[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone canoe? Hi. This is my very first time on /out/ so forgive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: Viking16p1.jpg (21 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
Viking16p1.jpg
21 KB, 350x263
Anyone canoe?

Hi. This is my very first time on /out/ so forgive me if canoeing is discussed a lot.

I just bought an old town saranac 146 tandem canoe last week and picked up a trolling motor the other day.

I went out on a decently large lake by myself on a pretty windy day for my first attempt at paddling solo. It was.. Well kind of scary. I had to paddle back against the wind for an hour to get back to where I parked.

My question is, do many people use trolling motors for canoes, without necessarily for fishing? I plan on fishing from my canoe for sure, I just didn't get the motor for fishing techniques or anything.. I did it to get me out of sticky situations like that lol.

I don't want to be paddling down a river and have the current be too much for me to get home.

Is a trolling motor with a good battery adequate for reliable passage back for when I plan an actual canoeing trip? I would paddle when i depart downstream to my destination and probably turn on the motor for the return trip.

Can a trolling motor take me upstream for a few hours to get me safely home?
>>
>>798360
I don't know about hooking a motor to a canoe, where would it mount? However, I do know that if you're going upstream it's easier if you ride the eddies near the shore, rather than fighting the current out in the middle.
>>
The short answer? Probably, yeah. Take a few practice runs to see how long a full battery charge lasts, though. My buddy's got a 50lb thrust trolling motor that only lasted about 2 - 3 hours on the lake in moderate weather. That was also on a 14 ft aluminum boat, though. Take it out on some practice runs and get familiar with it. That's about the only thing you can do.
>>
>>798360
Always launch so you start into the wind and can drift back if necessary.
>>
>>798360
>first attempt at paddling solo
Canoes are far easier to manage in windy conditions with a partner. Stop being such a loner.

>>798360
>I just didn't get the motor for fishing techniques or anything.. I did it to get me out of sticky situations like that lol.

You've got it backwards. Trolling motors are pretty much for fishing on canoes. To cover actual distance and maneuver well, you're far better off learning to paddle properly. Canoes are very fast and agile with some experience. Again, take a partner and it will be 1000% easier. Some canoes are geared for solo, but if you're going solo all the time you should have looked at a kayak.

>>798360
>Can a trolling motor take me upstream for a few hours to get me safely home?

In the rivers in my area, no a trolling motor wouldn't move you upstream whatsoever and even paddling upstream is brutally grueling. Most of my river trips are downstream where you can arrange to be picked up. Are you a wannabe voyageur?
>>
>>798532

No one was able to come out with me that day, but today I'm taking it out with a friend.

Guess I'll just have to use my motor for fishing
>>
File: canoe tm.jpg (159 KB, 1176x657) Image search: [Google]
canoe tm.jpg
159 KB, 1176x657
>>798360
>Is a trolling motor with a good battery adequate for reliable passage back for when I plan an actual canoeing trip? I would paddle when i depart downstream to my destination and probably turn on the motor for the return trip.
>Can a trolling motor take me upstream for a few hours to get me safely home?

A well maintained Group 31 battery and a 55lb thrust TM will take you at least 15 miles in wind <5mph. I have done 20.
>>
>>798669

So my 30lb thrust is no good and I should take it back then?

All the youtube videos of it looked fine.
>>
the canoe will do better in the wind if you make the front as heavy as possible. Idk about the motor, I've never used one on a canoe
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.