[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best ways to invest in a future where I can spend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: 01395139393113.jpg (60 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
01395139393113.jpg
60 KB, 500x667
What are the best ways to invest in a future where I can spend lots of time going to new places and being outdoors? Without being a full on hobo I mean.

I currently am at rock bottom financially and have practically nothing to my name but i want to go experience the outdoors and I'm not sure what's the most suitable lifestyle for that would be job/work wise.

sorry if this is a vague or common question.
>>
>>791913
Get a high paying job and live like you have a low paying job.
>>
Why not just hobo it up? You dont have to spend forever at it. Give yourself a taste, then maybe you will get a little bit of it out of your system and you can do what the other anon said
>>791955
For extra ridiculous money. Save up a bit and buy a van/camper truck/rv to live in so you dont have to pay rent
>>
>>791913
Where do you live?
>>
>>791913
Military?
Pays for education, training, world travel, room/board/meals...
>>
>>791913
Start a youtube channel and shill like a madman
>>
>>792165
Not OP but I've tried that and it's slow goin'. And what my youtube channel is about is perfect for traveling and going places, if the right person would see it and hire me :c
>>
File: 1463155350796s.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1463155350796s.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
I apologize if you've heard this all before and you're just stuck in a low paying shithole, however, if not, this could be helpful.

I recommend reading mrmoneymustache.com. He's a financial blogger focused mainly on one thing: getting enough money to do whatever you want. In your case, travelling. Which is good, too, because travelling can be a relatively cheap lifetsyle if done right. To sum up his what his blog says:

Save 50-80% of your income and invest everything you can in Vanguard index funds, one good one being VTSAX, their Total Stock Market Index. The reasoning being that the total stock market, as a whole, has returned an average of 7% return annually after inflation. Yes there will be ups and downs, so toughen up cupcake and leave your money in there, the only possible exception being you are starving or dying of thirst. If not, it stays. the fuck. in there. And you will make money. Because after time passes, you'll get your average return (historically speaking..).

Ok what I thought would be a small list of points ended up being long because I didn't want to give suggestions without reasoning. So apologies.

Next is just live close to work, commute by car as little as you can, and downsize on living space so you pay less every month.

Those are the 3 highest expenses draining your money, and the spiel about investing is the most effective way to gain more money outside of improving your career (so if you're stuck in a downward spiraling job keeping you at low wages forever, look to investing).

And that's it. Now, this strategy won't have you travelling the world in a week. You need to seriously work your ass off and save your money for several years. But if your travelling expenses are 5-10k yearly, you can be travelling almost indefinitely in as little as 5 years (proof for that at http://earlyretirementextreme.com/).

So a lil bit of prep goes a long way. If u don't want me proselytizing I'll go away :)
>>
File: indianaswampsbloom.png (2 MB, 1023x766) Image search: [Google]
indianaswampsbloom.png
2 MB, 1023x766
Do extended stays WWOOFing or with WorkAway.
>>
>>791913
Work seasonal jobs. I'm currently working for a rafting company in Alaska. This last winter I worked at a ski lodge 8500ft up the Wasatch mountains in Utah.

Lots of my coworkers work overseas and travel in the shoulder seasons.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.