[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lifestraw or purification tablets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
And what kind of container would be the best for backpacking through Eastern Europe, as lightweight, cheap and easy to use as possible?
>>
>>794463
probably purification tablets. If you live in Canada be sure to get them from the travel clinic when you get your shots, they're tax-free when sold through a medical centre.
>>
>>794474
>>794474
also Nalgene wide-mouth HDPE bottles, they're cheap as fuck and compatible with the two best MSR filters.
>>
>>794463
hey anon, I'm going to travel through south east asia and my preferred mode will be the following:
- Iodine tincture (either tablets from amazon or buy a cheap 2% iodine tincture in any pharmacy) : 5 drops per liter if it's clear, 10 drops if its murky
It is more effective than chloride dioxide, will kill 99.999% or something like that of bacteria, virus, fungi...
Let it stand for a while specially if the water is cold
-Then I'll use the sawyer mini to filter any debri, or any other 0.01 micron microbes or particles that haven't been dealt with

This is a foolproof method but of course most wouldn't consider necessary. But I ain't risking my only holidays during the whole year
>>
not trying to cause a shitstorm but the Sawyer Mini is a better filter
>attach inline to hydration packs
>attach standard thread water bottles
>stick the included straw on it to use lifestraw style
the lifestraw is a good filter, but you have to get down on your knees by a puddle or stream to use it unless you have a wide mouth water bottle
>purification tablets
bring these too. they don't take up much space and are useful if you want to filter on the go. plus they kill viruses which not all water filters get (depending on type of tablets)
>container
for water? stainless steel water bottle lets you boil water in it. i have a klean kanteen and a miir bottle but whatever fits your fancy. just make sure to boil all the way so the mouth of the bottle is clean too
>>
Just came home from a little scouting for new camping grounds in the woods.
I have found a spot that was still pretty dry, on a small plateau.
a beautiful spot I already knew but not fo r camping with my hammock.
there's a creek right behind the plateau and you can get down there on a path.
I've thought about getting water from there for cooking. But here's my problem.
It rained a lot the past few days, so there were a lot of puddles and small
watercourses in the woods. when I walked around for a while, I found some thick foam in the water upstream. I have checked the map and I was right in the headwaters. would you boil & drink?
>>
>>794479
I've got an MSR but it's pretty much obsolete now. Sawyers fulfill the same role for about 20% the weight and much less volume. The MSR would definitely last longer in terms of volume of water purified, but who really needs to filter thousands of gallons of water?
>>
>>795922
Two different tools for different jobs,I mean sure they both filter water.. but one is for personal/two man usage. And the other can be used with a group for a camp.. so really all you'd have to do realistically is lug it out of there once and keep it out there
>>
>>794463
Purification tablets/drops are definitely the most convenient and lightest water purification.

You can have literally months worth of water purification for a few grams.

Having said that, in my experience you have to be careful with them. If you don't let treated water air out sufficiently, the chlorine won't dissipate. Drinking overly chlorinated water will ruin your intestinal flora and actually make you more likely to get sick. As a consequence, I normally use a filter even though it is more of a hassle otherwise.
>>
File: PolarPure.jpg (8 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
PolarPure.jpg
8 KB, 290x174
>>794548
Sawyer mini and polar pure iodine crystals are my set up. usually only use one, only double up if it's super questionable water and I don't have a choice.
>>
>>798294
Shilling for iodine.

ClO2 is a more effective disinfectant.
>>
>>799536
huh. never noticed much of a difference personally- I've got a pretty good gut and choose my sources carefully though. I just like how many uses iodine crystals gets (1,000s) vs aquamira or whathaveyou (10's).

Much like most things on this board, to me it's a matter of preference.
>>
>>794548

Seconding Sawyer. Best $20 I ever spent.
>>
File: 1455446522905.png (433 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455446522905.png
433 KB, 1920x1080
>>794463
So, what is dangerous in the water?

Mud: The only way to get it out of the water is to filter it, even a homemade filter made with sand/clay/tissue will do.

Small animals/parasites: Iodine and silver ion will kill it, they won't survive pasteurization, they will be filtered even by the cheapest/oldest filter.

Bacteria: Will be killed by all of the above, will be filtered by any good filter.

Virus: Will be killed by all of the above, will be partially filtered by the best filters. Ebola and E coli won't be filtered for instance.

Warning: killing them is a thing, but drinking their dead bodies can make you ill or more thirsty than if you don't drink the water.

Chemicals: Need a chemical treatment specially designed for this particular chemical. Even distillation may not work. If you don't have a PHD in chemistry and don't have a lab in your camping car, you can't deal with it. You can know very easily if there is a chemical pollution in the water by looking at the industrial activity upstream or by asking your forest service.

Purification tablets/iodine drops: kill every living things and do nothing else.
Lifestraw/mini Sawyer: remove all the mud, all the bacteria and parasites and most of the virus.
Pasteurization: Kill all living things. Need a fire.
Distillation: Turn any mud into H2O, may still have some chemical contamination, require a fire, time and heavy material.

I am not sure if active charcoal filter do a particular thing on the chemicals. Someone know how they work?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.