[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kukri
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 41mpLKeIsWL._SX355_.jpg (12 KB, 355x236) Image search: [Google]
41mpLKeIsWL._SX355_.jpg
12 KB, 355x236
Thinking about taking one with me on the app trail just got pic related. I'm hiking it durning the winter so the need for one will be greater
>>
This bait?
>>
>>798064
no not bait lol just wanted to start a convo on using kukris for survival
>>
I don't really understand much about knives or blades in general, but shouldn't a kukri work much like any other knife with the exception you have to wield it in a different way due to the curvature of the blade?

I'd expect people are going to call bait because they think it's unecessary and you're just trying too hard. Good luck OP
>>
>>798070
Don't respond to this thread seriously. Just let it die in shame.
>>
>>798070
>>798060
Seems easier than carrying a hatchet, machete and self defence weapon seperately and if you would otherwise be bringing those than a kukri would save weight.

Gurkas trust them so I would desu wa
>>
>>798074
You are not going to need a hatchet, machete, or self-defense weapon on the AT. This is just pointless extra weight that makes you look like a tryhard fool.
>>
>>798060
There is a knife general for a reason

sage
>>
>>798060
Do not buy kukris from that site. Unbalanced and too heavy. Buy one from tora blades or HI. They are the best.
>>
File: 2015-12-15 14.04.53.jpg (4 MB, 2075x3480) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-15 14.04.53.jpg
4 MB, 2075x3480
Kukris are fine. They don't chop as well as a hatchet nor do precision knifework as well as a knife, but they do both just fine if you want to cut down on weight.
I got mine from kukhurihouse. It's sturdy. But I'd rather have saved up and just gotten the Chiruwa Ang Khola from Himalayan imports.
>>
>>798120
Got mine from here. I think there are two different "khukuri houses"
http://www.khukuriblades.com/catalog/
>>
i like pic related because it has a hand guard. slipped up on a blade once when i was 8. ONCE.
>>
>>798060
pic related seems kinda... unnecessary. as in historial prop, with the blood spike, ect. Otherwise, there are worse choices. hatchet would be better. (greater utility value)
>>798079
and where is that?
>>798287
with a kukri?

Also, lugging around whatever gear that floats your boat is cool as long as you don't endanger or slow down your party. Almost everyone carries unnecessary and unpractical things.
>>
File: muchete.jpg (1 MB, 3070x1728) Image search: [Google]
muchete.jpg
1 MB, 3070x1728
>>798367
Forgot mah pic. something I routinely carry around while hiking, merely for kicks.
>>
>>798367
>with the blood spike, ect.
You talking about the notch at the base near the handle? If so that's a religious thing, functionally it works as a nice sharpening notch. The groove along the spine is simply decorative.
>>
>>798371
yes, I know the spike is for tradition (bleeding before battle, and so on). doesn't make it any more necessary while being kinda bother in many ways. There are modern alternatives.
The groove on the other hand, being merely decorative now, was orginally made in order to boost the strength of the blade. (most of longer blades actually have those)
>>
>>798371
>If so that's a religious thing
>>798375
>yes, I know the spike is for tradition

It's actually for the structure of the blade to make it more flexible and less likely to crack.

>a groove
>for strenghtening

Yeah I wouldn't expect a bunch of tryhards trying to justify a kukri to know what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
>>798386
>We shall make a cut of significant proportion in the most fragile part of the blade and there will be strenght.
How about you seek a few older kukris and you will see that the spike is actually a spike and the overblown hole has been added later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuller_(weapon)
not really useful or even used in kukris, but there is a reason for it.
>>
>>798375
It's not a fuller groove which is what you're thinking of, you can buy Kukris with fullers, they call them Chirras, it's just decorative, plenty of kukris are fairly engraved and if you look at most Asian knives/swords which are sold above the average subsistence tool they're heavily engraved/decorated/embellished - it's a cultural thing.
>>
>>798411
Heh, just had another look at OP's picture and sure enough it's got a chirra running down the center of the blade
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.