[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dealing with sunburns while /out/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 20160608_153316.jpg (874 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
20160608_153316.jpg
874 KB, 2240x1344
How does /out/ prevent and treat sunburns while innawoods or fishing on a lake?

I went out on my pontoon boat last Saturday and got second degree burns while on the lake.
>>
>>790943
>prevent
sunscreen
>treat
cold water, antihistamines, let it heal

your pic looks like you walked into some plant you shouldn't have and then got sun exposure.
>>
Prevent them by wearing long trousers, long shirts and wearing a hat with a wide brim.
>>
>>790961
agreed, this looks like the result of giant hogweeed rather than sunburn
>>
>>790943
There's this magical thing called fucking sunscreen, OP. It's only been around for the better part of a century.
>>
>>790943
Once you get a bad burn you might as well head home. I have never had a good time once i was burned.

Preventing it has many ways. I love fishing gear even on hikes. I try to wear long sleeves most of the time. Take hankerchiefs for neck. And buy giant bottles of no-ad.
>>
>>790943
Wear longsleeves and pants that are light. They'll also protect you from bugs and let you go through the bush easier.
>>
>>790946
>>790973
I promise you this is strictly from a severe sunburn.

I did wear sunscreen, but it was a low SPF, and I expected it to be a little overcast.
>>
Drink lots of water, take NSAIDs, keep the sunburn cool and uncovered, and use aloe for treatment

Sunscreen, limiting exposure between 11am and 2pm, wear a sombrero or bucket hat,and don't be Irish for prevention
>>
>>791249
I know the glory of NSAIDS and sunburns. and maybe I was just on the water during the wrong time. Like literally 9 to 3
>>
>>790943
Put on coconut oil (eat some as well) and/or aloe vera. Vitamin E rich food or supplements, Vitamin A and C also help healing.
>>
File: 1437897573457.png (153 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1437897573457.png
153 KB, 700x700
>>790943
>>791156

What the fuck? Did you have a magnifying glass aimed at your leg during the entire time you were out? I work outside all day, I don't typically wear sunscreen (cancer ahoy) and I have never, ever in my life even remotely burned that badly. My father burns worse than me and he has never been burned that bad. I have never met anyone who burned like that just from sun exposure. Did you perhaps wade through flame? Were you on fucking Mercury or Venus or some shit?
>>
>>790943
Just get some spf50 and actually reapply it every couple hours.
And to treat, get some aloe junk. There's a home remedy that involves dabbing your burns with a used tea bag or a towel that's wet from tea with the idea being tea is alkaline. I bet there's an equivalent backwoods method that crushes up leaves of something and uses that if you don't happen to be near civilization.
>>
>>791156
You'll still get burnt if it's overcast dumbfuck.
>>
>>790943
I just wsnted to tel you that your blistered retardedness made me go get my season burn.

I am a ghost level anglo. But i tan ok. And from the timei was young groeing up on texas beaches i always knew i had to getca burn each summer as a sort of base coat.

I went to the local pool. I taught some nigger kids how to do underwater flips. I used my dogtags to play find the penny with some mexican kids. And got a nice little burn.

I hurt right now and my skin is tight but in a week i will be summer ready.
>>
>>791361
It's how you sit on little one man rafts. My legs were literally inches from the reflection of the sun on the water.
>>791495
Wtf is wrong with your spelling? Is it intentional?
>>
>>790943
>be Anglo
>get thoroughly ass-fucked by fucking daylight
Cucked by the sun
>>
>>790977
This. I'm fucking sick of these humblebrag threads disguised as questions
>woah guys what do I do about my leg its so fucked up from the sun woah
>hey guys I sharpened my knife so well that I actually cut myself how do I prevent this haha
>woah hey now I built this 20 foot tall shelter but is this shingle is crooked maybe I should move it 2 inches to the left what does /out/ think

It's getting worse than /fit/
>>
>>791676
One of these things is not like the others.
>>
File: affirmativeanimeface.jpg (24 KB, 301x267) Image search: [Google]
affirmativeanimeface.jpg
24 KB, 301x267
>>791076
>>
>>790943
You have to re-apply your sunscreen more frequently, especially when you're on the water. Even then you should do what you can to try to keep your skin out of the way of direct reflections, either through some clothing or through some other means.

Also, try a much higher SPF with wider range protection. If you were using SPF 15 or 30 on the water then you probably deserve what you got, but you might want to consider jumping up to 80 or 90, instead of just the standard 50, if you find that you're getting burnt really quickly.

Always treat the situation as the worst case scenario and prepare for that, that way you won't get fucked when something unexpected happens.
>>
>>791676
Legless cripple detected
>>
Cold black tea. The tannins in the tea are very soothing to the skin. Soak a cloth in the tea and apply it to the burn.

It sounds odd but it's always worked for me.
>>
>>790943
>Dealing with sunburns while /out
I use fucking sunscreen
>>
>>791156
>and I expected it to be a little overcast.
This can be deceiving. UV intensity is often just as high, or almost as high on an overcast day as it is on a clear day
>>
>>790943

I wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, a boonie, wool mesh scarf around my neck and face, sun glasses/goggles, and I'll also wear gloves while hiking, especially at high altitudes: you might think the weather is pleasant but those exposed fingers are gonna burn quickly in the sun at 4000 meters up, plus you won't get your hands fucked up if you slip and fall.

In the wilderness I'm typically covered up head to toe, ironically the only time I get sun burned is if I'm getting drunk on a patio in the city.

>Treatment
I use an Austrian made menthol lanolin skin lotion, everytime I get sun burnt I'd use it, it's kind of a skin product for dandies, but it's so good for use in the wilderness, the lanolin seals your skin against the elements and the menthol soothes any burns or bites.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.