[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mullberries
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: mulberry-black.jpg (134 KB, 800x540) Image search: [Google]
mulberry-black.jpg
134 KB, 800x540
Hi /out/. These delicious little fuckers are almost ripe and they grow everywhere. This year I want to pick and store a bunch of them. Best ways to do this? I was going to wash them with water in a colander and put them in jars, but I feel this won't remove all the bugs and they'll be bad within a few weeks.
>>
>>790602
Freeze em.
>>
>>790618
will they be soft when they thaw?
>>
>>790628
Somewhat, yes, but it is the best way. I make wine with my extra after making jam and jelly. Add them to ice cream.
>>
>>790643
>jam and jelly
This is the best option.
>>
>>790628
>>790643
freeze is the way to go

it does damage the structure a bit, but it's going to be easier, faster, and likely keep the flavor better than trying to can them or something...

I wonder what they'd be like after drying
>>
Eat about 200 raw Ines and trip balls
>>
>>790602
Best way is to make them into delicious mulberry wine.
>>
>>791146
Every time someone post mulberries in /out/ some drug addict pops up in the thread and pots something inane. This place is getting worse than /b/.
>>
>>791146
I just went into my back yard and ate a shit ton hopefully it works
>>
I would avoid washing them before freezing. If you have to wash them do it after taking out of the freezer right away. I usually eat them right off the tree anyway and if them bugs arent even big enough to see its not worth ruining the berries
>>
>>791146
>>791283
>Unripe fruit and green parts of the plant have a white sap that may be toxic, stimulating, or mildly hallucinogenic.[15]
>All parts of white mulberry, except for the ripe fruit, contain a milky sap (latex) that is toxic to humans. Although humans may consume ripe mulberry fruit, ingestion of unripe fruit can result in stomach upset, stimulation of the nervous system and hallucinations. The sap is also an irritant, and contact with leaves and stems may result in varying degrees of skin irritation.

Nope
>>
>>790602
>bugs
Just eat the bugs. It's not necessarily bad for you.
>>
>>790602
make a jam or kompot
>>
>>791327
it didn't work, i felt a little different but it didn't work
>>
>>791037
They're not really much after drying them. I don't recommend it. Freezing would be the best for long term storage. We always just made jam with it though. If we weren't eating them fresh, it was going to become jam.
>>
>>791283
>>791146
>>791338
I've been eating mullberries my whole life. I pick about 10+ lbs ever summer, sometimes a lot more. I can assure you that the unripe berries are not hallucinogenic. I'm convinced people who write field guides do not actually try it but just repeat it to further the misinformation. I have eaten enough for 3 "doses" of unripe berries. At best I got a little nausea. C'mon guys, you are like 1 month away from delicious berries, don't be a retard.
>>
>>791648
Exactly my point of posting that. Drug addicts are fucking retards and think anything can get them high. I'm sure 90% of their trials end with placebo results.
>>
Make sugar syrup, put mullberries in jarstein, top of with said syrup, put the lid on. Put oven on 70 degrees Celsius, put jare inside for an hour, take 'em out and flip them on the lid for an hour. Unflip, keep in dry and dark place. Enjoy almost as fresh pasteurized mullberries for the months to come.
>>
File: burys.jpg (1 MB, 1810x1305) Image search: [Google]
burys.jpg
1 MB, 1810x1305
>>
Have a tree of these in my backyard, anyone know how to go about planting more of them from it? Ideally id like to have a good 4-5 more plants

I live in South Florida if it matters
>>
>>791934
Honestly I'd assume in your climate those fuckers would grow like weeds.

I used to live in Mobile, AL and mulberry trees ran rampant, it was a constant battle to keep them rom taking over.
>>
>>790602
While this may have been a "strange" thing to do, I once got mobbed by security for picking & eating mulberries that were growing off of a few trees in the parking lot of a nearby mall. After eating a bunch, I decided to go into a bookstore into the mall, and got cornered by 3 guys after reading something for a few minutes. They thought that I was trying to poison myself, but I told them that mulberries were perfectly edible. They seemed vaguely amused, but I honestly think that they didn't know that.

So many people that I've met have assumed that you can't eat them, at least until I've given them some jam or homemade fruit popsicles.
>>
>>791942
I had a couple more but they got knocked down in a tropical storm, since then I've only had the one tree

Tbh I don't see many of them around
>>
if i just wanted to start camping would it be easy
i wonder...i do need to connect with nature more

plus
i gootttta be more outdoorsy
>>
>>791648

As a silkworm, I've eaten a ton of leaves and all its done is made me fat and cause me to shed my skin a few times.

OK in all seriousness, if you're growing your own trees, remember that the new leaves are great for sericulture if you've tried that.
>>
>>792582
I just use spiders for my silk needs.
>>
>>792582
I think its only the white mullberries that silkworms eat (M. alba). I heard that sericulture doesn't work great in north america which is how they got introduced in the first place.
>>
>>791648
>people who write field guides do not actually try it but just repeat it to further the misinformation
This right here.
>>
>>792901

They work fine with our own mulberries, but be wary of trees you see in your neighborhood because pesticides WILL kill the worms.

There's a bunch of websites for hobby sericulture.
>>
File: scale.jpg (577 KB, 1983x1058) Image search: [Google]
scale.jpg
577 KB, 1983x1058
>>791648
>1 month away from delicious berries
Nom nom NOM!, been here all week!
>>791907,, heavy load.
>>
>>792986
Lucky! I live in Northern WI, where mullberries don't grow but I travel to the southern part of the state to pick them in the summer. Don't usually ripen until late June.
>>
File: mullburyed.jpg (1 MB, 1995x1271) Image search: [Google]
mullburyed.jpg
1 MB, 1995x1271
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.