[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You're going on a five day hike. You can expect rain, cold
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: heavy-backpack.jpg (136 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
heavy-backpack.jpg
136 KB, 550x413
You're going on a five day hike. You can expect rain, cold nights, and significant elevation change. There will be no deserts or associated heat extremes. There will be no shelters or resupply along the way, though there will be ground water (which needs to be purified somehow). You're hiking for recreation, not competition or survival.

How much does your pack way?
>>
>>791687
14-15kg at the start, I prefer to have a prudent amount of gear when going solo.
>>
3 kg
>>
I'd say about 40lbs.

I'm a pretty big guy so I need a lot of food. For five days I'd need 10-12lbs of food, plus I'd want 2-3L of water on me at any point in time. So that's about 15-18lbs of consumables at the onset. Pack, bivi, tarp, sleeping bag, pad, raingear, clothes, filter, stove, and creature comforts all add up as well.

I really need to buy a lighter pack though. And I tend to pack with the expectation of colder conditions than I actually end up encountering.
>>
>>791687
Only 5 days isn't much at all especially with water sources along the way. Good thing since 40+ pounds of water is a real bear to hike around at least it'd be reduced by about 8lbs a day. lol

My pack weight would be around 20lbs most likely. Most of that is camera equipment.

10lbs camera equipment
1lbs stove/fire starting gear
1lbs cooking utensils/vessels/snares/pocket fishing kit
3lbs sleeping gear
5lbs dehydrated foods and seasonings

At least in my area I know all the edible flora, when/where it grows, and how to utilize it. Where there's water there are normally crayfish and fish, but the former is always a sure thing more than the latter. Snares would be setup every evening and checked every morning before breakfast.
>>
>>791714
>5lbs dehydrated foods and seasonings

5lbs is 80 ounces.

A 150lbs man will need 2000 calories/day to maintain body weight while sedentary. That same man is going to burn between 100 and 400 calories/hour while hiking with a 20lbs pack. So lets say that you're burning between 3000 and 3500 calories per day, or between 15,000 and 17,500 calories for the whole trip.

To get 15,000+ calories out of 80 ounces you basically have to be consuming nothing but the most calorie dense foods possible. You're basically limited to chugging olive oil.

tl;dr - your food weight estimate is way, way low.
>>
>>792045
Forgot to add that 15,000 to 17,500 calories in 80 ounces is between 187.5 and 218.75 calories/ounce. Not even nutella or peanut butter is that dense.
>>
>>791714
except 99% of edible flora won't get you to your caloric goal.
>>
>>792051
True, but some fresh greens really help making dehydrated food edible.
>>
Wtf is a lb???
>>
>>792062
7000 grains, 1/14 of a stone, or 28 ounces.
>>
>>792062
it's for people that cannot into metrics, so likely he is from either Burma, Liberia or that other country (always forget its name).
>>
>>792045
>>792051
Are you two smoking crack or just miss the snares and fishing equipment? I don't bring all the food I'll be eating, why would I?
>>
>>792070
Because the most likely scenario is that you won't catch enough game or fish to make up the deficit in calories?
>>
30 lbs if I take a tarp instead of my tent. I once hiked 5 days with a 45lb pack, kinda sucked. My pack wasn't great though and I should have prepared more physically. I got it down to 30 though which is very comfortable.
>>
>>791697

oh so about 2lbs of food per day? Sounds about the average amount of food for hiking that most people require and most hiking resources state you'll need. Ironic that I was ridiculed for suggesting this exact figure once in a previous thread....
>>
>>792085
It's a pretty good figure to shoot for. Good trail foods are between 100 and 150 calories per ounce. Dry pasta, for example, is about 110 calories per ounce. Instant oatmeal about 105.

So if your average food density is 125 calories per ounce, then a pound of food is 3500 calories, discounting packaging. That's enough for a few hours of light hiking for a 150lb man with a 20lb pack. So one pound of food per day is the bare minimum.

Heaver man, more calories. Heavier pack, more calories. More difficult hiking, more calories. More than a few hours hiking, more calories. Mountains, more calories.

You can get away with a calorie deficit for short hikes, but it'll catch up to you over time.
>>
>>792091

nice breakdown. 2lbs per day is about what I carry on 5 day hikes with a 30-35lb pack. I'm 5'11, 205lbs.
>>
>>792091
i bulk at 3500 calories and im 170lbs lean right now. how on earth is 3500 calories only enough for a few hours of hiking. how fat r u.
>>
>>792168
>>792091
never mind read it wrong thank god
>>
File: 9kg.jpg (596 KB, 1568x2312) Image search: [Google]
9kg.jpg
596 KB, 1568x2312
>>791687
9kg total, what am i missing? I count about 6kg of food and water, 2-3kg of sleeping and misc items.

sleep system is roll out into a lean-to tarp shelter if raining, all the rope lines are tied on and prepared.

Would be real nice to catch a rabbit to thicken my vegetable stew, so normally I would add a rifle and ammo, but OP did not specify if hunting was allowed.

I cover more than the required distance every day and I have time to make myself walking poles and maybe a little chair or weave a basket, wash some underwear and socks, look for animal tracks, rob some hikers down the trail. Just walking day after day with a heavy pack seems boring and a good way to ruin your feet.
>>
>>792270

20lbs is pretty good bro, good job getting your 5 day pack down that low. I guess I'm not as experienced as you, I feel like I can't get my pack below 25 lbs for a 5 day trip. But 25 is pretty light for 5 days anyway. I guess it's really just down to preference at that point. If you feel good about it, you're not missing anything!
>>
>>792270
I sincerely hope this is a joke considering the word "hike"
>>
>>792293
Please elaborate
>>
>>792300
I suspect he believes my equipment is not sufficient for rocky terrain and climbing.

>>792293

I dont like hiking boots and I think backpacks are overrated unless you NEED to carry over 50lbs. Over the shoulder sling bags, haversacks and dufflebags are fine, 5 days is pushing it but canvas is durable and all my things are either fine wet or quick drying.

I've free climbed and bouldered in canvas shoes before, I like how quickly they dry when wet, their weight, grip, flexibility.

One begs the question why would you hike in 5 days of wet and cold miserable weather, and if you choose to be out there is it better to dry quickly or try to fight nature and avoid getting wet.

5 days with your kit might be 3 days with mine.
>>
>>792270
Why are you taking bread and raw vegetables on a five day hike? That's the opposite of calorie dense.

Carrots and onions are both 12 calories/ounce
Potatoes are 20 calories/ounce
Dense whole grain bread is 68 calories and will get fucking mangled while in a pack.

Not only will you have to take huge sacks of vegetables to get the calories you need, but you'll also have to use absurd amounts of fuel and spend hours cooking them.

Where is your sleeping pad? Where is your water purification method?

Have you ever spent more than one night outdoors without resupply?
>>
>70l bag
>10kg base weight
>2kg water
>2-4kg food
>>
>>792502
This, roughly
>>
>>792076
That's never happened yet.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.