[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hiking dog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: Chrysanthemum.jpg (859 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Chrysanthemum.jpg
859 KB, 1024x768
Which breed of dog would you suggest for long hiking trips along the Appalachian trail?
>>
>>797027
Something big for protection, high energy so he doesn't tire easily, and smart so he'll obey commands.

German Shepherd, Boxer, Pitbull, or similar mutt.
>>
>>797027
I would suggest an alarm. I have been bugged heavily by bears there in PA. It's bad, be careful.
Use your nose. You will smell tons of piss markings.
If you smell death in the middle of the night, that's bear breath. Alarm + run.

Watch out for deer too, they are extra aggressive in PA.
>>
File: rhodesian-ridgeback-u4.jpg (79 KB, 1280x976) Image search: [Google]
rhodesian-ridgeback-u4.jpg
79 KB, 1280x976
Big, strong , smart, good companion, doesn't tire easily, loves exercise.
>>
>>797029
>smart
>pitbull
>boxer
>>
File: dogpoop.jpg (690 KB, 1296x968) Image search: [Google]
dogpoop.jpg
690 KB, 1296x968
somehow related:
>in the middle of nowhere
>dog poops
>pick it up with a plastic bag
>put it in the firepit
dog people are seriously retarded

thanks for ruining my trip
>>
File: rottweiler.jpg (231 KB, 1000x554) Image search: [Google]
rottweiler.jpg
231 KB, 1000x554
>>
The Appalachian Trail Dog is the obvious choice.

> not learning your breeds
>>
>>797035
Tell me more stories about bears

I'm comfy in bed in LONDON and want to know more
>>
>>797294
They threaten you and run away. It's extremely rare to run into them, but hit up the eastern border of the Appalachians and you will regret every step.

Sorry no stories because the night from hell I got chased out in pitch blackness 3 times but couldn't see any of the bears, just smell them. Check dangerous animal encounters thread, I put one there.

Do not lay in the woods unprepared in PA, you will lose your mind. Piss markers for 10 miles in a row and shit. Deer that attack instead of run. Mosquitos for days. Stinkbugs for years.
>>
>>797320
what do you need to be prepared? firearm? What kind of bears they got out there?
>>
>>797328
Black bears. No gun needed at fucking all.
Just a dollar store hand alarm about 120db and they run away. Bear spray could help but probably unnecessary weight because the can will always be full.
I would not suggest you scream at a bear.
I was told that you back away while facing it and it will leave.
>>
>>797333
sweet. thanks bro. gonna go to sleep dreaming that paddington bear is gonna come visit
>>
>>797027
Let's talk about what kind of dog you want to care for first, unless you are simply borrowing one for a trail.

Also never make a young dog go on long trials until they are done growing, it damages joints. Some larger breeds don't stop growing for 2 years
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.