[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wet weather footwear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: P6142442.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
P6142442.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
So, /out/, question!

I've got two trips coming up, and the second, while being the less /out/ one of the two, is the one I need some advice for. The plan is to drive from Senegal along the coastal highway of West Africa, with time determining where the ride ends. Given the current season, things may be quite wet there, and I still need
>footwear
>a hammock with mosquito net and tarp

Not sure if I should get shoes with a goretex membrane, shoes that dry really quickly, or just a pair of plain old sturdy combat boots.
So, tl;dr: what shoes and hammock do I get for riding a motorbike in hot wet weather. I live in Europe, so if possible keep that in mind if you suggest brands.
Pic vaguely related, it's the destination of the first trip, the Russian Caucasus.
>>
If its very wet you're feet will get wet regardless of whether you have waterproof shoes or not. What I recommend is enough spare socks, talcum powder, and good discipline with foot hygiene.

Personally I'd go for a pair of cotton hot weather boots and change socks regularly.

But as you're riding a motorcycle.. why not just go for a pair of moto boots and a packable pair of trail shoes.
>>
File: P6071986.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
P6071986.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>794929
I don't expect my feet to get soaked every single day, but I expect a good deal of wetness nonetheless. Socks and talcum powder are indeed on my pack list.

The thing is, however, that - given the heat - I'm definitely bringing sandals, and I don't feel like carrying both moto boots and trail shoes. So I'm torn as to what kind of second pair to bring.
>>
Depends how you feel on using non Moto boots on the Moto, some riders are paranoid about laces and potential problems if you take a tumble.

If you're on your bike a lot I'd defo go for Moto boots. As to sandals or trail shoes, how much hiking away from your bike will you be doing and do you like hiking in sandals?
>>
>>795481
Probably lots of time on the motorbike, we have thousands of kilometers to cover. Hiked on sandals before, I'm still more surefooted than most people wearing hiking boots. The weather will most likely make them the more comfortable choice.
>>
File: DSC02347-L.jpg (68 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
DSC02347-L.jpg
68 KB, 450x600
>>794933
>But as you're riding a motorcycle.. why not just go for a pair of moto boots and a packable pair of trail shoes.
this
broken ankles suck

I wear work boots if i'm commuting around town on the bike... any real riding and i'm wearing some real gear.
>>
File: P6122385.png (729 KB, 767x575) Image search: [Google]
P6122385.png
729 KB, 767x575
>>796869
Will look into this kind of thing, time permitting. Many thanks, anons.
>>
>>794929
>shoes
something with goretex. beyond that it's personal preference
>hammock
warbonnet blackbird. tarp is sold separately. it takes a while to get it and they aren't cheap, but it's definitely the best hammock I've ever had. if you've got time before the trip I would check it out
>>
>>794929
As an anon has mentioned, get socks and keep your feet clean, to decrease chances of infection and sweating. Keep in mind: just cold is better than wet and cold. Inside of your shoes being wet also makes a lot easier to get blisters.
I would suggest being more careful in the russian caucuses and maybe even consider georgia. Most know, that chechnya and dagestan are quite dangerous because of corrupt and violent officials. Offiacials are basically Putins decoys. There are orders to keep the populace at bay with violence if any disobedience rises. That means there is a chance of clashes and even terrorism.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.