[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dispersed Camping in State and National Forests
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: Map-DNRforests.jpg (42 KB, 410x450) Image search: [Google]
Map-DNRforests.jpg
42 KB, 410x450
I've only ever camped in state rec areas or forest campgrounds, but I want to start doing some dispersed camping in state or national forests. It seems like a nice way to get away from people and enjoy nature. I've done a little bit of research but I'm still not sure about some things. Can I just park my car on the side of a forest road and hike in to some random spot and camp for a few days? Do I have to get any special permits or pay anything? Are there any special rules about fires or firewood I should know about I live in Michigan by the way. Any tips or stories about random camping would be appreciated too.
>>
>>791935
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365_10883_58648---,00.html

>Dispersed camping can take place on state-owned land other than state parks, recreation areas, state forest campgrounds or state game area campgrounds, and is free of charge. You can camp anywhere on state forest property as long as:

>the property is not posted "No Camping"
>you follow all State Land Rules
>you are more than one mile from a designated state forest campground

>You must also post a Camp Registration Card at your campsite. Post this card prominently at the campsite before making camp and leave it posted upon departure

Seems like it's just a simple matter of printing off that card, then going innawoods.

Here's the state land rules:
http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/RecreationCamping/IC3003-1_Park%20Rules_Poster.pdf
>>
File: 20160509_202542~2.jpg (2 MB, 3937x2386) Image search: [Google]
20160509_202542~2.jpg
2 MB, 3937x2386
I suggest just calling a DNR field office/customer service center or USFS headquarters near the state/national forest you intend to camp in. Im not sure about the parking, but the rest is straight forward (print off the free permit, attach near campsite, only collect firewood from ground, stay no longer than 14 days in one spot, and be at least 1 mile from a designated trail or campground, clean up). The parking issue might depend on the situation (i.e. would you plan be parking along a major roadway or just on some shitty pull-off on a logging road). To be safe you could park at a trailhead or day-use area and let them know which car is yours.

I work for michigan dnr but neither for forestry division or at an office. Search the michigan website for the phone numbers otherwise i can get them for u tomorrow.
>>
>>791935
>>792131
where at in MI? I'm from Lansing area myself
>>
>>792117
>>792131
Thanks for the replies, I'm actually surprised the land rules are so lenient. The only part I still have questions about is parking. I'm sure it would be fine to park on the side of some old logging road or dirt trail, but my car is not built for dirt roads so I don't know how far in I could get before having to park and hike the rest of the way. I'll probably just end up calling whatever forest unit I plan on staying in to find out.
>>
>>792137
Probably Gladwin State Forest or Huron National Forest, they are the closest to me. I only know of a few spots to camp in them though. I haven't had many chances to go camping since the winter
>>
>>792218
I think Gladwin state forest used to be called Au Sable state forest
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.