[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey Have any of you done tree planting work up in Canada or United
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: treeplanting-scenery-9.jpg (48 KB, 667x500) Image search: [Google]
treeplanting-scenery-9.jpg
48 KB, 667x500
Hey
Have any of you done tree planting work up in Canada or United States? What did you think of your overall experience?
>>
File: Ten_tree_hi_res-36.jpg (520 KB, 951x633) Image search: [Google]
Ten_tree_hi_res-36.jpg
520 KB, 951x633
>>
How does one get involved in this?
>>
>>792888
I think there are planting agencies online that you can sign up to
>>
>>792888
>>792892
I'm moving in Dec/Jan and I was thinking of doing this to while-away the summer this year but i think it's too late to sign up now. Fuuggg.
>>
>>792895
May as well try, you never know there may be some openings where the season goes on longer in different parts of Canada
>>
>>792900
Canadian here. Yeah we've started treeplanting but if you're in it as an environmentalist I would advise against it. They're all gmo trees for logging companies.
>>
File: WP_20160118_005.jpg (3 MB, 3552x2000) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160118_005.jpg
3 MB, 3552x2000
Did alot of tree planting work for the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge. No evergreens, just dogwoods and other deciduous. Pretty much nothing but wetlands, but was cool to get out and see parts of the refuge most people don't.
>>
Decent money if you can get into the rhythm.

You need to be a fairly tolerant type, bugs and hippies abound at the workplace. Locals who don't want you around when you're in town.

You're outside, but you'll be in cut blocks all day; like a giant open field where any remaining veg has roasted to death in the sun. Desolate.

Do it for the experience though, nothing else quite like it and fairly unstructured work environment.
>>
>>794726
What's wrong with GMO trees? Would you rather they just clear-cut virgin Forrest's?
>>
>>797337
It depends on how transmissible genes from modified species might be able to cross over to unaltered trees, which could lead to possible negative developments among ecosystems. One rebuttal might be that "the ecosystems have been altered enough already, therefore what does it matter if we tweak them a little more?", or something along those lines. Some people just aren't willing to blindly accept what risks may lie in such alterations.
>>
>>797337
Still though, I'd definitely take a few altered patches over the endless clearcuts that I saw during my few years of planting on the BC coast. So many tourists don't even seem to know that a majority of the forests they see from the roadsides are nothing more than "beauty strips", which rarely measure more than 150 feet in length (from roadside to clearcuts). There are still patches of ancient beauty to be found in some of the northern islands & Haida Gwaii, but this province gets a huge chunk of its income from " resource" extraction, so the devastation ain't really that surprising.
>>
>>797872
>Devastation

>>797871
>My high school science teacher said it was bad

And yet you guys support unlimited immigration which actually does harm the environment and benefits no one but politicians
>>
I've done this job for 6 years, I'm out on workers comp because I fucked up my hand while planting.

Here's what I think.

The job is incredibly mundane. At its very best, with great weather and terrific prices, youll only be slightly content. The issue is the general jewery involved. You are pushed to work as hard as possible, to the point where sitting down to rest at any point during your 12 hour day will not be tolerated or if youre lucky youll just be laughed at behind your back.

The money is okay, but not when you factor in the fact that you are uprooting yourself solely to act as a treeplanting robot for a contractor who does not give a fuck about your wellbeing.

I make on average 350 a day, and to me it isn't worth it anymore. I plan on finishing the season in July to get on EI in order to pay for woodworking supplies. I'll be picking mushrooms at my leisure next summer for cash flow.

Ask me any questions too.

TL;DR:

I do not recommend it. Also tons of retard hippies.
>>
>>797962
I think I'll stick to Tree Surgery and Forestry then
>>
>>797883
Canada's just the name of the place I live in. Even though I lean far left in the political sense, I'm still heavily against many forms of immigration. Not everybody who lives here follows the national stereotypes, & all that jazz.
>>
>>798812
I feel you. I'm basically 100% against immigration for those reasons. Canada has a harsh climate and relies on fossil fuels to heat houses and get anything done. The less people the better.

The left has done a great job brainwashing everyone with the paradox of more people = better while having more people = bad.

We are certainly in the VAST minority. No one voices these opinions in public. Even Alberta is giving ground to the lgbt liberal propaganda.
>>
>>798823
Mate, the world is a harsh climate and the world relies on fossil fuels to do everything. 3%of the world's energy is from non fossil fuels and we'll be lucky if that reaches 10% in the next four years. V unlikely.

At least Canada has loads of gas and oil to heat those people (and very little industry to consume it)
>>
>>792832
Many of my housemates have tree planted for years. They've loved it, but none are rich and yet they keep going back. If you like the outdoors and can handle the black flies then go for it. But from talking to them, it really really isn't for the feint of heart
>>
>>798823
Unless you agree with unlimited immigration you are literally Hitler but you also have to pretend to care about carbon footprints while ignoring all the new carbon footprints and suburbs and stores and roads and consumerism you are subsidizing. This incongruence will lead you to take crazy pills and your cock will stop working but you won't care anymore
>>
>>797962
350 a day?? is this average pay for everyone?
>>
>>799125
Certainly not. My first year I probably averaged 150. I don't stop planting at any time really. Its brutally hard work for what you get. You also work in the hardest rain. I planted during the Calgary flood all day. Shitty stuff.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.