[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've always wanted to load up with a ridiculous amount of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1456341427448.png (113 KB, 828x946) Image search: [Google]
1456341427448.png
113 KB, 828x946
I've always wanted to load up with a ridiculous amount of water, some whiskey, all the obvious camping supplies, and my guns and drive out from Missouri to a desert out west. I want to be able to be out in the middle of the desert with nobody around for miles and miles, just plink my guns at targets, and enjoy the scenery and atmosphere. I've always had a strong allure to the desert in general.

However, the only deserts I'm familiar with that are public and allow camping are the Mojave and Death Valley, which either prohibit firearm discharge for anything that isn't hunting, or in general, respectively. Where is somewhere I could go to enjoy myself in peace, without a federal Desert Ranger harassing me for just shooting, meandering the desert, camping, and having a few drinks under the 0-light-pollution sky?
>>
File: all_us_public_lands_0.jpg (3 MB, 2400x1844) Image search: [Google]
all_us_public_lands_0.jpg
3 MB, 2400x1844
The red spots
>>
>>793152
There are plenty of places near joshua tree where you could do this.
>>
>>793154
I was told anything BLM owned was a good zone if it's not a park. Mostly, I'm curious as to what the best option would be to be safe shooting, and very far off and secluded.

I wouldn't be hunting or anything. Interesting wildlife and scenery would be a huge plus.
>>
>>793162
Try Ladron Peak.
>>
>>793162
Most places that allow you to hike off the trail and camp outside campgrounds will probably also allow target shooting.
>>
>>793195
See my post above about Ladron. When you're going in, it's a lone mountain, surrounded by desert, with a random shooting range (no gates, no fees) with silhouettes out to 700 or 800 yards. You can shoot damned near anywhere out there, it looks like flat shitty desert, then the next thing you know, you're in a canyon with a creek running through it, and the mountain itself is completely undeveloped. There aren't even any man made trails. If you're lucky, you'll see bighorn sheep. I've seen some decent (330-350 class) bull elk there, and the area has had some 400+ class bulls pulled out of there. If you hike to the top of the mountain, there are pines and other species not found around the base, making it a sky island. There are also caves, though I've never actually found any. I've never looked either, but I do know that they exist. It's also one of the few places where if you hear tales about gold or silver being stashed there after a robbery, it might very well be true.
>>
>>793154
Great map, thanks
>>
>i want to partake in an activity that can turn life threatening really fast
>I wanna do it alone mile from nowhere
Atleast bring a friend man
>>
>>793162
>safe shooting

Any place with a proper backdrop. Like a single hillside or stream bed bank will work.
>>
>>793162
>I was told anything BLM owned was a good zone if it's not a park.
as far as i know, BLM is BLM. unless there is a sign specifically saying no shooting you're good. almost all the BLM in my area (CA sierras) is part of national forest.

if you're going to CA desert i would say go near slab city. however i would highly recommend the desert in nevada. NV doesn't give 2 shits about your guns, but CA does. land in NV is also cheaper if you wanted to buy like 100 acres. i think there was an anon on /k/ that bought some super cheap-o land in NV and wanted to do a west coast nuggetfest on it.
>>
>>793152
I mean honestly, OP most of the desert is so devoid of people that even if you are out shooting there's probably not really going to be anyone to stop you.
>>
>>793154
>>793357
> shooting guns on Indian Reservations

Good luck with that, dumbasses!
>>
>>793202
Ladron Creek sounds very badass, Ladron means thief.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.