[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/, I'm a second year college student planning to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: baby-with-cap-and-gown-2.jpg (503 KB, 1300x1537) Image search: [Google]
baby-with-cap-and-gown-2.jpg
503 KB, 1300x1537
Hey /out/,

I'm a second year college student planning to graduate with a bachelor's degree of geology with a minor in physics.
What kind of jobs do you experienced /out/doorsmen have/know about, and are there any specific jobs you guys would recommend that allow me to be outside pretty often? I know this is a decision I need to make for myself and do some proper research, I just thought I'd ask here first.

We can turn this into an /out/ career thread general I guess
>>
bachelors in Geology: enjoy your hobby of Geology

most geologists have post graduate degrees
>>
>>797882
Yeah my professors have told us we will probably need to specialize eventually.

Do you know any specialized career paths (volcanology, hydrology, structural geology, whatever) that let me work outside at least a few times a month?
>>
>>797889
Pretty sure if you're trained in petroleum or mineral exploration you'll have plenty of opportunity to work outside in the arse end of nowhere.
>>
>>797893

Nah, most people in petroleum are stuck in offices in Houston. Very few actually get out to drilling sites regularly.

>>797889

Most of the work you are gonna do is be sifting through data in an office/lab. Environmental/hydrology might have the most propensity to be outside, but not truly "/out/". You are gonna mostly be working within civilization, making sure chucklefucks aren't dumping shit, making sure people building stuff aren't doing dumb shit, checking water quality, etc.

If you really want to spend a lot of time in the field, you probably want to pick a specialty you like, and go into academia. That will likely give you the most /out/ time.
>>
>>797882
>most geologists have post graduate degrees

Yeah and we're still largely unemployed.

t. B.S. Geology/Math M.S. Geophysics

PS Fuck industry.
>>
>>797893
Only petroleum geology related job sort of outdoors is mud logging lol. Everything else is typical office schlock.

OP if you actually want to be outdoors, honestly, research is the only way. Get a PhD in some shit that needs tons of outdoors fieldwork somewhere cool.
>>
>>798542
OP here,
I guess I will have to get a PhD after all.
Research sounds like not a bad time from what I've heard, so that sounds like the way to go.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.