[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am looking for a saw I can use for collecting firewood while
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
I am looking for a saw I can use for collecting firewood while backpacking. It would have to fit in my backpack (obviously)
>>
if the wood you're collecting is too thick or wet to break by hand you're collecting the wrong wood.
>>
>>796732
>if the wood you're collecting is too thick or wet to break by hand you're collecting the wrong wood.
This.
>>
>>796727
Silky saws.
>>
>>796727

Do you think you'll be using this very often? I sort of agree with all the previous comments so far including silky saws.
>>
Boreal 21 saw, or a silky. If you break a blade on your silky your might as buy a new one though.
>>
I got a Coghlands folding saw because it was cheap. It's really flimsy and shitty but it's held up for a couple years now.

My dad bought a SOG brand folding saw that he uses for yardwork. It feels much better made and it fucking soars through wood compared to my Coghlands.

Never tried anything else but it seems like people like those silky saws.

I wholly disagree with the comments about not needing a saw. There is plenty of dead wood in my usual haunts that is too big to break by hand.
>>
You don't need a saw, stop being a pussy and use your hands to break up branches
>>
>>799428
>There is plenty of dead wood in my usual haunts that is too big to break by hand.
then there is also plenty of would that you CAN break by hand. quit being a faggot who leaves big, black, half burnt log cinders in rings all over the woods and burn shit that will be consumed entirely to fine white ash.

other advantages of hand breakable wood:
>less smoke
>better coalbed
>easier to extinguish
>easier to collect
seriously, there is no reason to burn wood that requires an axe or saw while backpacking.
>>
I can see a saw being useful in really wet conditions, to process a larger branch to help get at the dry wood in the middle. That and building a structure. I don't carry one I dunno
>>
>>799551
That you can break by hand which burns up in minutes. Or I can throw a log on and actually enjoy the fire instead of having to tend to it constantly.

The small stuff is usually laying directly on the ground and damp. Larger logs are elevated due to their shape and burn much better. Fag
>>
>>799591
>That you can break by hand which burns up in minutes
how fuckin weak are you? good, dry, wrist+ diameter wood breaks easily and burns plenty long.
>>
???

Take with you, a buck saw blade (Bahco makes the best cheap ones), and make a frame out of wood & cord.

You gotta have a "sheath" or something for the saw blade. I made a simple one out of nylon webbing. Carry weight is maybe two and a half ounces? For the whole setup.

But really.... you probably don't actually need a saw.
>>
>>799379
+1 for the boreal I love mine.

Depending on amount of cutting and time of year I take either my boreal or a bacho laplander
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
pocket chain saw and you'll be happy forever. quality is essential here and this is one of those things where price is usually equal to quality.
>>
>>799831
> bahco

As if Silky Saws are too expensive?

GOD, why is /out/ filled with dumb, cheap, poorfag bastards?
>>
>>799989
you'd have better luck sawing thru wood with a day old turd than one of those.

>>799991
Bahco is argueably better than silky anyway, it's a EU v US thing as to what gets recommended from what I've seen.

Neither silky or bahco replace a good buck saw, and don't say the silky jumbo or whatever that retarded super long one is, you're still better off with a buck saw.

+1 for Boreal 21, best part is it takes a STANDARD saw blade which you can find anywhere, and of course there are different blade choices depending on what you're cutting (ofc a seasoned wood pattern is best for firewood chores)

I HATE proprietary systems, my Bahco saw is a good few years old and dulled, but guess what, the blades cost almost as much as a new one. Pointless.
>>
>>800051
>you'd have better luck sawing thru wood with a day old turd than one of those.
you have obviously never used a decent one.
>>
>>800059
Are they actually any good? Ive used the cheap ones that are basically wire but the chainsaw blade type seem decent
>>
Any word on sven saw? Never had one but they seemed useful
>>
>>800062
like i said, pocket saw and you'll be happy for life.
>>
>>800051
> bahco > silky

In you eu dreams!
>>
File: IMG_20160121_134321.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160121_134321.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>800072
Second only to Silky, if not even.
>>
File: IMG_20160120_160351.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160120_160351.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>800085
>>
>>796727
30 Inch bob's quick buck saw. $65. breaks down nicely, and can handle large diameter logs.
>>
>>799989
Memes.
Have you ever actually used one of those?

Id take a hachet over that anyday.
>>
>>800085
>>800086
Mein negret
>>
>>800085
What kind of saw is this
>>
File: DSCF5303-2.jpg (444 KB, 2000x1600) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5303-2.jpg
444 KB, 2000x1600
>>800051

and all second to the Boreal
>>
>>800645
> Boreal 21
> $65
> sheath
> $54

> Sven Saw 21
> $28
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.