[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lightweight folding knife
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 14
File: 1465525437923.jpg (926 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
1465525437923.jpg
926 KB, 1520x2688
Looking for a medium folding knife for backpacking, trying to keep weight down /k?
>>
>>790040
So actually go out shopping inna store, or are you an online, momma's credit card type fag?

If you are actually sincere, I suggest Big 5 (USA only) sale items. Think "Kershaw" = $20.

What are you, a total knifefag before your first knife?

Buy a fucking knife. ...oh, I get it, no Dad.
>>
File: SAK Workchamp.jpg (276 KB, 1500x1443) Image search: [Google]
SAK Workchamp.jpg
276 KB, 1500x1443
>>790040
Forget everything everyone else tells you and get this.

Your goal is to reduce weight and have a good, sharp, reliable knife? This is fucking it. Now you also don't need to carry a heavy-ass leatherman.
>>
File: 18-skeletool.jpg (15 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
18-skeletool.jpg
15 KB, 600x600
>>790062
200gm isn't light for a pocket carry anon, a Skeletool is ~160gm and significantly bigger plus plenty of 3" folders come in at around 80gm.
>>
Spyderco Delica in the pocket
Mora in the backpack
Alternatively an esee 6 in the backpack
>>
>>790089
I've actually carried both a skeletool and a workchamp, and found the skeletool to be more cumbersome and have lower quality tools (except for the pliers, which I use rarely on either tool)
>>
>>790095
A one handed opening knife, a bottle opener which doesn't need to be deployed, functioning pliers and about half as thick, I'm gonna agree to disagree there. I stopped carrying my fullsize SAK because it's just bulky in the pocket, thicker than my wallet and heavier too, handy in a backpack but not for carry IMO. I don't carry a skeletool either, still twice the weight of my carry folder, I was simply pointing out that the "heavy ass" leatherman was ~30% lighter and 50% thinner than the SAK you posted.
>>
Yeah I'm looking for a single task knife that might be skeletonized or have titanium involved
>>
File: BY04TI2_L.jpg (86 KB, 700x334) Image search: [Google]
BY04TI2_L.jpg
86 KB, 700x334
>>790143
If you are keen on titanium you could look at the upcoming Byrd Meadowlark, 2.8oz and probably going to be around $50 or if you can find one a CRKT M16-01T, or if you don't mind Aluminum the CRKT Ripple. If you look at non metallic handles the only ones that will comfortably fill the lightweight role will be FRN or variants of although the Kershaw Skyline is G10 and damned light.
>>
File: finn-wolf-20npf-large.jpg (79 KB, 710x272) Image search: [Google]
finn-wolf-20npf-large.jpg
79 KB, 710x272
Cold Steel Finn Wolf, 3.5 inch AUS8A scandi ground blade. only 3.4 oz. you can get it for 35 - 40 bucks. Cold Steels triad lock is a beast. I've batoned with mine and never had a lock failure.
>>
>>790053
jesus christ is there always this much edge here
>>
Opinel no.8 is a decent knife with a solid lock that weighs pretty much nothing.
>>
>>790178
Yeap, not sure why knives rustle so many jims.
>>
>>790172
came here to post this, lightweight knife with good ergonomics, high value, and rock solid lock up. only downsides is the lock can be a bit touchy on release sometimes and i wish it came in more colors.

closest thing Ive scene to a folding Mora
>>
File: opinel-no-8-inox2.jpg (2 MB, 2200x1391) Image search: [Google]
opinel-no-8-inox2.jpg
2 MB, 2200x1391
Opinel.
>>
>>790062
my leather man only weighs an ounce or 2 more than this with a better blade, saw, not wimpy pliers, and file that thing is way to heavy. that long shank Philips is sexy though. if you want good pliers you needs to have a leatherman style design no if ands or buts about it.
>>
>>790182
The lock is really tight out of box, but if you work on it it loosens up pretty quick. only took me a day to get it broken in.
>>
Good info, I wasn't looking for big 5 redneck garbage so I'm glad people started talking about quality stuff, 50 bucks sounds reasonable
>>
File: marlinspike.jpg (118 KB, 1470x1340) Image search: [Google]
marlinspike.jpg
118 KB, 1470x1340
Ever look at rigging knife? I feel like rigging knives would be good for backpackers. Of course they are for sailors but a backpacker could make very good use of a marlin-spike I feel since both sailors and backpackers work with line/rope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlinspike

https://www.amazon.com/Camillus-Carbonitride-Titanium-Folding-6-5-Inch/dp/B005LHGBB4
>>
>>790183
I would not recommend the stainless steel one, but it is really a GOAT knife considering its price and durability. The iron version is much better imo.

This knife costs less than 20 bucks and you get lots of shit done with it. To me 99% of the population of this board should use this kind of reliable, simple gear, Instead of those high tier world of warcraft gadgets blades we see too often.
>>
Buck Bantam.

I have one, it's light, sharp, holds and edge, and so far the folding mechanism is rock solid.

Excellent knife. There's a few styles of them, which I believe the only different is the blade length. They are like BHW BLW and BBW. Not sure which model is biggest or smallest.

They're $17-21 on amazon. Lots of colors to choose from if that's your thing.
>>
>>790095
skeletool cx has better blade tho
>>
File: 27TMCS_m.jpg (22 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
27TMCS_m.jpg
22 KB, 500x333
>>790040
love this one, very light very strong but sadly comes coated
>>
>>790445
>Locking
what a shame, its essentially exactly what folding knife im looking for atm
>>
File: offshore_.jpg (53 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
offshore_.jpg
53 KB, 750x750
>>790583

There are loads of non-locking riggers knives if that's what you are looking for. Essentially any of the 'traditional' old-style ones will be non-locking.

Just google 'rigging knife'.

Pic-related is mine (not my exact one, a picture from the internet of the same knife), though obviously not what you are looking for as it is a fixed blade.
>>
File: offshore.jpg (51 KB, 700x295) Image search: [Google]
offshore.jpg
51 KB, 700x295
>>790596

Woops, mine is the non-serrated version.

Also, in case it wasn't obvious, that spike is a marlinspike in a more traditional form as opposed to the folding marlinspike on a folding knife.
>>
File: shackle.jpg (17 KB, 352x355) Image search: [Google]
shackle.jpg
17 KB, 352x355
>>790600
>>790596

Oh, and the holes in the back of the knife and the handle of the marlinspike are shackle-keys, used for tightening/loosening shackles like this.
>>
>>790185
I flat out disagree on the blade. My SAK blade is always sharp and much easier to sharpen when dull.

The SAK also has a longer saw than the leatherman with a vastly better grip, so I'm not sure how you can say leatherman has a better saw... pliers, obviously have to go to the leatherman, but that's just it-- a leatherman is pliers first. I don't want a tool that's pliers first. I rarely have a need for pliers. They're just nice when they're there.
>>
>>790040

940-1 for dat carbon fiber weight savings
>>
>>790579
Seconded, ive had a buck knife for seven years and its still good as new.
>>
>>790179
This
>>790172
I usually shit on Cold Steel as mall ninja tacticool garbage but that looks pretty nice T.bH.
>>
File: eka swede 10.jpg (92 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
eka swede 10.jpg
92 KB, 720x540
>>790172
another scandi grind alternative is one of the folding knives from EKA
I have the EKA Swede 10 and I'm happy with it. It weighs 130 gr (4.5 oz), and is a pretty slim folding knife.
Well, I haven't acyually tried batoning with it yet. But it's a folder, I don't really use folders for batoning. But it feels like a robust knife, for a folding knife.
>>
>>790596
if he is an uk fag then locking and fix is the same for him, he will be harrassed by the police if he has it on him.
frankly poland has the best knife laws in eu know of. no restrictions except don't use them on humans.
>>
>>790172
>>790182
>>790756
>>790840

AUS8 steel

that's going to hold an edge like butter m8.

as for light weight and inexpensive >>790183 this guy gets it. get the carbon steel blade, sick it in a spud overnight to force a patina and it will serve you well
>>
>>790942
>that's going to hold an edge like butter m8.
1 you are a retard it entirely depends on the heat treat it's kinda like a 440B/C.
2 aus8 selling point is not edge retention but durability it's bloody unlikely it will break.
>>
>>790947

read up on that knife, it's a cs finn wolf, they are notorious for the steel being too soft, and the edges rolling and tearing.

they end up so toothy it looks like a hippo's smile
>>
>>790942
Funnily enough, tested back to back the stainless 12c27 Opinel holds an edge better than the XC90 carbon version.
>>
>>791002
Interesting, can you link the source for that?
>>
>>791195
>http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/793481-Ranking-of-Steels-in-Categories-based-on-Edge-Retention-cutting-5-8-quot-rope

>12c27 MOD - 120 - Opinel #8 - .012" behind the edge
>XC90 - 80 - Opinel #8 - .012" behind the edge
So in this case, same knife, same grind, same edge finish and the stainless is give or take 50% better. Chromium cops a lot of shit but it's actually a material that aids in wear resistance, as that comparison shows.
>>
>>790040
Price range?
Spyderco Endura and Delica are 3.67oz and 2.5oz respectively.
Kershaw skyline is a good budget option and 2.5oz
>>
>>790942
Why would you force a patina? They happen quick enough enough, trying to force it seems pointless.

Plus if you really want to do it, stick that bitch in a good mango or pineapple, it'll be way faster.
>>
Manix 2 FRN

C101PDBL2

2.9oz, 3 3/8'', s110v
>>
>>790976
cs might be girding the edge at too high speed over-annealing the steel if it's not self hardening tool steel it will not tolerate that.

i don't know, shit like this can happen let's hope they fix it.
>>
>>790178
well it is a knife thread
>>
>>790179
>>790183

the answer is always Opinel.

>>790053
dude shut the fuck up. we were all there at one point. save that shit for /pol/ or /b/
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.