[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tasty Animals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12
File: rabbit_img1[1].jpg (89 KB, 250x365) Image search: [Google]
rabbit_img1[1].jpg
89 KB, 250x365
What wild game have you tried and would recommend?

If I'm innawoods and i come across a rabbit I usually shoot it and grill it over the fire. Not the tastiest but it's always a good chunk of meat
>>
Hipsters
>>
>rabbit
>deer
>squirrel
>frog
>fish
>dove
>duck
>turkey

Have a ball.
>>
>>794257
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but as a person who would like to learn how to hunt but doesn't know anyone who hunts, what would you recommend to get started? I live in northern Illinois, btw.
Inb4 Illinois is /out/ shit tier
>>
>>794280
Add to that list :
pheasant
quail
raccoon
grouse
goose
chukar
woodcock
pigeon
boar

And that's all for me. Rabbit is the best. Squirrel is worst. They eat black walnuts here. I love black walnut fudge. Black walnut squirrel? Not so much.
>>
>>794257
1. Ruffed Grouse
2. Snapping Turtle
(I quit eating turtles after considering how many pollutants they are exposed to over their long lives. But boy they were good.)
>>
>>794291
Get a pistol, go for a hike, if you see a rabbit shoot it.
>>
Alligator
Horse
Kangaroo

Alligator is fucking delicious
>>
>>794257
i eat a lot of roadkill and found that i really like cat meat.
but deer, squirrel and rabbit are also great
>>
>>794395
dont you need a license to do it?
>>
>>794425
Fuck the government and fuck their licenses. Get a .22 short revolver. Will kill rabbits, won't be very loud. No one knows, no one cares, innawoods comfy time.
>>
>>794432
i use a slingshot with triple layer theraband gold and 10mm steel balls.
kills a rabbit instantly just by blunt force if you hit the head.
stuns the rabbit if you hit it in the chest area.
as silent as it can get.
>>
Deer, roe deer, wild boar, wild duck, phaesant, quail, pigeon, sparrow and some other small bird I can't remember the name of, small, black and yellow beak. Also ate horse (not game tho). Also ate moose , reindeer and whole.
Rabbit is good bud small birds wine for me, ecpecially if they are caught with a net and not shot down. Also roe dere is god tier, and boar, well fuck it boar is also delcious. Tbh I am a cheffag so I know how to make it good lol
Moose is very good as meat but not very gamey surprisingly, very sweet meat so to say, reindeer is the leanest meat I ever tried and the best way is to eat it raw, marinated a bit before, like carpacio.
Whale tastes like beef thats been feed shrimps, not bad but å taste I haven't acquired yet.
>>
>>794437
>steel ammo
Look at Mr. Bourgeois Hunter over here.
>>
>>794450
whats wrong with using steel ?
>>
>>794450
It's actually illegal to use rocks in most places, but knowing how this thread is going, I don't think that's really a concern.
>>
File: reck_r14_r.jpg (88 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
reck_r14_r.jpg
88 KB, 800x600
I will concur with the .22LR for rabbits. I have an old Reck .22LR pistol I carry innawoods just for rabbits. Have shot a pheasant once, and doves a few times. Doves are too much work for paltry eating innawoods but if the alternative is another granola bar, is a good choice.

Once when I was in the everglades, shot an iguana. They are invasive species and you can kill them. That was good eating too.
>>
>>794882
we have a problem with stray cats as invaders, since they are eating local bird populations.

cats are delicious very tasty meat, plus if you are /out/ with some guys they will come up with atleast 10 new "eating pussy" jokes every mealtime.
>>
>>794901
never eaten a cat. not saying I wouldn't eat a cat.
>>
I tried moose and bear.

Moose was tasty.

Bear was ok but nothing special.

Tried a whale, too. It tasted kinda like beef, but again, absolutely nothing special, and worse than moose.

I do not recommend eating whale at all. It's not worth it.
>>
>>794257
Hare and wild pork
>>
>>794882
>shot a pheasant with a .22
You are either a deadshot or you shot that pheasant while it was on the ground. If it is the later please go kill yourself with fire.
>>
>>794437

Should upgrade to .45-50 cal lead balls

They'll shoot through a rabbit no problem
>>
>>794916
?? It was walking among trees. Why the fuck would I put it to flight to shoot with a pistol?

It was in the woods behind my house. Along a gravel road.
>>
>>794916
Is there something wrong with shooting a pheasant on the ground? Please enlighten me.

I've never hunted but I feel like I ought to know how.
>>
Wild boar is OK if you know how to cook it. You have to soften the meat for days in wine or liquor and then can make a tasty stew.

Hand down the very best I have tried is venison. Butcher it the right way and you can just grill the filets
>>
BTW rabbit is just ok, not the tastiest nor the most tender meat. Best way you can cook it is to make a rice dish with vegetables.
>>
>>794959
Shooting a pheasant on the ground is so easy it is considered "cheating", and not worthy of a true hunter... Unless you are hunting to avoid starvation so it is not a sport but "foraging", or are using a sling, in which case it is still a challenge.
>>
>>794291
>research your state and county laws.
>Get all licenses/tags that you need
>buy a rifle or shotgun, doesn't need to be big a 10/22, a .410 or 20ga shotgun is good for small game
>practice shooting
>get familiar with viable areas to hunt on public land.
>butter up a farmer and try to get him to let you hunt his land. (good luck)
>get gud at shooting, you don't want the animal to suffer and run off somewhere where you can't find it.
>research field dressing techniques for the different species you are hunting
>be patient

There's a lot of nuance to hunting that can't really be explained or taught. Getting out there and observing everything is where it is at. Have fun, be safe and respect nature and other people enjoying it.
>>
Fenchfag here.

Guns aren't allowed here so do you know how can I make a rabbit trap ?
>>
>>795062
Just borrow an ak from a mosque. They have so many I doubt they'll notice one missing.
>>
File: 5454137.jpg (92 KB, 1198x450) Image search: [Google]
5454137.jpg
92 KB, 1198x450
>>795076
I'd like to but the only time i've been close to muslim i was on the ground, bleeding and they were six.

So any other idea for the trap ?
>>
Fucking hell, I come on this board to forget that western civilization is collapsing.

If you really are French and want to hunt rabbits, perhaps a slingshot would work? Otherwise traps are tricky, you can try a mini bear trap if you don't mind the rabbit screaming in pain, or a live trap if you want to be a little more humane. A noose snare is supposed to be easy to make but I don't have any graphics for you.
>>
File: mountains-village-france-nature.jpg (997 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
mountains-village-france-nature.jpg
997 KB, 1920x1200
>>795080
Ok thank you.

>Just avoid paris and all other big city's suburbs and you'll be fine there is more than paris to visit in france.
>>
>>795079
rabbit trap wont work on muzzies.
>>
File: snare 1.jpg (82 KB, 809x1024) Image search: [Google]
snare 1.jpg
82 KB, 809x1024
>>795062
>>795080
>>
File: snare 2.jpg (40 KB, 500x607) Image search: [Google]
snare 2.jpg
40 KB, 500x607
>>795142
>>
File: snare 3.jpg (103 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
snare 3.jpg
103 KB, 620x465
>>795144
>>
>>795142
>>795144
>>795146
Thanks for these graph.
>>
File: osehnc00601 (1).jpg (27 KB, 250x420) Image search: [Google]
osehnc00601 (1).jpg
27 KB, 250x420
>>795062
Get a slingshot, air rifle or bow and arrow (i'm prett y sure bowhunting is legal in france, if not, then just do it illegally like I do here in bongland).
Also get a cheap metal box trap for £20 for animals, easy to setup and catch a few critters with if you're smart.
>>
>>794901
Wouldnt cat meat be bad, since cats are carnivores?
>>
>>795173
We have to get a formation to use a bow for hunting but I might buy a slingshot, i know its easy to buy here.
>>
Friendly reminder to get vaccinated against ticks before going camping/hunting into the woods
>>
>>794966
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm hunting pheasants because I like pheasant, no need to make it unnecessarily difficult.
>>
>>794401
jusy mske sure yo cut the fat, the fat is nasty shit
>>
>>795431
in some countries the hunting culture and tradition is still strongly connected to an ethical guideline

out of respect for the bird and sportsmanship birds don't get shot on the ground
it's not forbidden by any law though i think
>>
>>795467
Ok faggot, some people like to use force that is certainly lethal to minimize suffering for the animal rather than some gay pursuit to be snobbish and look down on other hunters all the while wounding a bunch of birds because you're flinging rocks at them.
>>
>>795191
What fucking vaccine
>>
>>795500
Depends on the geographical location where you are going camping. It's probably best to check the local government services and the websites of that county and city or contact your doctor for information. Also check travel information from your countries embassies represented in your travel destination.

>Europe, Russia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick-borne_encephalitis

>Other (see the regions listed)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick-borne_disease#Examples

>US embassies around the world and local travel informations
http://www.usembassy.gov/

Basically if you get this you can become a vegetable.
>>
File: strip mall.jpg (212 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
strip mall.jpg
212 KB, 736x414
>>794291
It is m8, I'm from northern Il too
>>
>>794303
>raccoon
>>
>>795431
Right. Bird in the bag is worth two in the bush. A running pheasant is a gone pheasant anyway. If you hit one you brag.

Add porcupine. Find a fat one and you wont want to eat anything else

Black bears taste bad everywhere but if there is a dumpster within 100mi you will wish you didn't shoot it.
>>
>>794451
>buying slingshot ammo

>>794791
>citation needed
>>
Lobsters
Crabs
Rabbit
Squirrel
Clams
Dove
Quail
Flounder
Trout, German Brown, Rainbow and Sea
Shark

All delicious except squirrel and trout
>>
>>798919
Pissclams are bestclams.
>>
File: 1466393148544.gif (2 MB, 280x242) Image search: [Google]
1466393148544.gif
2 MB, 280x242
>>794401
Kangaroo is god tier

Super lean red meat from an overly abundant food source, fucking best thing is there are twice as many grey kangaroos over here than there were BEFORE the first fleet dropped our asses off, so no conservation guilt.

>That and them cunts are tasty
>>
>>798960
I am still waiting for the commercials stateside condemning the kangaroo culls. "Stop joey clubbing" with footage of australians hanging out of a maloo with cricket bats drink on fosters.
Even better will be when we need to slaughter the booming mink whales
>>
>>799015

The entire roo population RELIES on hunters to keep their numbers down, theyre so comfy with hardly any predators that theyd starve themselves and every other native herbivore out in a year if we didnt snap the fuck out of them.

But with the way the greens are going, every single animal will be put on a 'vulnerable to extinction' list.

Fuckin hippies just dont get what happens when you knock out the apex predator of the land then STOP killin shit.
>>
>>794291
figure out what you want to hunt
>rabbits/squirrels/small game
get a .22lr or 17hmr
>game birds
20 or 12 gauge, new shooters can err toward the 20, but a 12 is very manageable, especially for larger birds like geese and big ducks.
>larger game (deer, furbearers)
look into a .243, .30-30, or .223. the .223 is light for a deer load but can kill with decent shot placement.

depending on what you want to do, your state may have certain licenses/tags/stamps you need to buy in addition to a hunter's education class as a requirement to hunt. if you're choosing to ignore those, your $200-500 gun could become a very expensive fine/jail time. the species you choose to hunt may have caliber restrictions set by the state (ex.: deer may not be taken by a bullet smaller than a 22 caliber).

once that's done: practice shooting, check some youtube videos/printed sources about your target species, and find some public land.
>>
>>794257
>ducks
>pheasant
>grouse
>partridge
>deer (whitetail and mule)
>moose
>elk
>fish (pike, walleye/perch, bass, panfish)
most are pretty tasty. the fish is all in how it's prepared and the temp of the water in which it was caught
>>
>>795467
>>795431
you're exactly like the people who say using guns to hunt "isn't sportsmanlike", but you just draw the line in the sand a little further out. If you see the animal you're going to eat, kill it humanely and expeditiously. Spooking it and then killing it just so you can pat yourself on the back for imaginary Billy Badass points is retarded
>>
>crawfish
tasty with garlic, buy you have to catch a lot to get a meaningful amount of meat
>jackrabbits
gamey as all hell, and barely any fat pretty easy to clean
>quail
tasty, decent amount of meat, easy to clean
>dove
see: quail
>bass
pretty easy to catch and clean. tasty even without seasoning. can cook on embers if you pack a bit of tinfoil
>>799055
how does water temperature affect fish taste?
>>
Elk and Moose are my personal favorite and they are large enough for there to be meat for at least 18 months.
>>
>>799077
Not him but i find warmer water equals a heavier fishy taste. Cold water fish always are better tasting imo
>>
>>798872
not the same anon, but in the UK it is considered stoning, which is illegal as part of the Wild Mammals Protection Act of 1996. I don't think there are any rules against it in the states, though.
>>
>>794257
Rabbit
Snake
Squirrel
Dove
Quail
Duck
Goose
Deer
Elk
Barbary Sheep
Oryx
Fish
Pronghorn
And probably some other shit that I haven't thought of.

>>794432
Rabbits are considered non-game here. If I want to go out and shoot 100 of them just to do it, the government does not give a fuck.
>>
>>794959
Not a goddamned thing. It's people wanting to let everybody else know how ethical they are. If I'm going to shoot a pheasant, I don't give one rat's ass about sport, which is what they're talking about: Making it sporting.
>>
File: eaten wall.jpg (120 KB, 834x626) Image search: [Google]
eaten wall.jpg
120 KB, 834x626
Somewhere over here in /out/ I can get an answer Just...Like...THAT!! but I'm not sure where, so bear (hahaha--bear!), with me and tell me what made this. Something has been gnawing on these boards. At night. Not squirrels or chipmunks. This is substantial gnawing! I'm in the Middle of Pennsylvania of Pennsylvania. This is my families' summer shack. It happens at night. I've had bears come through, and chipmonks and everything in between. The only thing I can think it Might be is the ugly opossum-but I never heard any stories of opossums' gnawing like that. I sprayed with mix of water and Tabasco sauce, because it seems to keep the animals away from my garden. Any help at all would really be appreciated. I'd start a thread, but only have a few of these, just taken tonight.
>>
>>795479
>>799072
oh, i'm not a hunter
i also think a clean, stressless shot is the best
it's just the way things are in europe
there are some obsolecent customs and rules

maybe it's safer for other hunters and dogs to fire the shots into the air
>>
>>794291
>northern Illinois
Same. Can't tell if it'd be worse living in Chiraq or if its worse living in the suburbs. At least I'm closer to Wisconsin.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.