[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Portable Kayaks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 19
File: l[1].jpg (223 KB, 1080x1620) Image search: [Google]
l[1].jpg
223 KB, 1080x1620
Ive been eyeing the Oru line of Kayaks and am leaning towards purchasing one even if the price is a little out of my range.

Is there another brand of portable kayaks I should be looking into, or should I just for over the money to get an attachment for my coupe?

Im just looking for a cost effective way to get into kayaking.
>>
Get a regular one. I hauled mine around on the roof of my saturn with a pool noodle and 2 ratchet straps

I would never trust a collapsible one in anything other than perfect calm conditions
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-16-18-07-47.png (266 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-16-18-07-47.png
266 KB, 480x320
> rec

Hobie Adventure Island.
>>
>>797758
i live a short walk to a bay/beach. its too long for a haul up and down but it would be beyond stupid to drive. plus storage in my apartment is an issue. I am hoping that we will see a price drop in the next six months (although doubtful) or an off brand knock off because it really would make the most sense for me to have.
>>
oryu kayaks suck. I demo'd one and it was basically a joke. theres been one on craigslist here for over year

portables you might want to look at inflatables or skin and frame yaks.
>>
Decided to get with a regular kayak with roof mounts since its more coast effective.

What sort of info/brands should I be looking into?
>>
>>797799
Or you could buy a boat, with a motor, and a trolling motor, and a trailer, and maybe even a trailer hitch. Cost effective, I think, was the term he used.
>>
>>797888
Get what you pay for. I would suggest combing craigslist of the nearest big city and get a used $800 kayak for a few hundred bucks, instead of a few hundred dollar kayak for the same price. Take into account what you're looking for, where you're looking to bring it and do some research as to the pros and cons of different hull styles.
>>
>>797758
>Portable Kayaks
is this a real thing

I thought all Kayaks and canoes were 'portable'
I mean, its not like stationary kayak permanently mounted in the shed is going to be more than a wall decoration.

Is this just some sales gimmick to create a another useless niche market ?
>>
File: IMG_20160620_145024.jpg (691 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160620_145024.jpg
691 KB, 2560x1920
>>797917
Yes it's a real thing. Pic related, my kayak.
>>
>>797917
my yak is 80something pounds. Not really considered portable but it has a wheel and I can pull it where I need to.
>>
>>797888
ocean kayak
wilderness systems
hobie
nucanoe
mailbu
>>
File: index.jpg (7 KB, 383x131) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7 KB, 383x131
>>797917
some fold up for travel.
some inflate

some dont..
>>
>>797801
There are diy carts on instructables that are made of pvc and cost maybe 30 bucks to make

These yaks are shit man get a regular one. I could literally run with mine on my shoulder it weighs about 30 lbs
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
105 KB, 1280x720
>>797917
Most rec boats that have everything you want for lengthy flatwater trips, or even basic day trips, can be 12+ feet long and weigh over 70 pounds, more when you add gear and accessories. If you dont own a truck with a long enough bed then lifting this heavy, awkwardly shaped object 4+ feet high to put it on top of your vehicle can be difficult to do with one person and not bump your vehicle. And then once you get it down, if your not parked right by your put it, transporting it there can be a pain too. The bulk of serious flatwater rec boaters ive met are mostly 40 year olds+ (The younger folk are mostly into whitewater) and can have problems lifting the kayak up ad putting it on their shoulder. This sport is perfect for older folk looking for a low impact way to explore interesting outdoor areas. This is why kayak dollies (small dolly that you can rest one end of the boat on so transport to and from your car is easy) have become so popular in the past 5 years.

So kayaks arent always that "portable". Your argument could also be used for stuff like ATVs. This is why OP and others look for something that isnt 80 lbs of plastic that takes up space in their garage and is a hassle to transport around. So inflatable kayaks fill in that niche. You can just stick it in your trunk and inflate it when you get there. I dont have a ton of experience with non-whitwater inflatable kayaks but I do know some older fellows who swear by them.

Source: Worked sales in a kayak shop for the past 5 years and have been WW paddling for half my life.
>>
Well already decided on a few yaks to choose form so I went ahead and bought a foam rack, since I only live a 2-5 drive from my local park.

Only thing I is drive a coupe, but I recently saw a picture of a Honda coupe with foam racks that looked its yak was tied down pretty well. Just as long Im not driving down a highway with a speed limit of 75mph, I should be fine.
>>
>>797983
40 isn't even close to old, and 40 year olds don't have strength or mobility issues, unless they did a lot of extreme sports in the 90s and crashed a lot, or they're fat Southerners.
>>
File: 2016-06-11 18.44.04.jpg (978 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-11 18.44.04.jpg
978 KB, 1920x1080
>>798256
Where there's a will, there's a way.
>>
>>797981
i'm so bummed out they are shit cuz the concept is amazing. i probably will get a regular one and just keep it in the basement
>>
>>797981
have you tried out the Puffin 12? thats probably what ill end up going with.
>>
>>798327
haha, mid 50's, have crashed every way possible in water sports and snow sports since the 70's.
My mobility is just fine. Sure, I'm not doing flips any more but I'm also not sitting on my ass.
>>
>>797983
>can be 12+ feet long and weigh over 70 pounds
I owned a 17ft aluminum canoe for many years. Loaded it onto my truck alone and also unloaded it and launched it all by myself on a regular basis with no problems.
Because I was either going canoeing alone or with girls or young ones.
>dont own a truck
then you not enough of an /out/ist

To me any kayak and almost any aluminum or plastic canoe is 'portable'
as long as they're not made of wood or some shit. you should be able to carry the damn things. hell even if its takes 2 people to move i'd still consider it 'portable'

Now unless this is to infer 'packable' as in you can break it down and fit it into some kind of carry bag. then i point see the point in calling it 'portable'

A 60 foot yacht is not what i'd call 'man-portable' but a 12 to 17 foot canoe is definitely portable.
>>
I have a 16 foot Madriver adventure( I know its a canoe, but everyone else has a kayak, and im the team hualer) but I regularly put it on top of a dodge neon, with no roof rack, by my self. The amount of stuff I can carry with me is way harder to deal with than the boat.
My point is get something that does what you want, you can more easily work around the transportation of it that trying to deal with shortcomings on the water.
>>
File: pDSP1-23496833v750[1].jpg (210 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
pDSP1-23496833v750[1].jpg
210 KB, 750x750
So I took a trip to Dicks and spotted a couple kayaks that caught my eye, one of them being a Perception Swifty Deluxe 95 Kayak.

Thoughts?
>>
File: 20160622_214129.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20160622_214129.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
you can make your own oru kayak, the materials are very cheep. Mine cost something like 80 E. 50% done
>>
>>799461
can you post this on /diy/ with all the steps you've taken with pictures and materials used?
did you get the schematics from the patent? What type of plastic did you use, and how did you manage to make the creases so that it doesn't break and can still be folded into the box?
>>
>>797758

I'm friend's with Ardy from Oru. (CEO)

I can get you a 40% markdown if you pay for shipping it out of So Cal.

shoot me an email, halderanpt93 at outlook dot com
>>
>>798620

Looks like a popsicle
>>
File: 20160610_184300.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20160610_184300.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>799466
I didn't take pictures with the steps but after I finish and test this one I will make another kayak and post it there. for now I can say I used template from the patent but you need to make modifications from that template to fold better. the material i use it is cellular polypropylene #5. For the creases and cutting i used a Roter CNC machine. polypropylene is a little elastic so it can bend easily but you need to find a UV polypropylene sheet for a longer life
>>
File: 1314220_403_main.jpg (88 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1314220_403_main.jpg
88 KB, 1200x1200
>>798620
I have a Perception Rambler and a kayak caddie. I live around the block from a public boat ramp and the dog likes to come, so the walk around the block actually helps him get all his shit out before we launch.
>>
>>799495
>I will make another kayak and post it there.
Look forward to it, sounds cool!
>>
File: IMAG0140.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0140.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
There are some great inflatables and there are some shitty ones as well. I like advanced elements, but there are other good brands.

Pic related is mine drying out from going fishing yesterday.
>>
File: image.jpg (188 KB, 1235x744) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188 KB, 1235x744
Anyone have an advice for strapping a kayak to a car without buying a rack? I've got these rails on my car and I was thinking something like straps with buckles. Any tips?
>>
>>799632
upside down with foam blocks for under the gunwales and 2 straps minimum. Attach a bow and stern line going down under your bumpers with padding so it doesn't fuck up your paint

pic related but straps go under rails instead of windows
>>
>>799636
I should mention you're going to have a hard time tying it down sufficiently tight without denting your roof if you go without a rack...but you're the one being a cheapo
>>
>>799636
Sorry me again. I'm a canoe guy and not kayaker, but concept is pretty similar. I think you would need kayak to be upright with the foam blocks under the keel rather than upside down under gunwales like you would on a canoe.
>>
>>799638
I'm a poorfag. Sue me
>>
>>799643
no worries, just telling you this option is doable for sure but will probably cause some minor damage to your vehicle over time
>>
>>797758

That flimsy thing is $1175? These modular Kayaks cost just as much, and could easily fit in an apartment.

http://kayaks.point65.com/start
>>
File: 0622161707c_HDR_Film2.jpg (4 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
0622161707c_HDR_Film2.jpg
4 MB, 2656x1494
>>799461
looks good. any mods or is it a knock off?
I saw plans posted online for it.

>>799466
there's plans available if you look around.
pic is my origami one sheet tiny canoe.
>>
File: Bluefin-14-by-Pakayak-.jpg (94 KB, 1087x725) Image search: [Google]
Bluefin-14-by-Pakayak-.jpg
94 KB, 1087x725
There's a kickstarter going around for the "Pakayak" - it breaks apart and nests into itself like one of those shitty kids' toys.

I have no idea if this thing will actually be good or not but I have my eye on it.

I suspect it will be very difficult to keep clean / free of sand and shit at the seems and will probably bend and flex a bit producing some drag. But for a casual user maybe these are the way to go? Time will tell. Hopefully they don't sink.
>>
File: Hobie i14T.jpg (429 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
Hobie i14T.jpg
429 KB, 1600x1066
Hobie has all the cool shit.

They have inflatable mirage drive kayaks now that can take a sail and are tandem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhjybtM2h9U
>>
>>799686
You have a link to this one?looks sweet.
>>
>>799711
that has potential

definitely a calm waters craft only though, wouldnt take it on a river with any sort of rapids
>>
>>799722
You know, we

>>797799

Try to tell them but poorfags are more in mine with inflatable kiddy pools and a long stick.

> poorfags will poorfag
>>
>>799636
How do u see out the car with the canoe like that?
>>
File: pDSP1-10032549v750[1].jpg (121 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
pDSP1-10032549v750[1].jpg
121 KB, 750x750
So Im going with a Pelican. Only thing is as Ive already mentioned I drive a Cobalt two door. I already purchased foam pads, but what Im worried about is how much of a problem would be bringing forward the back bar just a enough so that I can wrap the straps so that they would be wrapping my roof? I of course have straps for the bow and stern so that they would be secured.

I of course plan on purchasing bars and racks for my car, its just the foam pads are a temporarily solution just to get the kayak home (It would only actually take me one mile to reach my local park on foot)

So to clarify, there shouldn't be a problem with adjusting the foam pads on a two door Cobalt?

Heres what I impulsively bought while I was a Dicks.
>>
File: 1466419799416.gif (3 MB, 300x237) Image search: [Google]
1466419799416.gif
3 MB, 300x237
>>800122

Eh, fuck it. I'll just use my brothers four door Saturn. He can stand around while I mount the whole thing.
>>
>>799711
>Pakayak

just watched the kick-starter it looks amazing but they are knocking out a huge chunk of their market if they keep it that high of a price point. i know im not /biz/ but it seems like it would make more sense to lower the profit margins a little to sell more (which should about even out profits) and just get more out there so people get used to seeing them. If i saw that being set up i would immediately go and ask about it.
>>
>>797758
>leaning towards purchasing one even if the price is a little out of my range.

And this is why everyone is in debt today, buy the best one IN your price range, you don't need the best in the world, especially if you can't afford it.
>>
>>799934
I do..this is actually my own design tho'..
I may be persuaded to post plans on /diy/ or instructables.
>>
>>800339
Do it man, Ive been looking for something like this.
>>
File: 3179925956_642af4ed72.jpg (169 KB, 500x440) Image search: [Google]
3179925956_642af4ed72.jpg
169 KB, 500x440
>>798620
>>799491

nostalgia'd
>>
>>797758
Spend the money and getting a native or hobie, I just ordered my Propel slayer FX 13 should be here in a few days, I tried it out I like how I can reverse makes a nice fishing day
>>
>>798620
How much are you trying to spend? I would say native and hobies high seat is a super plus and worth the money, makes more unstable for higher up sitting but I'm fine with this
>>
>>799722
Tandem can be fun but there is a reason they call them "divorce boats" the mirage drive is pretty bad ass I know it goes faster then the propel drive but mirage cant reverse, I do love the rudders on hobbies though
>>
>>802887
this is'nt for you so much as a general explanation on how to do this right.

my lady and i have this down to a science. so much so that kayaking together is our favorite activity.

I am going to assume that you wear the /out/pants in the relationship and sit in the back of the kayak.

A) you HAVE to communicate what you are heading towards out loud and confirm they they see what you are looking. break up landmarks in small sections.

B) when just casual moving the person in the back has to match the person in the front and follow their rhythm. they cant see you. even if yours is better- tough shit also the person in back is entirely responsible for direction and should call out if they are going to pull back for a tight turn.

C) when you want to move with some speed or pick up the pace before a long glide- you gotta say what the stoke count will be, the intensity level, and starting side.
for example (sorry for cheesiness of this but i swear it works):
ill chant: "ok boo; you got a power 20 in you!?"
and shell say: "I do, I do"
Me: Alright! left side!
Her: left side!
me: lets go!

and one of use will count out every stroke.

if i see shes getting tired (or im getting tired) or one of is done for the day/we see a good lunch spot. ill say out loud- "how about a leisurely 30 to that rock over there." and we will do the same thing.

follow this strat and you two will be enjoying a good tandem for years to come.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.