[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, perhaps this is the incorrect place to ask, but a friend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
So, perhaps this is the incorrect place to ask, but a friend of mine found this geode. We cracked it and....look! Any mineral buds wanna help me figure it out?
>>
>>793833
That's really cool anon. What kind of environment did you find it in? How do you look out for geodes?
>>
>>793833
whelp congrats anon, now you've got demons

https://youtu.be/ZOX6-Rw5PWc
>>
>>793835
I didn't find it myself, but geodes are roundish loose rocks that are cauliflower like in appearance
>>
>>793833

Oh shit, thay's pretty cool

0 experience with anything geological here, how did you know it was a geode? From what I understand geodes are half- empty rocks with sometimes cool stuff inside. Like easter eggs. It'd be fun to go hunting for some while outside. How dis you stumble into that one?
>>
Try dabbing a little vinegar or strong acid on a part of it. If it fizzes, it's most likely calcite.
>>
>>793833
Looks like calcite

t. actual geologist
>>
>>793833
Where on earth did you find this?

Off the cuff: calcite covered in iron oxide and clay. Long shot: quartz that formed under high temp or high pressure.
>>
>>793837
Thank you so much anon, I forgot about this movie
>>
>>793839
They're usually pretty round and have a shitload of dents all over them. Just look up Rock Hound Club near your city and they can teach you how to hunt them. If you wanna learn on your own though follow the guidelines I gave you and just start breaking rocks open, you'll learn by trial and error.
>>
File: IMG_20160615_001528.jpg (271 KB, 912x661) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160615_001528.jpg
271 KB, 912x661
>>793880
Not OP, but I'm a Kentuckyfag and these shits are EVERYWHERE. Mainly calcite, but some quartz, amethyst, and the prettiest agate you'll ever see are found in this great state.
Pic related
>>
>>793940

I don't live in America anon

Guess it'll be self taught hunting for me.

What kind of biome/geography do they show up in more often? As far as I'm aware my country is mostly made of sedimentary and crystalline geography

Also, do they have some kind of standard size, or is it really anything goes? You can find them as small as a nut or as big as your head?
>>
File: 1445643942897.gif (854 KB, 493x387) Image search: [Google]
1445643942897.gif
854 KB, 493x387
It's calcite, bro
Not uncommon, but still a nice find
>mfw geology thread on /out/
>>
>>793944
What country?
>>
>>794015

Southeastern Brazil
>>
>>793943
The thumbnail makes it look like a tiny little dude paddling around in his canoe on a tiny lake.
>>
>>793944
>sedimentary and crystalline geography
This means literally nothing, "crystalline" could describe any rock

Also, Brazil has a lot of geologic history, from the Quaternary deposits of the Amazon to Proterozoic metamorphic and igneous.
>>
>>794040
or maybe a burned and tormented soul trapped for eternity in grand prismatic spring
>>
>>794171

Er, my bad, it's the term they used way back in the day in school and I haven't rechecked it since. I mean crystalline shields. It's a mix of old as fuck geography and more recent, caused-by-erosion shit.

Either way what I mean is, Brazil is mostly sedimentary or pre-cambrian, at least according to what I remembr. Since it's in the middle of the tectonic plate we don't get earthquakes or seismic ativities a lot, so it's all pretty stable. There are a few exceptions here and there but mostly the geography has been an erosion fest for the past era. I need to pick up a geology book sometime so I can actually know what the fuck I'm talking about, thanks anon.
>>
>>793833
Could be gypsum crystals
>>
>>793833
kidney stone I believe
>>
anyone here do geodepooping?
>>
File: toilet.jpg (111 KB, 684x486) Image search: [Google]
toilet.jpg
111 KB, 684x486
>>795318
all the time bro
>>
>>795322
The point is to find geodes or buy them, crack them open and fill with poop then super glue back together.
Place in where they will be found by rockhounds and taken home.
>>
>>795322
y...you ... how much time did you spend on that anon?
>>
File: PS6.jpg (32 KB, 280x387) Image search: [Google]
PS6.jpg
32 KB, 280x387
>>795770
coupla minutes brah. i'm quick with PhotoStudio™
>>
File: 1458558705025.jpg (723 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1458558705025.jpg
723 KB, 2048x1536
>>795322
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.