[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flashlight Range
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: download (1).jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7 KB, 259x194
I need to know for an RPG. Thought this place would be where I needed to go.

What's the range of a portable reliable flashlight? I'm not looking for specific brands, I just need a general number in meters. I don't know the specific details, but it would most likely be an LED light, able to be warn on a harness or hand portable.

On a related and *extremely* important note, I'd like to know if there's some sort of regulation on how powerful they can be: like, can they be bright enough to blind anyone from a certain distance? Or deal permanent damage?

Thanks
>>
>>791066
fag,

theres a lot of variation between a keychain aaa torch and a search and rescue multiple cell 18650 torch.

just say 30-100m range average I don't fucking know.

as for blinding, no. stunning, sure, especially with some of the disorientating strobes on tactical lights.
>>
>>791066
25m for a little bullshit light. 100m for a nice 75-200 dollar high lumen light. But we had 600m lights in the army that mounted on 50 cals.
>>
>>791073
>>791072
Thanks, I'd imagine 600m would work best considering this RPG takes place in a distant future with nano fabrication technology.
>>
>>791091
The 600m kamos we used in the army were 2k lumen pwered by 12v batteries and were hotter than the fucking 50cal barrel.

But write whatever you want for your space opera.
>>
File: Lupine-Wilma6_0.jpg (24 KB, 740x532) Image search: [Google]
Lupine-Wilma6_0.jpg
24 KB, 740x532
>>791096
>2k lumen
So almost as bright as a decent bicycle headlight.
>>
File: SKU233978b.jpg (121 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
SKU233978b.jpg
121 KB, 600x600
>>791066
i got mine pic related for $55 on aliexpress,hard to find for that muck money now
>>
i have this one. usb rechargeable
1300 lumens lithium ion.
Love not having to buy batteries
>>
>>791229
I seriosly doubt any bike lights are putting out 2k lumen. I have a 100 lumen focused light (bushnells) that is about as bright as my truck headlights.

I may very well be wrong but i think i remember the 50 cal lights were rated at 2k lumen. I know they were 600m lights because that was minimum interlocking fof. And i remember they were surefires and ran off 12v batteries. And i would touch a barrel before i touched one of those lights after using either.
>>
Here is a question for you guys.
If I tape two 150 lumen lights together and use them at the same time is that the same as 300 lumens?
Does it light up any further down the road?
>>
>>791847
Hard to tell what the scale of the flashlight other anon posted. 2k lumens is doable but it's how it goes about it, 4 LEDs with tiny reflectors and you're just going to spew out floody light - not necessarily best utilisation.

You can get 1000 lumen from 1x18650 in a pocket torch, to push beyond that you need to start running multiple cells.

>>791421
don't need a USB charged light for rechargeable, EVERYONE should be using either LiIon or NiMH chemistry cells - I just got a pack of eneloop xtras (2500mAh AA suwhweet opposed to regular 1900mAh)

rechargeables > alkaline

better performance
better capacity
cheaper in the long run (recharge 500 times vs buying throw aways 500 times)
better for the environment
>>
>>791858

No because lumens and lux are different characteristics.

You'll get 300 lumens of light because you're using two 150 lumens, but it won't throw any further because the lux for each torch remains the same.
>>
>>792584
>cheaper in the long run (recharge 500 times vs buying throw aways 500 times)
yeah and a dummy like you forget that you can find alkaline literally everywhere, contrary to your autistic shitty rechargeables where you need a fucking outlet
>>
>>793110
That's the point of having multiple charges sets. You will have enough parity that you won't need to recharge for a while.
And anywhere you can buy batteries will likely have an outlet you can use.
>>
>>793110
>autistic shitty rechargeables

>Rechargables
>Shitty
Enjoy having a fifth of your rated capacity when doing anything requiring more than a trickle of current.
Enjoy spending what I spend in a year on batteries every month.
Enjoy your terrible cold performance
Enjoy not being able to recharge your shit innawoods

Are you that same guy who went on an anti rechargable jihad in the flashlight thread a few months ago?
>>
>>793110
omg alkalines literally everywhere?

WOWZER

>alkaline literally everywhere
so when you run out you have to go to the shop and buy more but good thing they're literally everywhere

>rechargeable runs out
guess I have to go to the shop-oh hang on a minute I can just reach over and recharge my battery in my USB charger conveniently beside my computer.

or..

>whilst inna

>alkaline literally everywhere
oh I've run out, lemmi just go to the shop, oh hang on a minute IM IN THE FUCKING FOREST

And I'm the dummy. You're fucking RETARDED, son.

On every level NiMH is better.

>>793159
this guy gets it
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.