend camp or walk there would be pretty fun, its about a 4 hour train journey from me, not too bad.
>>
>>799580
well if the meet did happen i'd be more then happy to come get you if you are in leicester
im only northampton.

ill start a tread tomorrow night and post some ideas, see what sticks
>>
File: 1460749229219.jpg (744 KB, 1490x1110) Image search: [Google]
1460749229219.jpg
744 KB, 1490x1110
>>798480
Sussex has the downs, which are absolutely great. Quite large forests and heathland on the downs, plenty of beautiful views. Also has hot weather and the sea. The average landscape in West Sussex (where I do most of my outdooring) is forested hills, with cleared patches for grazing sheep, and less forested river valley lowlands. I love it. But as you said, Lots of toffs and trees.
>>
File: 88.gif (10 KB, 460x368) Image search: [Google]
88.gif
10 KB, 460x368
>>798426
Any love?

I get out along the coastal path as much as I can, and fish up the coast...I plink a bit with a slingshot and take birds home in season. Not much in the way of woodland (naff all really) but plenty of other stuff to do ( try and get around all the standing stones, burial chambers, neolithic sites, roman ruins ...it'll take you months!)

It's a nice place to live but has been shitted up a lot now by camerafags popping up everywhere. Since you can buy a pretty decent camera now for a few hundred there are people here now who will take pictures of everything from a bent pine needle to a squashed Mars bar.

Also gets massively shitted up in the summer by tourists.
>>
>>798426
Hey guys. I'm going to be backpacking around the UK soon. I lived there for a few years when I was younger and always wanted to go back.
Are there any absolute must-do trails or areas? I'll be there for about 2 months.
>>
>>799596
Sounds cool man, I'll look out for the thread.

>>799597
I guess I've never really explored the downs properly, are there any particular areas you'd recommend for beauty spots?

>>799691
You've gotta do the Peak and Lake Districts. Snowdonia and Cairngorms for big hills. Our /out/ culture is very different to the States', if you want to do a multi-day treck through wilderness and camp wherever you want, go to the Highlands.
>>
Bumping for our completely fucked country
>>
>>800507
You did the right thing, fuck EU.
Now you are in charge of your own future, get rid of arab money and make Britain great again.
>>
>>800511

This financial assessment, brought to you by /pol/

>>800507

You'll probably be fine. You have a strong economy and the EU isn't going to go out of it's way to fuck over trade with one of the few stable economies in the world.
>>
What's a good place to go innawoods in the upcoming civil war led by Corbyn and his communist supporters?
>>
Dumb question

Have only done day hikes like Snowdon myself, would it be stupid to randomly go on a 10 day walk across the Alps straight off the bat
>>
>>798426
fml I'm moving to Rugby with work next month literally no place that's properly /out/ its some farmers fields at best. Have to live there for a year, any suggestions? I'm from the Lakes so its gonna suck.
>>
>>801272
Yep.

>>801286
You got a car? Google is your friend on this one.
>>
>>801299
Why? What kind of preparation would I need to do? I think I'm reasonably fit
>>
>>801310
Depends. When are you going? Who are you going with? Are you camping every night?
>>
>>801358
August, just by myself
A mixture of camping and hotels/lodges
>>
>>801361
That's a seriously big jump and I really couldn't recommend it. You should at least do some two/three-day hikes in the Highlands first, with a friend if you haven't done it before.
>>
>>801370
What's the worst that could happen?
>>
>>801372
The worst? You get lost, fall and break your leg, have no way of contacting anyone and die of exposure.
>>
>>801392
Oh, that's fine
The Alps are relatively packed and I'll bring a map/GPS
>>
>>801395
Why did you ask the question if you were just going to ignore someone giving you an honest answer?
>>
>>801405
Because the scenario is an unlikely situation, and one which I can avoid anyway
>>
>>801416
You asked me for the worst. The worst is that you die. There are many ways that can happen. Going on a ten-day hike through the Alps (which are not 'packed', by the way) alone without any experience whatsoever is a really dumb idea. You seem reckless and impulsive which suggests you'd be more likely to hurt yourself.
>>
>>801424
I guess you're right, I'll try something smaller first
>>
>>801299
>You got a car? Google is your friend on this one.
Nope not yet hopefully get a company one by the end of the year. Until then I guess I'll have to wait till I have a few days off to do stuff and walk around some fields.
>>
>>798500
go to the east side of Bath, there are lots of walks around there, like the walk all the way from Batheaston out along to Box up to the quarry which has a nice view back down along the Box valley, or you can follow the bridleway from Batheaston up onto the top of the hill where there's a wooded bridle path and a big green space. Or take the path from Batheaston up to Bathford and if you can find it there's a path leading from the estate up into the Area of Special Scientific Interest (protected woodland) and that path takes you up to a "folly" and from there out onto the hill with views out over Wiltshire all the way to the Salisbury plain. There are also footpaths along the river from Bath to Batheaston, and a nice walk through Larkhall and up across Bailbrook, where there are horses, a lot of trees and bird life with excellent views, I recommend that one. Also from Bailbrook there are footpaths leading up the valley.

Also there's obvious ones like following the canal from Widcombe in Bath all the way up to Batheaston, or start at Batheaston and walk along the canal where it turns to the south - along that route there's Claverton Weir where there's a swimming place, although it's mildly dangerous and people have died there. Then if you continue along that canal path you end up on the Collier's Way http://www.colliersway.co.uk/Areas_covered.php which you can take all the way to Frome if you're up to the walk - however some of the Collier's Way is on a small road with no pavement or even grass verge and poor visibility so it's risky.

Less obvious is heading up from Widcombe and making your way into the maze of lanes and backroads which lead up to Prior Park, and then there's also some kind of large open plain of with a lot of trees up above Bathwick (the other side of it from the river).

Alternatively in the other direction there's taking the Bath/Bristol cycle path on the old railway, that might be risky in terms of anti-social people though.
>>
>>798500
If you head up to Solsbury Hill in Batheaston, there is a whole maze of footpaths which are linked to Solsbury Hill and they'll take you all around some very varied, hilly landscape with a lot of interesting features.
>>
>>798436
BS37 checking in. Did the Frome valley walk last weekend, a bit wet but a good walk
>>
>>798512
Chipping sodbury also, do I know you?
>>
>>802360
Shit man, add me on snapchat: Dealfisher
Did you go to Chipping Sodbury Secondary School, YIA or Brimsham?
>>
>>798673
Same here, going in a couple weeks. I've never done a proper /out/ trip before, what are your plans? I need a rough idea of what to do. Was thinking about bussing into Ballater and just hiking a few miles into the nearby woods.
>>
carved my first try stick today, shit's quite difficult
>>
>>802362
Sodbury school. Will add you on Snapchat but I warn you I don't use it much
>>
>>799527
Yeah I'd be in 4 a meet up
>>
>>802635
I dont use it often eather but it can be better than talking on here sometimes
>>
>>802637
Check the catalogue, we've got a meetup thread going at the moment.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.